Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A square roll crimp.

Boolit Master

A square roll crimp.

I see on an antique reloading site, an antique hand operated square roll crimper. what is it & just how does it make a square roll crimp on a hull? I am 78++ yrs old and never seen a square roll crimp.

Me neither! Maybe we'll learn something here.

DG

Yea, I think they called it dimpling just my 2 cents worth.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    A normal roll crimp has a (multiple) roll pin at the top of the crimper.
    This will aid the (paper hulls) to form a decent roll crimp that can be steaightened and reused.
    Money was tight back then.

This might be a last ditch tool when paper hulls got to loose at the top, and it simply was square at the top and made a heafty fold for the final crimp?

Boolit Master
    super6, OK, what is dimpling?

Boolit Master
    some of the old hand roll crimpers say that they will do both roll & square crimping. advertised in the old BANNERMANS & OLD SEARS CATALOGUES. I would like to see a photo of the finished product. the shell? the ones on antique reloading sites look just like a standard roll crimper does not show the inside of the roll head, witch is round. I guess that we are supposed to know what the difference is?.

Boolit Mold
    BGI made a hand RTO tool as per your post. The RTO head was reversible - one side for flat and one for round edge RTO. The pins contained in the head have a flat edge to contact the hull mouth - for flat edge finish ; those for a round edge have a concave contour to make the round edge. I cannot answer your query regarding the benefit of flat versus round although the former may have been used to give a tighter turnover in reloading used hulls.

Boolit Master
    harkom, thanks so very much for the come back to my question on the two crimps. so I guess that the flat RTO head is the one for the square crimp? I would very much like to see the end result of the flat / square crimp. maybe there is some one who will post some? it seems that back in the day that BGI, made the majority of black powder reloading tools, in BRIDGEPORT, CONN. toot.

Boolit Grand Master

For me the square crimp works better with a short turn over and the round when I have more room in the case and can lever more to roll over. Both work ok and don't seem to shoot any different. I shoot a lot of 2 1/2 inch shells and a lot of Black powder reloads.
    Most of my crimping is done with old tools that came from my grandfather and have way over 100 years of use. Brass cases are loaded with an old Bridgport set from about 1890.

Boolit Master
    yes BGI, black powder reloading tools for shotgun HULLS BOTH PAPER & BRASS RULLED BACK IN THE DAY! cheep then not now!!

Boolit Master
    so the square crimp is basically a flat crimp, with no indentation on the end of the hull, and a shallow crimp that does no have a roll to it. and a roll crimp is sunken in at the end? I would rely like to see a photo of them.

Boolit Master
    I’ve got roll crimper’s for the 8 , 10 , 12 and 16 gauges . All Mount in a drill/drill press . Anyway I started with the 8 gauge and nice new Remington black industrial hulls . And in my exuberance I made the crimp somewhat squared . It wasn’t my intention by any means and once I started putting a tiny dot of white lubricant on the very edge of the hull and noticed being ham handed the square went away and a nice rounded top started .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    6pt-sika, so you are saying that very little pressure being applied will cause a square crimp? I would still like to see a square crimp. a picture is worth a thousand words. and a lot easier to understand.

Boolit Master
    No when I squared the top I was doing several things in correctly including to much pressure . They worked fine just didn’t look the way I prefer .

Boolit Master
    so there is no problem with them feeding?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    so there is no problem with them feeding?
    In a SxS there isn’t .

Boolit Master
    OK! I understand, in a DBL or SINGLE good to go.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    OK! I understand, in a DBL or SINGLE good to go.
    Only ones I’ve ever accidentally squared the tops were all 8 gauge . I know of no 8 gauge guns other than doubles or singles .

Is this what you are talking about? All these were done with a BPI Roll Crimping Tool, which leaves a flat top edge as opposed to a nice rolled edge on both the outside of the Crimp and top edge as well.

In the pic of the Orange and Clear Rio Hulls I took one of both the Brenneke, and Lightfield slugs apart to see what was inside. When I put them back together with new Rio Hulls I used the BPI tool to Roll Crimp them both. Lightfield and Brenneke used a Roll Crimper that leaves a radiused edge on the finished hulls. You can see the difference side by side here. It is most obvious on the Orange Lightfield rounds. Click on the pic to blow it up!

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464911.JPG   100464934.JPG   100464907.JPG   100464933.JPG   100464757.JPG  

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-18-2022 at 04:47 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Mold
    I think that the flat edge RTO would have been applied to reloading used paper case hulls to give a stronger closure. The paper at the case mouth tends to delaminate as well as getting weakened as a result of firing, hence the difficulty in reforming a tight RTO closure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast