Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: High Performance buckshot

High Performance buckshot

How hard does it really need to be for high performance loads?

Hornady is 6% Antimony, Remington is 3%

I have the Remington, and you can put a little crease in it with a thumb nail.

Any experience?

Thanks
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Depends on desired application.
    But my application would be to STOP 2 legged predators and thin out the 4 legged types that occasionaly think my walking about the desert is for their playful enjoyment.
    So straight wheelweight works nicely.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I have used both ( 4 Buck ) on Yotes

The Hornady stuff patterns better
    But dose not seen to stop the Yotes as well as the Rem 4 buck
    As IMO it is hard enough to not flatten when it hits the Yote and passes right through

The Rem 4 buck dosn't pattern as well , as IMO it gets a lot more flat spots
    From launch set back and passing through the choke
    But when it hits the Yote , it flattens and transferrs more enegery and most of the time stays in the Yote at longer range

IMO for moderate ranges and especaility if you use OO
    It dosn't realy matter

As the last time I bought buckshot
    2 - 5 lb boxs of Hornady #4 Buckshot were about the same price as a 25 lb bag of Remington #4 buckshot
    I went with the Remington

But I was looking at it for hunting , not anti personel loads

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Hunting here as well, but I would love to have a nice tight pattern of 00 at 50 yards too.

I guess I will grab a box of Hornady or maybe some BPI Super Shot (actually cheaper per pound than Hornady).

The fact that I have like 100 lbs of the Remington makes buying more a little painful though!

Boolit Buddy
    Hornady buckshot has enough Arsenic to heat treat in my experience. Th REmington stuff is pretty soft, and they often plate it. If you really need to reach out, try the Tungsten based shot. iT is not cheap, but does work, and it near 1.8X the density of lead in some forms.
    Greg

Boolit Master

If you are reloading and want good long range pattern you need to use the old fiber wads the shot cup dont do good with big shot. I load OO at 12 per 3in shell and at 50 to 60 yds they will mostly stay in a 12 in circle. Have shot 2 deer and dropped both with one load each
    I cast mine useing boolit mix {little softer than WW}

Quote Originally Posted by Greg5278 View Post
    Hornady buckshot has enough Arsenic to heat treat in my experience. Th REmington stuff is pretty soft, and they often plate it. If you really need to reach out, try the Tungsten based shot. iT is not cheap, but does work, and it near 1.8X the density of lead in some forms.
    Greg
    Good to know - Remington doesn't heat treat - I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by shotman View Post
    If you are reloading and want good long range pattern you need to use the old fiber wads the shot cup dont do good with big shot. I load OO at 12 per 3in shell and at 50 to 60 yds they will mostly stay in a 12 in circle. Have shot 2 deer and dropped both with one load each
    I cast mine useing boolit mix {little softer than WW}
    Are you doing 3 per layer? I only do 2.

We have had quite a few posts on buckshot indeed! If you plan to load specialized buchshot loads, I might suggest using BPI LBC 50mm wads.....split with two cuts.
    This wad works extremlly well with two stacks of #0 and #1 buckshot and these sizes will pattern excellent in tight chokes!
    As for hardness....the BPI buckshot. although a little expensive, is the best of all....loaded as they are or heat treated.
    The very best bufffer we have found is the teflon buffer from Precision Reloading.
    Posted loads of buckshot run on the low side of pressure due to old guns. Weigh your load of buckshot and compare with a recipe of regular shot.
    Most of the time the best loads run about the speed of sound or less and a slow burn powder.
    Regards...James
    Dixie Slugs (dixieslugs.com)-Home of the Dixie Terminator

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Slugs View Post
    We have had quite a few posts on buckshot indeed! If you plan to load specialized buchshot loads, I might suggest using BPI LBC 50mm wads.....split with two cuts.
    This wad works extremlly well with two stacks of #0 and #1 buckshot and these sizes will pattern excellent in tight chokes!
    As for hardness....the BPI buckshot. although a little expensive, is the best of all....loaded as they are or heat treated.
    The very best bufffer we have found is the teflon buffer from Precision Reloading.
    Posted loads of buckshot run on the low side of pressure due to old guns. Weigh your load of buckshot and compare with a recipe of regular shot.
    Most of the time the best loads run about the speed of sound or less and a slow burn powder.
    Regards...James
    Cuts oppose each other? How deep the cut? And finally do you use these wads in Win/Rem 2 3/4" hulls?
    Thanks...James also

From other info James has provided - split it down the middle, 3/4 down the wad.

Use the LBC 43mm wad for 2-3/4", the 50mm is for 3"

The LBC (all mm) is used only in straight walled hulls...as far as I know. We test the 50mm in 3" and the 43mm in 2 3/4"....and use nothing but the buckshot from BPI.
    There is another strange procedure we ran into and that is placing a 1/8" pure cork wad on top of the buffered buckshot. It seems that that delays the wad from opening a little, but is so light it does not distrup the load.....and seems to give a little tighter pattern???????????????
    Here again....we use our buckshot loads for hunting only and use nothing but new Chedite primed hulls! It also helps to stack in layers of two (I have suggeted that for some time) instead of three stack, shake the hull in Moter Mica (or whatever they call it now), and use Precision's teflon buffer.
    As much as I like casting, we use only BPI's hard buckshot. But....I do not mind cost in hunting loads, if they perform. I have seen no need to heat treat BPI's buckshot, although one could.
    I just got off of the phone with my friend Gregg and Dixie will be testing some .660" sliug./bullets in variuos wads. These look good for our friends here on Cast Boolits for both smoothbore and rifled barrels.indeed!
    Regards, James
    Last edited by Dixie Slugs; 09-23-2010 at 04:38 PM.

I'll try to find the exact load my father set up, but this I know.
    2,3/4 tappered hull (AA), 1,1/8 quad buck, buffered, stiff 4 finger wad (steel shot wad I believe), tag board over card. All I could say was holy $hit, 50yd pattern; 8in, aprox 15 pellets.

I was using this load when I was a asst. instructor for a college LE program. The other instructors and myself wished we could carry that load, factory offerings had pretty dismal performance.

Boolit Master
    Thanks James.

I might add that we may put the load in the line as a Dixie Slugs, 12 gauge 2 3/4"1 Buck Special.
    The powder charge is 32 grs (2.8 cc) of Alliant Blue Dot - LBC43mm wad - 16 #1 BPI hard buckshot (stacked two on two) - vel 1220'/" - 10,700 psi.- Cheddite straight walled hull.
    There seems to still be quite a few fine 2 3/4"guns out there! This load's pattern was tested by Joey Saunders out of a Remington 1100 (.690" full choke).
    This load put 8 #1's inside of a 10" circle at a measured 40 yards.
    As I have said before...it does not matter how many buckshot (or shot) is in the load! What does matter is how many buckshot (or shot) it puts into a 10" kill circle at 40 yards.
    This is another load recipe I wil post since it has been pressure tested. We have enough loads posted that have not been pressure tested. The recipe must be followed exact
    Regards, James

Boolit Master

This should be a sticky!

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Slugs View Post
    I might add that we may put the load in the line as a Dixie Slugs, 12 gauge 2 3/4"1 Buck Special.
    The powder charge is 32 grs (2.8 cc) of Alliant Blue Dot - LBC43mm wad - 16 #1 BPI hard buckshot (stacked two on two) - vel 1220'/" - 10,700 psi.- Cheddite straight walled hull.
    There seems to still be quite a few fine 2 3/4"guns out there! This load's pattern was tested by Joey Saunders out of a Remington 1100 (.690" full choke).
    This load put 8 #1's inside of a 10" circle at a measured 40 yards.
    As I have said before...it does not matter how many buckshot (or shot) is in the load! What does matter is how many buckshot (or shot) it puts into a 10" kill circle at 40 yards.
    This is another load recipe I wil post since it has been pressure tested. We have enough loads posted that have not been pressure tested. The recipe must be followed exact
    Regards, James
    Note: This is a 2.75" roll crimp pressure tested #1B (.30") load.
    Last edited by RMc; 07-11-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Boolit Mold
    When I put 16 #1 buck in a LBC 43mm Shot cup I notice that The top buck is approx 1/8" below the top of the Cup.
    Am I missing something Here? do I need to add a 1/8" 12ga. over shot Cork Wad?

Raybo

I had our people re-check the 12 ga 2 3/4" #1 Buck Special. The LBC 43mm wads we have will take 16 #1's atacked 2 on 2 rather than 3 on 3. I mentioned this before. The top edge of the buckdhot was at the top rim of the wad. The buckshot should be buffered to cover the top of the buckshot (gives a flat surface0 and should be rooled crimp.
    As I remember, the 3" load had a 1/8"/14" pure cork on top of the buckstshot. It is most important that the buckshot be in stacks of 2 buckshot!........James

Boolit Mold
    James:

Thanks for your reply, I think Maybe something Has Changed with the Wads, I am using NEW BPI LBC 43mm Wads With #1 Buck Stacked 2 on 2, not 3 on 3 and Can still use a 1/8 cork wad to get a good crimp. Perhaps something has Changed with the wads?

I could Get 18 Buck in and have it come to the top of the wad. I also Checked the Buck they are in Fact .298-.300 Dia. And the Wad is a 43mm wad. So to keep my shot count at 16 I will Add a 1/8" cork wad to get a good crimp if you think it is safe to do so.

Unless you think it is safe to go to 18. However, I don't think 18 would be safe with 32gr. of Bluedot. So I will put a Cork wad on top of the Shot.

Hans
    Last edited by Raybo; 04-29-2011 at 11:40 PM.

I do not know what to say as our people checked all in house wads. be sure the buffer covers the balls and add cork if needed. Be sure that the crimp is a rolled crimp.....james