MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many on here have made a mold?

How many on here have made a mold?

I've been thinking about it for awhile. A friend has mentioned it to me. I might give it a try but, will have to borrow one of his molds to draw a print from. I will alter it to another boolit design. Thanks
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    i have not made a mold. But I have been considering trying. Lee has some cheap blanks.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Ok, I didn't know about Lee blanks. I was figuring on having to start with aluminum stock. But, I might look into Lee. Thanks
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    Yes that is the route I was going to take. Lee blanks run about 25 dollars. A cheap start by all means. I am attempting to learn about what it would take to make the bullet cavity in such mould. Looks like I my not own said tools.

I am only interested in making a mould because I cannot find what I am looking for.

Boolit Mold
    Accurate molds will make whatever you want.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    I've been thinking about it for awhile. A friend has mentioned it to me. I might give it a try but, will have to borrow one of his molds to draw a print from. I will alter it to another boolit design. Thanks
    I'm very slowly pulling a home machine shop together, and making a few molds is on the long list of projects to make. Not because I need to, but because I want to. Cannot swear I'll actually get to it. Going to miss class tonight for my precision manual machining class because I was up all night working on the water heater again. Since about 8am this morning I may have gotten almost 4 hours of sleep, but I doubt it. Going to take a shower and go back to bed for a bit, after I tell the teacher I won't be there tonight.

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

I have cut existing moulds into larger calibers on my lathe.

Semi-Wadcutter are probably the easiest and a true Round Nose the most difficult.

It takes time, lots of indicating, and measuring.

Measure an existing mould of the same material to see what shrinkage to expect with the alloy you plan to use.

If I ever get caught up on existing projects, I may have a go at it with my CNC mill.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fc60 View Post
    Greetings,

I have cut existing moulds into larger calibers on my lathe.

Semi-Wadcutter are probably the easiest and a true Round Nose the most difficult.

It takes time, lots of indicating, and measuring.

Measure an existing mould of the same material to see what shrinkage to expect with the alloy you plan to use.

If I ever get caught up on existing projects, I may have a go at it with my CNC mill.

Cheers,

Dave
    +1...I have taken old Lyman molds and rebored them into something larger in my lathe. For round nose, I made a spade drill and freehand ground the cutting features then used it like a form tool to make the profile. You can use drill rod since it will only get minimal use.

I have made a few both split two block and solid knockout type, both nose and base pour. Never tried a grease groove one, always slicks for paper patching. Usually used a D reamer made from drill rod and hardened.

Boolit Master
    I haven't made a mold, but did make a blank, out of steel. Took the dims off a lyman foster slug mold.

Boolit Master
    I have used pieces of a bronze side-rod bearing from a steam locomotive to make a few conventional moulds. In one of the older Lyman loading manuals is a picture of their adjustable paper patch mould which is quite easy to duplicate. I made one that takes interchangeable mould bodies so I can change calibers. If you have a lathe and milling machine the process isn't terribly difficult just plan out your moves and take your time. I always work from a dimensioned drawing.

Try it, the worst that can happen is you finding out "that didn't turn out the way I wanted or thought it would".
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

I have made a couple in aluminum 6061 from the scrap yard using a bought cherry and my own cherry from 0-1 drill rod.
    I copied Magma Engineering's mold block dimensions because I fit them to go on my Master Caster.
    A double acting vise is a great tool to have to cut molds, both jaws move to close the blocks around the cherry.
    My problem is with sharpening after the shape is made and the flutes are cut to get the flutes all the same size and the cherry the right diameter.
    I have made a reamer sharpening like described in The Third Machinists Bedside Reader and sold by PTG. I lost the Third Machinists Bedside Reader in a hurricane ant the cost to replace it is prohibitive!

Boolit Master
    I've made 3 or 4 molds. A couple from aluminum blocks, and a couple reworking old Lee molds. All the molds I've made are slick bullets for PC'ing and have worked just fine.

Boolit Buddy
    I made a .375 round ball 7 cav mold from two alum flat bars. Works fine.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by herian67 View Post
    Accurate molds will make whatever you want.
    +1 on this.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    All the molds I've made are slick bullets for PC'ing and have worked just fine.
    I was going to do the same.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    Try it, the worst that can happen is you finding out "that didn't turn out the way I wanted or thought it would".
    Believe they call that practice, right? At least that's what I call it when I screw up a project.

Boolit Grand Master

While I havent made bullet mould yet. I made moulds for polyurethane parts. You need to learn to see backwards for making moulds

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

I've made hundreds of bullet moulds.
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master
    I have. That's why I buy mine now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast