MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tired of my Single Stage...........what next?

Tired of my Single Stage...........what next?

Should I get a Lee turret press or what? Been using my Lee single stage for the past 10 years. Getting tired of changing out dies and setting them up. I don't want to spend too much but what is a good choice next?

Depends on what your wanting to load,...
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    Depends on what your wanting to load,...
    9mm, .223, 30-30, 45 Colt, 45ACP, 38 Special, 357 Mag, 44-40, 44 Special, 44 Mag, etc, etc, etc, etc...

A Dillon would be my first pick...$$$$
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    A Dillon would be my first pick...$$$$
    Ok I'm looking for helpful advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I don't want to spend too much but what is a good choice next?

RCBS Turret press, try something green. I don’t think I’ll ever need another press,less flex when you might need it than the Lee. Progressive press Dillon no question.

You get what you pay for, Good luck!
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Buddy
    They all pretty much will work, within their individual limitations. I started with an RCBS single stage then added a Dillon 450, then a RCBS 5-stage, then a Dillon upgrade to 550 then bit the bullet and got a couple of Dillon 1050's (for commercial loading). Dropped back to an RCBS Rockchucker which I find I use more now - just easier to change out dies for the smaller runs of the oddball calibers that I load now. 1050's are set up for .223 and .308 at the moment but can do a change out for .30-06, 8mm Mauser, 9mm and .45 pretty quickly.

Honestly now I'm looking at the Lee Pro 1000 or Pro 4000. For less than $300 I'm into progressive loading...Hmmm

Boolit Buddy
    The only one that I've had a bad experience with was the Dillon 450. I was using it to form and load blank ammo to include a star crimp. Being an aluminum casting I broke part of it. Dillon replaced the broken frame but I then upgraded to an iron frame press. Haven't had any issues with any since then. I discontinued using an aluminum frame for making blanks but they work okay for regular cartridge reloading.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I personally like Dilion, I have 2 of them……….a lot of truth to the old saying, buy once cry once. Or in my case twice!!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master

Get a new Lee single stage with quick change dies. Or if you can convert your press to the LNL bushing setup. Set the die once and forget it.

The Dillion is going to cost a great deal of money to do what you want. You would need 9 different tool heads and that gets expensive.

Sold my SDB and 550 purchased a Hornady LNL; easier and cheaper to just snap a die in and out or change the shell plate.

Also depends on how many rounds you load a year; I do about 12,000.

I have a Dillon 550b and a Redding T7. If you are not a competition shooter the T7 is all you would ever need. Brute strong and precise. With the line up of calibers you load you will have several dollars in setting up each one. If you have the dies for each you are good to go with a turret. T7 will last forever.
    If it doesn't shoot an ounce of lead, its a wimp load.

Boolit Master
    The Lee Classic Cast turret. I can’t speak to all the calibers you listed, but I’ve loaded excellent ammo in .223, .357, .38sp, .41mag, 9mm, and 7.62x39. It’s a simple, reliable, rugged piece of equipment at a reasonable price. I’ve added two upgrades to mine from Inline Fabrication, the roller handle and case ejector system. You can crank out a fair amount of ammo in a short time without all the complicated stuff involved with progressive loaders.

Super Moderator

You could also keep an eye out in the S&S section for a used Dillon 550. I see them pop up on occasion.

A progressive is a obvious choice, but if you don't like them and have room on the bench-
    mount a couple more single stage ones.

Or get a LNL Hornady with the quick change bushings.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Lee Classic Turret, so affordable I have 3 set up in a row. 38,44,45 dedicated for those calibers. I just set down and start pulling a handle. Of course I have a single stage also set up at the end for incidental work. And the Large Lee rock-crusher type for 45/70, 300 win mag, etc.
    The Lee has always treated me good.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    IMHO, anyone who breaks ANY commercially available press is doing something badly wrong, they are all over-made for common reloading chores.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a lee pro 1000. with case and bullet feeders. Sometimes it flies along, and other times its a PITA.
    Recently, I have taken to priming off the press with a lee hand held primer. I initially load the case feeder, then just size and deprime on the press, then after hand priming run them through again adding powder and bullets. Still fast, and less problems.
    Midway and Titan have some on sale with lower prices.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    IMHO, anyone who breaks ANY commercially available press is doing something badly wrong, they are all over-made for common reloading chores.
    I'll agree with the presses being suitable for common reloading chores. Making blanks typically isn't a common reloading chore, especially if doing multiple case forming/resizing steps at one time on a multi-stage press. A Dillon 1050 will handle it, a Dillon 450 not so much.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast