Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger security six front sight broken

Boolit Mold

Ruger security six front sight broken

Hi everyone I’m new here but I’m needing your help
    I’ve got a lot of guns but easily one of my favorites is my security six
    Accurate, reliable, and good looking to boot
    Recently I was out hiking and when I removed the old thing from its holster and aimed it. I seamed to be missing something, my front sight.
    Upon further inspection some of it is still in the housing so it broke
    I’m having quite the problems finding a replacement
    Mine was the red ramp variant, but if either could be found it would be of great help.

Sincerely
    FastHands

Boolit Master

Sending it to Ruger for a replacement would probably be your best bet, that is if they won't send you one.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Ruger doesn't have replacement parts for the long discontinued Security-Six revolvers.

Let me look at mine & see if I can determine what you may need.

Ok, I checked the sight AND my spare parts. None here. However,, I'm going to send you a PM with a gentlemans name & number that can most likely have what you need.
    Last edited by contender1; 12-26-2021 at 01:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    Numrich Arms, gunpartscorp.com, has the pin, but is out of stock on sight blades. You might have to make one, or have one made. I'm right fond of mine, too.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master
    Jack First was making replacement blades, so you may wish to order one, but if they are out of stock, the fixed sight GP 100 blade site fits but is slightly lower. Numrich has them for $9.02. (+1.7 arms and legs shipping and handling.)
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Hey FastHands, welcome aboard the board.
    Anyone shooting revolvers is especially welcome.
    But someone not only shooting, but carrying a grand old Security Six in the reign of the Glock gets special kudos here. Glad to have you.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...ger/security-6
    sight blade, out of stock though:
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/221770

and read this on another forum:

""Good news! I have a SS Ruger Security Six 4". I dropped it and broke the front sight. There are none to be found as you know. I ordered a Ruger Single Six front sight from Numrich. I was able to use a belt sander and file to shape it to fit. While it is aluminum as opposed to the original in steel, it looks great polished (top and front are still black) and functions flawlessly!""

EDIT: OK, this might work!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004322442?pid=318134

you will have to transfer/drill the pin hole thru it though.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 12-27-2021 at 09:06 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Buddy
    If you read the comments on Midway it sounds like the one Kenstone mentioned will likely work for the Speed/Service Six. However, I just compared the sights on my 4" and 2.75" Security Sixes and while the front sight on the 4" model appears to similar to that GP100 sight the 2.75" gun has a much taller blade. Just something to keep in mind.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadHead72 View Post
    If you read the comments on Midway it sounds like the one Kenstone mentioned will likely work for the Speed/Service Six. However, I just compared the sights on my 4" and 2.75" Security Sixes and while the front sight on the 4" model appears to similar to that GP100 sight the 2.75" gun has a much taller blade. Just something to keep in mind.
    Thanks for the research
    Actually, taller is a good thing as it can reshaped/filed to the right height.
    I have put a Super Redhawk front insert sight my GP100 and filed it into a partridge/undercut sight!
    I have this fiber optic on the GP100 now, and a ramp on my security 6:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RampFiber (2).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	293727
    A Partridge sight on a S&W:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Partridge.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	293728
    I love the interchangeable front sights on the GP100.
    jmo,
    Last edited by Kenstone; 12-27-2021 at 09:12 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Buddy
    Let me clarify; the one for the GP-100 on Midway appears to be much shorter than the one on my 2.75" snubbie. So it may be too short, depending on your gun's needs.

Boolit Grand Master
    Jack First has a S&W sight that may work with a bit of fitting and perhaps some JB weld. It is a bit pricey at $44.00 Smith & Wesson revolver front sight blade w/ red insert .275" high, .125" wide #1035-3773 You may have to file the tenon a bit to get it to fit, but OEM Ruger Sight blades appear to be about as common as honest politicians, so you may have little option. They have a plain black that is cheaper also: Smith & Wesson revolver front sight blade .300" high, .125" wide #1035-3811 These are $30.00
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Here is an option. Link It is $70, but you get a barrel and a few other parts as well. The sight should be correct.

Boolit Mold
    I know I’ve taken a absence, but thank you all for your advice so far I’m thinking on getting the sight in the link below
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100445330
    I know I’ll have to do a little filing but will the initial dimensions be close enough to work it down

There will be quite a bit of reshaping involved and it may be a little loose, my sight measures slightly more than .125 wide

I can send you a takeoff to try, I'm not sure if the hole will line up with your rib.

Boolit Grand Master

It's just a pinned front sight. Is it not the same as the Blackhawk?

Edit: I'm looking at pictures of a security six sight blade, and comparing to a Blackhawk sight blade. They look identical to me.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    It's just a pinned front sight. Is it not the same as the Blackhawk?

Edit: I'm looking at pictures of a security six sight blade, and comparing to a Blackhawk sight blade. They look identical to me.
    I think you may be correct, it looks the same as the one in my hand. Certainly seems like it is close enough to try.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My gunsmith can make and fit a new sight for you, let me know if you want their contact info.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Fast, just sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonk View Post
    Here is an option. Link It is $70, but you get a barrel and a few other parts as well. The sight should be correct.
    Are they legit? There is a number of nearly identical sites that sell similar but different products: kits, magazines etc. They claim they have rare and obsolete items but they never replied to my inquiries.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

I Wish that Blackhawks had pinned front sights. Every one I've ever owned wasn't pinned; including my two year old one. Are the stainless ones pinned?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast