WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Trimming brass is the worst

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kayala View Post
    No, that's a separate, more tedious step. Lyman prep center for that task: debur, chamfer, primer cleanup and crimp removal (if any).
    That's pretty awesome, one day I might get a Dillon
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Get Giraud Case Trimmer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    While I do not own one of the new generation “fast trimmers” that merely index off the shoulder I am never the less skeptical of the consistency they deliver.

A regular trimmer indexes from the head of the case to the mouth, just like a firearm does. These later day trimmers measure from the shoulder to the case neck. That gives me pause.

These quick trimmers ignore differences in case body length. Now if you are getting your brass length the same with old school techniques, then firing all that brass in the same firearm and then referencing the neck with a quick trim tool of some sort, I can see a viable option.

However, if you are getting range fired brass or any other variable solution and only quick trimming, I can not see how one can get consistent CARTRIDGE length when you are really only making your case neck length the same.

I know I will draw the ire of many who worship these newer methods of case trimming but I really do not give a hoot about that by bringing this up.

And if a member dares to investigate this, it only takes a brief stint with your measuring stick to check it out.

Three44s
    Though neck length could vary, the cartridge length should be the same. The cartridge length is determined by the shell holder position at the top of the press stroke and the position of the seating die stem. The case length will only affect the position of the end of the neck on the bullet, not the overall length.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Waiting on the Frankford Arsenal Platinum series case trimmer and prep center. Should make life easier.
    I've used one for several years and like it a lot.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Dillon trimmer, 1000/hr without breaking a sweat. Do it when no one is home though, the trimmer and vacuum running for the spoils is loud enough I wear the same ear protection/head phones I use when I am running heavy equipment.

I use a Giraud. Trims/bevels/chamfers all at once. Expensive, but after doing all my rifle brass I haven't touched it in a long time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Dillon trimmer, 1000/hr without breaking a sweat. Do it when no one is home though, the trimmer and vacuum running for the spoils is loud enough I wear the same ear protection/head phones I use when I am running heavy equipment.
    yup i love my dillion trimmer for 556 and 308.

Banned

Trimming rifle brass is a piece of cake for me and my Wilson trimmer.

Boolit Master
    I like the Wilson as well, primarily as how square the case mouths and case length consistency ends up. It’s not a fast system and even slower for cases that are excessively long.

With range 5.56 mil brass, my method is to use a Lyman Universal (fitted with their carbide cutter) and rough trim to a thousandth long or so and debur the mouths. Then I full length size and finish with the Wilson.

In between all of this I am removing primer pocket crimps (swaging and then cutting a radius).

At the end I debur the inside flash hole. I am taking advantage of the time where the case is at its maximum consistency for length.

The case may go to a bolt gun, a Contender or a non-PC gun but its one and done for a good while.

The brass flinging non-PC gun fired brass is more likely to grow faster but also less likely to be found and recycled as many times as those from bolt or break open guns.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    yup i love my dillion trimmer for 556 and 308.
    From what I understand the Dillon is press mounted. If that is correct it would be fairly consistent.

The trimmers that I do not favor are the ones that you hold the brass by hand and poke the case mouth in the front. They index off the case shoulder and there in lay the variation, particularity with first time brass to one’s treatment. The shoulder to head dimension is all over the place if it is range brass or fired from different rifles from one’s self.

Secondly, a trimmer such as the Lyman Universal does not square mouths real well. Can you imagine the wobble introduced by just holding the head of the case by hand ..... into what reminds me of a pencil sharpener?

I am far from in love with tedious case prep but my experience is that in loading where neck sizing is used, cases grow slowly and the need to re-trim far off if you have set the length to the “trim length” at the start.

Auto loaders are another matter but that’s the price you pay with those.

Three44s

Boolit Master
    While I do not own one of the new generation “fast trimmers” that merely index off the shoulder I am never the less skeptical of the consistency they deliver.

A regular trimmer indexes from the head of the case to the mouth, just like a firearm does. These later day trimmers measure from the shoulder to the case neck. That gives me pause.

These quick trimmers ignore differences in case body length. Now if you are getting your brass length the same with old school techniques, then firing all that brass in the same firearm and then referencing the neck with a quick trim tool of some sort, I can see a viable option.

However, if you are getting range fired brass or any other variable solution and only quick trimming, I can not see how one can get consistent CARTRIDGE length when you are really only making your case neck length the same.

I know I will draw the ire of many who worship these newer methods of case trimming but I really do not give a hoot about that by bringing this up.

And if a member dares to investigate this, it only takes a brief stint with your measuring stick to check it out.

Three44s
    If you size your case before trimming as you should it is not an issue. There should be very little variability from the shoulder to the base of the cartridge after sizing. If there were, you would not have consistent head space. I trimmed about 1,500 5.56 cases recently with the Little Crow and it gave me fine results in a fraction of the time a conventional trimmer would.

Now if you are turning case necks and weighing each case for benchrest shooting you may want to do it indexing off the case base.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 06-23-2021 at 06:40 AM.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    I use the Wilson for trimming every case that needs trimming, I like accuracy better than speed.

Boolit Master

WFT2 is all you need; that and I use my bench drill press.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by kayala View Post
    No, that's a separate, more tedious step. Lyman prep center for that task: debur, chamfer, primer cleanup and crimp removal (if any).
    You’re right. Deburring and chamfering is an equally unpleasant part of the job too. If there is one that does it all at the same time, I will definitely will consider one one if I start a lot reloading brass cartridges again.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    You’re right. Deburring and chamfering is an equally unpleasant part of the job too. If there is one that does it all at the same time, I will definitely will consider one one if I start a lot reloading brass cartridges again.
    Oh yes, I tumbled, annealed, sized, trimmed, chamfered and cleaned the primer pockets all by hand. If it were not for this ammo shortage I would not have bothered with reloading .223 or 9mm for that matter.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    yup i set my press up to size and deprime in the first station prime in the second and trim in the third. Fill the case feeder up and its a fast as you can run your press. Then they go in the tumbler or a 1/2 hour to knock of the case lube then back through the press set up to charge and seat a bullt. I do it after every firing in my ars in 556 or 762. Theres only one disadvantage to doing it this way and thats that they dont give that dillon trimmer away. I also have an rcbs power trimmer for the rest of them. It works well to but is like wading in mud compared to the dillon.

From what I understand the Dillon is press mounted. If that is correct it would be fairly consistent.

The trimmers that I do not favor are the ones that you hold the brass by hand and poke the case mouth in the front. They index off the case shoulder and there in lay the variation, particularity with first time brass to one’s treatment. The shoulder to head dimension is all over the place if it is range brass or fired from different rifles from one’s self.

Secondly, a trimmer such as the Lyman Universal does not square mouths real well. Can you imagine the wobble introduced by just holding the head of the case by hand ..... into what reminds me of a pencil sharpener?

I am far from in love with tedious case prep but my experience is that in loading where neck sizing is used, cases grow slowly and the need to re-trim far off if you have set the length to the “trim length” at the start.

Auto loaders are another matter but that’s the price you pay with those.

Three44s
    You should be resizing all the brass first before you trim it, or they won't come out the same anyway.

Boolit Master
    i use the lee trimmer for my brass 223/308/45-70.surprised me how 45-70 brass needs trimming ever time i prep them .never had to trim 357/44mag cases at all.

Boolit Master

Any suggestions on a trimmer for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Any suggestions on a trimmer for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better measure it first, you hold the caliper and I will read it for you!

Best regards

Three44s

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast