Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do We Melt or Smelt

I use the term "render" as in I rendered those wheel weights down to ingots.

The definition of render is "to melt or to combine elements".

Just thought I'd add this to the discussion..

Denny

Boolit Master
    Quote "iitc a smelt is a salt water fish - smelting is extracting metal from ore as already stated"

"Smelt" IS a small fish!!! "Smelting" is what we do when we set out to catch said fish!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Buddy
    Molten is as Moulten does!

Liquify to fluidity!

Boolit Master
    If you understand with 100% certainty what is being communicated, what difference does it make?

Smelt, melt,Who gives a flying. Just get there.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    If you understand with 100% certainty what is being communicated, what difference does it make?
    Do we know with 100 percent reliability what someone means? How do we establish that with perfection with 100 percent meaning that there is no room for error. So if there is no room for error that it must be perfect.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wddodge View Post
    I use the term "render" as in I rendered those wheel weights down to ingots.

The definition of render is "to melt or to combine elements".

Just thought I'd add this to the discussion..

Denny
    Render also means make. You render (melt) your wheelweights to render (make).bullets from your rendering (melting) of the wheelweights to making renderings of bullets by molding them.

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Render also means make. You render (melt) your wheelweights to render (make).bullets from your rendering (melting) of the wheelweights to making renderings of bullets by molding them.
    LOL!!

Denny

Boolit Master
    Most of us melt lead to make ingots separate from melting lead to make bullets. Our slang word for "melting lead to make ingots" is smelt. Saves time from saying or typing "melting lead to make ingots". And the other side is "melting lead to make bullets". That slang word is melt. Saves time and bandwidth to say melt. Our slang for different operations is fine just like the slang used to describe computer operations. Sometimes you go to different places and the word you use has a whole nother meaning and can get you in trouble or laughed at. You should try southern Mississippi cajun in central Ohio or Miami Fla.

Boolit Master
    So when we make bullets we smelt the metal from the ore. Then after we do that we refine the metal by fluxing
    and cleaning and we render bullets by casting the metal into a mold to render bullets?
    OR, do we melt the ingots we render(make) for making(rendering) bullets by injecting the alloy into a mold to produce bullets?
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 01-21-2023 at 03:16 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

ob·tuse
    /əbˈto͞os,äbˈto͞os/
    adjective
    1. annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand.
    "he wondered if the doctor was being deliberately obtuse"
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Obtuse is much kinder than what my wife calls me. That couldn't be typed on here.

Boolit Master
    “Process”

It’s got two syllables, so it’s better than smelt or melt. Amirite?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    “Process”

It’s got two syllables, so it’s better than smelt or melt. Amirite?
    Urrite, uamrite, urcrect, urbrite.

Boolit Master
    I schmelt wheel weights, turning them into clean alloy for casting my boolits.
    Boolit
    Bü·​lit
    noun
    A projectile, cast from lead. In cases where the lead was not schmelted properly, accuracy may suffer.

Boolit Master
    I meltfluxrefinecast while I render over a hot pot dreaming of the elusive cast bullets that will turn me into the next shooting phenomenon like most try to do while at the same time knowing it isn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Most of us melt lead to make ingots separate from melting lead to make bullets. Our slang word for "melting lead to make ingots" is smelt. Saves time from saying or typing "melting lead to make ingots". And the other side is "melting lead to make bullets". That slang word is melt. Saves time and bandwidth to say melt. Our slang for different operations is fine just like the slang used to describe computer operations. Sometimes you go to different places and the word you use has a whole nother meaning and can get you in trouble or laughed at. You should try southern Mississippi cajun in central Ohio or Miami Fla.

Y'all may not believe it (I could never convince my EX) but WORDS actually MEAN THINGS!
    If you really want to save time and reduce the chance of misunderstanding, then use the correct WORD.
    You want to express a thought or explain an idea or concept or process, chances are there's already a WORD for it.

For instance...
    Smelt: Reduce from ore. That's not what we do. As hobbyists, most of us don't have the equipment or knowledge.

Render: Melt and clarify. That's much more descriptive of what we do. Simple and straightforward, although we often make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Cast: Shape in a mold. WOW...whodathunk there'd be such a simple way to say that.

I know i'm "wasting bandwidth" here and nobody's going to change their ways just on my say so, but if you're really concerned about people misunderstanding what you're trying to say then maybe you should consider that some very smart people have written HUGE books full of WORDS and WHAT THEY ACTUALLY MEAN, rather than making up your own definitions and your own words (sorry BoolitMan) and then have to explain what you mean to every noobie who comes along.

Hokay... I'm through ranting now. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

jsizemore...all in fun. No offense meant. BLESS YOUR HEART!
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master
    I hate to tell you. The big book people add words and meanings as they go.

It's your keyboard. Make yourself HAPPY!

44MAG#1, I hope you are happy with yourself. Now we will have to wait another year for this thread to "MELT INTO THE LANDSCAPE."
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    smelt
    /smelt/
    verb
    extract (metal) from its ore by a process involving heating and melting.
    We all know what melt is.
    If, I say, IF, you were for example, extracting all the lead in old lead-acid batteries that had sulfated, that would be smelting, as you're reducing the lead sulfate to lead. Otherwise you're just melting lead. Temperature and additives to assist in breaking down the sulfate make the difference. As I understand it, and I'm no expert.

Bill

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast