Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kerosene lantern find

Boolit Master

Kerosene lantern find

A bit ago I posted about getting a Coleman dual mantle lantern working. Though me and the dog were happy with my success the wife unit was not too pleased due to the amount of light it puts out potentially blinding the neighbors in the near dark unlit campground. Seeking a more subdued mood lighting solution I came across a Dietz Junior kerosene lantern, though never used it was not stored well and took a bit of cleaning up and was soon operational. The softer glow received approval from the lighting selection committee and put me on the hunt for at least one more when I came across these. They are a Dietz #2, a red lensed Monarch, a Hope from Korea and a BAT no175 Super Baby picked up for the cost of less than a half a tank of fuel in my RAM truck.

The Monarch and the Hope should clean up well, the BAT has a bad paint job and I may strip and refinish it, I see hints of original red paint here and there. Oddly it appears to never have been used. The #2 is my real issue, obviously a good coating of surface rust, but no real damage. It’s obviously been well used. Not too sure if I want to try and brush it or chemically clean it or just treat it to arrest the rust as is.

Lastly other than amzone is there a good source for replacement wicks?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48017703-ED7D-452B-BCB3-8A369E0DDE75.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	282026

Boolit Master

https://lanternnet.com/

Tons of good info here. History. Parts. New lanterns both imported and US made. Also antique lanterns.

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.milesstair.com/

This is where I've found some hard to find wicks, have also found some on Amazon.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Grand Master
    Old hardware stores are where I have always purchased wicks for my kerosene lamps.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Miles Stair's Wick Shop. Should have what you need. Google will take you to his site.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by webfoot10 View Post
    Miles Stair's Wick Shop. Should have what you need. Google will take you to his site.
    That's the site I posted (#3)
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Grand Master

Kerosene lanterns will meet the "mood" lighting requirement nicely but I would have given anything to have had a Coleman Twin Mantle Lantern a few months ago .

Ice storms knocked out power and heat ... those Twin Mantle Lanterns put out plenty of both light and heat and we needed both .

Usually our power is out in Summer , Hurricane season , Usually It's sooooo Hot in the house that I bought two Coleman Lanterns with flourescent tubes powered by batteries , no heat and a little light but Winter Ice storm we were freezing inside the house it was 38 degrees .

Hang onto the Coleman Lanterns , get new mantles and fresh fuel ... one ice storm and you will fall in love with them . I got new mantles and fresh fuel for ours .

I'm better at Hurricanes than Ice storms for sure !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Cool.
    Deitz used to say in their advertising they still use the same stamping molds now that they did back in the Gold rush days
    when they were first made.

Wicks & globes are available at the bigger hardware stores since they haven't changed.
    If I'm outside during bug season, I run mine with that citronella oil to run 'em off.

What I've done for the super bright Colemans, is fold up a piece of foil and put it part way around inside the glass lens.

Another deal is to make a tent out of foil to go over the top cover and direct the light down.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I really like kerosene lanterns and colemans too. Wal mart has 1/2" wicks but Lehmans.com has better quality stuff as well as new lamps and lanterns. I got a Dietz 80 blizzard; takes a 3/4" wick and holds like a gallon of kero! I also picked up a coleman 288 which is a dimmable two mantel gas.

Boolit Master

Little bit of thread drift, but funny stuff. When in my 20's, I was hunting with a friend in his 60s, a full blooded Cherokee. I was trying
    to get a Coleman lantern to light. I never realized it was a Kerosene one. I'm putting regular Coleman fuel ,and trying to get it going. Big flames, won't work. Claude has an axe back by his bunk, ready to chop a hole in the in the back to escape. Stupid me, all I can say.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Www.lehmans.com for all kinds of cool stuff!

Our local, ''Do It Best'' hardware stocks all sizes of wicks.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've always wanted one of those.
    Old made in the USA one.

Boolit Master
    I have several around here, There are still a couple of hooks left where I would hang them in different rooms. Years age the power would go out if it snowed. I cooked on gas at the time and heated with wood so a couple lanterns and a 55 gallon barrel of water made a lot of difference. Doesn't take a lot to help you get through.

Boolit Master
    I have my dads Coleman twin mantle lantern. I LOVE that thing. There is something about the light and sound that they make when they are running.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Kerosene lanterns will meet the "mood" lighting requirement nicely but I would have given anything to have had a Coleman Twin Mantle Lantern a few months ago .

Ice storms knocked out power and heat ... those Twin Mantle Lanterns put out plenty of both light and heat and we needed both .

Usually our power is out in Summer , Hurricane season , Usually It's sooooo Hot in the house that I bought two Coleman Lanterns with flourescent tubes powered by batteries , no heat and a little light but Winter Ice storm we were freezing inside the house it was 38 degrees .

Hang onto the Coleman Lanterns
    , get new mantles and fresh fuel ... one ice storm and you will fall in love with them . I got new mantles and fresh fuel for ours .

I'm better at Hurricanes than Ice storms for sure !
    Gary
    I just sold 3 vintage coleman gasoline lanterns on FB marketplace. I must have not asked enough for them, they sold in 13 minutes and two fellows came from 45 miles away to pick them up...they were very happy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

JonB ,
    I would have kept one ... Winter Ice Storm is where they ... shine !
    Sorry about bad pun ,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I found an Aladdin lamp at the flea market a couple years back. Got it working. Nice to use in the winter. Lots of light and warmth.

During my missionary days in Ecuador I had a pair of Petromax lanterns. These were pressurized fuel with ash mantels much like the Coleman. These were made in Singapore and marked Rolex. They ran on Kerosene rather than the white gas/Coleman fuel. They were a bit more cranky that the Coleman, but less likely to turn into a ball of fire, because of the fuel.

I had some British friends who were camping on an Ecuadorian beach when their Coleman stove exploded catching the woman's clothes on fire. She ran into the surf to extinguish the flames, but the water was very polluted and she died of the infection caused by the bacteria in the water. Since that happened, I won't get within ten yards of any Coleman product that runs on white gas/Coleman fuel.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

We have three Aladdin mantle lamps, two Coleman's, and a Dietz.

The Dietz is very handy and fuel efficient. When power goes out we light it first then go about lighting the others.

Our Coleman is a two mantle lamp and while it gives a lot of light, it also uses a lot of fuel, even when turned down. My FIL had a very old Coleman single mantle that we borrowed for camping a few times. It lasted 10+ hours on a full tank and provided plenty of light without being obnoxious. Unfortunately he sold it without asking us. I finally found a single mantle Coleman lamp at a flea market last year and am in the process of restoring it.

The Aladdins are great to have around the house and get used occasionally to make sure they are still working.

I did not know they made Coleman style pressurized stoves and lamps that use kerosene, something new to research!
    Makes more sense than something that uses fuel sold by the manufacturer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast