RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Point

Boolit Master

Hi Point

I missed out on a Remington Rolling Block M1867 at a gun show last week, but I found another RB at a store not too far away. I went and checked it out - it was in tough shape, and the caliber was unknown - either 43 Spanish or 43 Egyptian. Someone had carved R.A.T. in the stock. I'll pass. A store in the next town over had a used HiPoint 995 9mm so I decided to head over there. But, the store with the RB had brand new 995s in the box at a decent price. They had 9mm, 45 ACP and I think 40 S&W. I left with a 9mm and a pound of TiteGroup ($31).
    I don't think I've ever bought a new rifle/carbine in a box. Almost too pretty to take out.
    I don't have to buy new dies, brass, bullets, etc.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe if i can get good with a high piont trigger it will help with all others. fun rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I missed out on a Remington Rolling Block M1867 at a gun show last week, but I found another RB at a store not too far away. I went and checked it out - it was in tough shape, and the caliber was unknown - either 43 Spanish or 43 Egyptian. Someone had carved R.A.T. in the stock. I'll pass. A store in the next town over had a used HiPoint 995 9mm so I decided to head over there. But, the store with the RB had brand new 995s in the box at a decent price. They had 9mm, 45 ACP and I think 40 S&W. I left with a 9mm and a pound of TiteGroup ($31).
    I don't think I've ever bought a new rifle/carbine in a box. Almost too pretty to take out.
    I don't have to buy new dies, brass, bullets, etc.
    Nice...
    I have had mine for about a year.
    It's a hoot to shoot and no brass "processing".

Just dropped it into a High Tower Armory Bullpup Stock.
    Haven't shot it yet though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PupS.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	306954

https://www.hightowerarmory.com/High...-9mm_p_50.html
    jmo,
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Wow, that looks really good! Please post back about how well it functions.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I have had a HP 45acp carbine pretty much since they came out. It eats any ammo.. has never had a stoppage. I have 2000$ guns that can't say that....

On the flip side.. it's fairly ugly and klunky.. and the magazine is real ugly.. and the floor plate is bigger than a door stop... but.... it works.

If they made one that was Glock mag compatible that would be an instant buy for me. That High Tower stock looks really cool, like a Steyr AUG.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Wow, that looks really good! Please post back about how well it functions.
    Well, I already can tell the trigger is worse than in the oem stock.
    The conversion adds a couple more elements to the trigger mechanism, earlier kits had some trigger adjustability, but that proved to be beyond the scope of most who purchased it and caused a lot of drama for HTA, so they removed it.

As to the gun in the original/stock configuration, the 1st thing I did was disable those springs in the stock.
    When shot, the springs in the stock compress and the stock slides along your cheek.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master
    I'll keep the stock spring compression in mind. I haven't shot it yet but how much recoil does a 9mm produce? I might buy another mag. Here in MA we're limited to 10 rounds.
    That little screwdriver/wrench tool that came with it is pretty handy.
    Mine came with a scope. I put it on but everything looks really far away...
    Actually, I've never had a scoped rifle before. Might be interesting.

Boolit Master

I have had a 995 for a few years now. While it is not one the most accurate or attractive rifle I own it is one of the most fun and cheapest to shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Nice...
    I have had mine for about a year.
    It's a hoot to shoot and no brass "processing".

Just dropped it into a High Tower Armory Bullpup Stock.
    Haven't shot it yet though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PupS.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	306954

https://www.hightowerarmory.com/High...-9mm_p_50.html
    jmo,
    I picked up a 10mm, really like it, I was looking at those high tower stocks but the turn off for me is that bar across the front of the grip, is it removable?
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master
    I brought it to the range today and fired 50 or so rounds. The trigger is pretty bad - it reminds me of a Super Soaker squirt gun. But it works. It wouldn't pick up the first round from the mag without working the charging handle twice, but that shouldn't be hard to fix. It never jammed or missed picking up a round when it was firing. I hit the gong at 100 yds just about every time. But, like Kenstone said, that compressing stock drags across your face like an old razor. I actually tied one of those useless blue surgical masks onto the stock and it was fine.
    All in all, it was a good purchase.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnug View Post
    I picked up a 10mm, really like it, I was looking at those high tower stocks but the turn off for me is that bar across the front of the grip, is it removable?
    Why yes, it is removable and HTA provides a couple of fillers to bolt on when that bar is removed.
    I thought about removing it, but it could be a good place for your other hand while shooting.
    That remains to be tested though, still have not shot it.

Boolit Master
    What about replacing the sear spring with an M Carbo spring to lighten the trigger pull? Is it worth it or do the triggers break in over time? Would that effect the warranty?
    https://www.mcarbo.com/hi-point-carb...pring-kit.aspx

Ater reading some more, I don't think it's worth modifying the sear/trigger set-up for a lighter trigger pull (2-3 lbs lighter).
    Last edited by Battis; 11-19-2022 at 06:05 PM.

I'll keep the stock spring compression in mind. I haven't shot it yet but how much recoil does a 9mm produce? I might buy another mag. Here in MA we're limited to 10 rounds.
    Doesn't the Hi Point have an evil threaded barrel and pistol grip? Are such things allowed where you are at?

Boolit Master
    It has a threaded muzzle, but no scary pistol grip. And the 10 rd mag is no problem because that's all we're allowed. It's a shame that we don't have a republican governor...oh wait, we do. We also had another republican governor named Romney. This state's turning into a RINO petting zoo.

Boolit Master

If we are looking at the same rifle I don't know how you do not see a pistol grip.

Boolit Master
    It's the front drop-down grip that's a problem. Mine doesn't have one. I bought it in MA and the dealers here are extra cautious about what they sell. Apparently the pistol grip you're talking about is fine.

And then again, maybe the drop down front grip is fine.
    Anyways, 10 rd mags are the limit. And each rifle is registered.
    Last edited by Battis; 11-19-2022 at 09:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    What about replacing the sear spring with an M Carbo spring to lighten the trigger pull? Is it worth it or do the triggers break in over time? Would that effect the warranty?
    https://www.mcarbo.com/hi-point-carb...pring-kit.aspx

Ater reading some more, I don't think it's worth modifying the sear/trigger set-up for a lighter trigger pull (2-3 lbs lighter).
    Yes, some owner mentioned that mcarbo sear spring to either hi point or high tower and they went ballistic and recommended he never change the sear spring.
    I have read that that spring can cause full auto 'til empty, not a good thing, and mcarbo recalled an older design spring sometime back too.

As far as the charging bar deal, I think there might be some kind of buffer back there, making the last 1/8 to 1/4 inch of stroke difficult.
    The charge bar knob on the Hi Point is small and spins, making it even more difficult to operate forcefully.
    That handle on the HTA bullpup is somewhat bigger/doesn't rotate but would still be better if bigger.
    It is plastic and has some hard edges, but I wrapped a 2.0x26 band around it for some improvement.
    A 2.0x26 band is a piece of bicycle innertube, similar to a 400x18 band, a piece of motorcycle innertube.
    jmo,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Doesn't the Hi Point have an evil threaded barrel and pistol grip? Are such things allowed where you are at?
    Places that have some type of pistol grip restriction allow a paddle to be bolted to the back of the grip that blocks you from wrapping you thumb around the grip.
    Silly I know but makes those yahoos happy.

Edit: Copied from the HTA website:

The MBS 95 may make your rifle illegal in some jurisdictions.
    Know your state and local laws and if you live in a restricted state, be prepared to make the necessary adjustments to remain compliant.
    We are working on making compliant stocks for restricted states, but until then, you are responsible for compliance.
    Some states (CA, CT, MD, etc.) have 29" or 30" overall length minimums and bans on certain features, such as pistol grips on semiautomatic rifles with removable magazines.
    This stock has both a pistol grip and lowers the OAL to about 26.25".
    Last edited by Kenstone; 11-19-2022 at 11:16 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    did you put the scope on backwards?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast