Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CCI 22 CB's

Love them cci cb short. Use them in a H&R bolt action single shot. Vermin on a daily basis. Couple of coyotes and fox with head shots. Nice to know that they can be used on hogs and deer with proper shot placement.

Boolit Man
    I think I have about 100 of the CB shorts that I have had for about 30 years. I forget I have them until I see a post like this!

As far as availability- not price- I have been able to pick up "Specialty" .22 ammo lately.
    Federal .22 shot, CCI CB Long, and CCI .22 Short HP.
    Now, if I can find some Colibris!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    They are really fun to shoot in a Remington 550-1 semiauto rifle. The 550-1 has a Williams floating chamber, so it functions with shorts, longs, or long rifles. Mine will work with the CBs as long as it's clean and well lubricated. The CBs are hearing safe in the Remington's 24" barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    Been whacking wild hogs with CCI CB Shorts for near 20 years. Ballpark 200 pigs and had to shoot one a couple times. Short match barrel that shoots one hole groups at 25 yds.

What kind of short match barrel are you using?

My Dad just beaned another starling for me this morning before church.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5526 2.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	300228
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

I've been looking out for CCI CB's but none available. A few days ago I went into a guns shop and found Fiocchi long Z 30gr. Turns out they are similar to the CCI CB's, just a bit faster at 853 fps. I see Winchester are into the game too with their 29gr pills at 770 fps, also called long Z. Z for Zimmer it seems. My plan is to dedicate one rifle for them if one of my 22's is accurate enough with them and suppress it.

I see Fiocchi is made in England. Well at least the Fiocchi subsonics I bought are. The Long Zs are made in Italy though.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 06-05-2022 at 03:46 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy

Those CB shorts have been my go-to since the mid 1990's when the lgs owner told me they were the highest selling .22 ammo at his store. I took many rabbits in the orchards with them over the years.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had some CCI CB caps back in the 70's. Short version in a green box. Out of a 24" barrel, they were pretty quiet. Think around 660 fps or so. Still put the smack on a few crows in the pecan trees. They had no idea what was going on, the CB's were so quiet.

Boolit Master
    For quiet back yard shooting of pests, I use a 22cal PCP pellet gun with a suppressor. With the pellets it likes it shoots under an inch at 50yds.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    For quiet back yard shooting of pests, I use a 22cal PCP pellet gun with a suppressor. With the pellets it likes it shoots under an inch at 50yds.
    I have been using a PCP for squirrel hunting and backyard entertainment since the last rimfire shortage. Pellets have gone up in price and scarcity like everything else, but it was never as bad as the still-painful ammo shortage! (Plus, pellets are a lot safer in the back yard...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    What kind of short match barrel are you using?
    T/C Contender Carbine, special order barrel that's been with me for a little over 20 years.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Bub
    I have a ruger 10-22 with the Volquartsen 22 short conversion barrel and magazine.
    I've killed more varmints with this set up than any other firearm for game animals or birds.....

Quote Originally Posted by mobilemail View Post
    I have been using a PCP for squirrel hunting and backyard entertainment since the last rimfire shortage. Pellets have gone up in price and scarcity like everything else, but it was never as bad as the still-painful ammo shortage! (Plus, pellets are a lot safer in the back yard...
    I loaded up some 22-250's for my father in law; I used WLR primers and a 22 cal air rifle pellets and no powder, IIRC I took the expander off and neck sized and thumb pressed the pellets in. Penetrated about 3/4" of pine on a 1 x 4 pine board. Very quiet out of a relatively short 22-250 bbl. Win M 70 FWT

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    I loaded up some 22-250's for my father in law; I used WLR primers and a 22 cal air rifle pellets and no powder, IIRC I took the expander off and neck sized and thumb pressed the pellets in. Penetrated about 3/4" of pine on a 1 x 4 pine board. Very quiet out of a relatively short 22-250 bbl. Win M 70 FWT
    Ima think Ima have to try something like that with my 218 Bee. Maybe small rifle mag primers. Wonder if a guy oughta lube the pellets with allox or sum-thin??

My Crossman 22 cal pellets seem to measure around .222", so your idea for leaving the expander out would be necessary. Thanks for the idea. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    just yesterday noticed midway has many cci 22's in stock including quiets. prices are high but it is what it is, at least they are becoming available once again

Boolit Master
    I was in Scheels in Missoula yesterday and they had stacks of 22lr and a bunch of the CCI 22 short CBs. The CB shorts were 12.99 per 100. I have two boxes of CCI CB shorts that I got a year or so ago at 9.99 per 100. Since I got a pcp pellet gun and a few thousand Crosman domed 22 pellets at about $13 per thousand, I haven't used many of the CBs.

While cooking ribs over pecan wood this evening, I passed some time by plinking pieces of clay pigeon with CB longs from the 40 yard berm.
    Almost dark, and the old Valor 4x and the 581 Remington made it easy.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I've been buying CB Longs and Quiets direct from CCI on their website. Availablity is a bit spotty but I can usually get what I want in a few days or so. I really like the "Supressor" load with a 45 grain bullet at 970 fps for a bit more oomph. Their prices are more reasonable than most retailers I've seen.
    Rick

I am down hearted. I tried my CB equivalents and my shotgun can do tighter patterns!

On the bright side, I have a number of single shots that have never been fired - you can see where I am going with this ....

One single shot (the only one I have put through its paces) has produced a group one can only dream of so one never knows. If I can find a rifle that shoots them well and dedicate it to them, that would give me an excuse for keeping it. It would get a suppressor of course. But for now I have a new pursuit. So it's all fun.

I just had a look at what that rifle actually did.

And there were more than just that one. Heck, that's all I can get with my 510! Well anyway, we'll see what one of these can do with the Z's.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 06-21-2022 at 12:47 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast