Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone 911 calls know where do you stand

Cell Phone 911 calls know where do you stand

Many of us no longer have land lines and rely on cell phones when in an emergency

Do you know some service providers may not pass through a 911 call ? (Most now do but possibly not all)

Before you need it know.. know if it works on your phone and through your service provider and what information and in what order YOU have to calmly provide to the emergency services personnel for 911 to be effective!

Bear

Moderator Emeritus

A phone without a service provider will connect to 911
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I learned that lesson and it saved my life. I went into anaphylactic shock after getting stung by yellow jackets while cutting my sons yard. I could feel myself loosing consciousness so I called 911 and immediately gave them the address and my vehicle description. Fearing that they might drive past without seeing me, I stepped out of my van to wave them down but lost it in the driveway. I woke up with a paramedic sticking me with an epi pen and he told the ambulance driver, "you better hurry, his B/P is only 50/30". Keep that phone charged and be aware of where you are and your surroundings!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

https://www.911.gov/calling-911/freq...ked-questions/
    All wireless phones, even those that are not subscribed to or supported by a specific carrier, can call 911. However, calls to 911 on phones without active service do not deliver the caller’s location to the 911 call center, and the call center cannot call these phones back to find out the caller’s location or the nature of the emergency. If disconnected, the 911 center has no way to call back the caller.

These uninitialized phones are often used to place malicious or fake calls to 911 call centers. These calls are a burden on the 911 system because 911 call centers are required to find out whether or not an emergency truly exists.

Oftentimes, parents provide these uninitialized wireless phones as toys to young children, unaware that if the child dials 911, a live call will be connected with the local 911 call center. It is recommended that parents remove the phone’s battery before giving these phones to children.

More details here
    https://www.survivalsullivan.com/mak...%99s%20network.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Oftentimes, parents provide these uninitialized wireless phones as toys to young children, unaware that if the child dials 911, a live call will be connected with the local 911 call center. It is recommended that parents remove the phone’s battery before giving these phones to children.

Yeah, but then they are no fun!

On an additional note, use the old phones for your Strike Man an MantisX apps.
    Your kids can play with the dog.

I claim no innate knowledge folks but I just arranged for a 911 test of my phone and service provider as we just cut off our land line

Do not do this unless you make arrangements with your emergency services personnel PRIOR to testing which I did obviously did so ..

From my test I can tell you these results : First it worked .. I live in a rural portion of a first class county but unincorporated ..my first words were "this is a test per Lt Dillion" ..then I asked what he could tell me about me ..nothing was his answer ..except he was able to tell which county the tower was located in that my cell phone had made contact with ..no address, no name, no nothing ..

So be aware ..exact location, nature of emergency, and name are paramount to quick response ..it all goes back to situational awareness ..if you cannot describe with in something like a city block if not at home ..or instructions to your deer stand ..or whatever you are sunk ..pretty simple really

Bear

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    A phone without a service provider will connect to 911
    That’s what I always thought.

I think that the real issue with cell phones and 911 is that very few cell phones give any location information that is worthwhile to the operator. You have to stay on the line to insure they get to you

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

As a 40+ year Firefighter/EMT in a rural county. We have had way too many delays due to incomplete or accurate information. Many are younger folks who haven't provided sufficient info. We all expect to be conscious and lucid when we need help, unfortunately many times we are not! The wasp sting or a severe asthma attack are but 2 of many situations. Please provide you and your spouse's heath conditions, and any necessary location data in your profile. It truly can save your life! Tom

Very true Tom. I'm sure that's what saved my life. I was suspect of the small town having the ability to Ping my exact location so I gave them the exact address FRST, because I knew I was going out quickly. That experience caused a change in my life.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    This is where the turning off of the location feature becomes a conundrum, a Sccodinger's cat if you will. Most smart phones will turn location on for 911 or regional ems alternative numbers . If the location feature is turned on then the phone is perpetually pinging WiFi and towers , building a precise location.......even in dead zones .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Something I wish more people would consider when shutting off their landline service is that in the event of a widespread power outage, your cell phone may quickly become an expensive paperweight. Your typical cell site has no generator and limited battery backup power, so if it loses AC power, the remaining uptime is measured in minutes.

When a cell site goes down, all the phones registered to it at that time will then try to latch onto the next nearest one, and the situation can frequently overload a local cell system and make it unusable at the worst possible time.

When cell phones work, they're convenient and work great. Unfortunately there are many things that will make them virtually unusable, and lots of those things would have little effect on the wireline telephone network. The end result is your cell phone quickly becomes unusable while your landline would still continue to work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post
    Something I wish more people would consider when shutting off their landline service is that in the event of a widespread power outage, your cell phone may quickly become an expensive paperweight. Your typical cell site has no generator and limited battery backup power, so if it loses AC power, the remaining uptime is measured in minutes.

When a cell site goes down, all the phones registered to it at that time will then try to latch onto the next nearest one, and the situation can frequently overload a local cell system and make it unusable at the worst possible time.

When cell phones work, they're convenient and work great. Unfortunately there are many things that will make them virtually unusable, and lots of those things would have little effect on the wireline telephone network. The end result is your cell phone quickly becomes unusable while your landline would still continue to work just fine.
    You are correct ..my other phone uses the call letters KD0HFK

Bear

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post

When my landline hit $85 a month it got shut off. Phone can be charged by vehicles, spare car jumper, solar and portable battery assisted chargers.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

If at all possible, always call from a landline. When I worked as a dispatcher a landline would automatically pull up the address. When a cell phone call arrived, I would have to triangulate the signal and it would only give an approximate location, usually within 200 yards.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

We dropped out landline years ago. They wanted near 100$ a month for a dedicated phone line that still may or may not work in a power off situation.

Only had to call 911 once, that was a non emergancy call and my daughter specified ambulance + firefighters. Both doors in my house have sharp 90 degree bends right after the door. Can't get a gurney through either one. So when we had to send my wife in Ambulance we seated her on her rolling walker. Fireman at her feet, me at her head and rolled her all the way to the front steps. At which point firemen took over getting her down the steps and on the Guerny. God BLESS them they were amazing.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Moderator Emeritus

One of the challenges, as I (having spent 16 years as an active EMT) -- 'specially in rural areas -- is the error in location. "Every town has a 'Main Street'". In addition to ascertaining 9-1-1 is operational on whatever device you (I hope not ) might employ to use it, my most humble suggestion is to PROVIDE Village/Town/County and STATE location to whomever picks up/answers your plea!!!
    "Hello -- I am at 123 Main Street in Anytown, Iowa and have fallen and cannot get up" -- or similar. Bion, your name is important to you -- but that's something the ambulance folks can get after they arrive. Yes -- dispatcher will ask for it. But, again, the Village/Town/STATE are of (again, imho) greatest important.
    The 9-1-1 operator you HOPE to be talking with might be 11 miles distance; BUT, with the technology of completing calls -- the one who answers your call may in fact be several hundred miles away,
    Just a suggestion....
    geo

Interesting information. My landline, which I have no intention of giving up, costs $53.17 a month with a guarantee when installed that it would never go up; and it hasn't gone up for about 5 years. The provider is Century Link. My flip cell phone is relegated to my desk drawer and only sees the light of day when I travel as a means to call AAA road service if needed. I'm pretty old school about communications, and if you phone me I'll see your name on caller I.D. and if I know you I'll answer. If not, I just push on and off, as I hate telemarketers. If you're not a telemarketer you'll immediately call back and I'll answer. If I'm not in the house I've got an answering machine. Works for me.

DG

Moderator Emeritus

A lot of folks, me included, have landlines which are really VOIP lines. Per the FCC:

Portable interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services can be used from virtually any internet connection anywhere, which raises challenges for the emergency services community in determining the location from which a 911 call has originated.

You should be aware that:

VoIP 911 calls may not connect to the 911 call center serving your current location or may improperly ring to the administrative line of the 911 call center, which may not be staffed after hours or by trained 911 operators.
    VoIP 911 calls may correctly connect to the 911 call center but not automatically transmit the caller's phone number and/or location information.
    VoIP customers may need to provide location or other information to their VoIP providers, and update this information each time they change locations for their VoIP 911 service to function properly.
    VoIP service may not work during a power outage or when the internet connection fails or becomes overloaded.
    Tips for subscribers to fully interconnected VoIP service
    If you have or are thinking of subscribing to an interconnected VoIP service, you should:

Provide your accurate physical address to your interconnected VoIP service provider to ensure that emergency services can quickly be dispatched to your location.
    Be familiar with your VoIP service provider's procedures for updating your address, and promptly update address information in the event of a change.
    Have a clear understanding of any limitations of your 911 service.
    Inform children, babysitters and visitors about your VoIP service and its 911 limitations, if any.
    If your power is out or your internet connection is down, be aware that your VoIP service may not work. Consider installing a backup power supply, maintaining a traditional phone line or having a wireless phone as a backup.
    If you have questions about whether the phone service you are receiving is an interconnected VoIP service, contact your service provider for further information.
    911 call centers currently lack the technical capability to receive photos and video. In addition, the ability to send text messages to 911 is only available in certain areas.

Know what you have and don't assume - always brings up Felix Unger in court image.
    Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast