RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shot the ccw requalification

Super Moderator

I shot my initial CCW qualification with a revolver too. I used a Dan Wesson Model 15 and dropped no points. As I have grown older, I find myself shooting my revolvers more and more. Tired of chasing brass I guess...

ADMIN

I shot my qualification with my 625 also.
    I had one flier. I couldn't hear if the instructor said fire 2 shots or 3 shots. It was a timed event. I had to wait for the other to stop firing in order to ask him.
    Also I found that the gun got heavy after a while.
    There was a new shooter with a "rental" Glock. They only gave him 1 mag. So he had to reload all the time.
    The drill was fire 2 shots and remain at the "ready".
    Which means have the weapon drawn and pointed at a 45 degree angle at the floor in front of you after you finished shooting.
    The guy took 5 mins to reload 3 more rounds into the mag as he dropped 2 rounds to the ground.

I had moon clips already loaded up with my ammo. Instructor said I was faster then some of hit auto shooters (mag changers) on reloading.

Boolit Master
    Mighty good example for the rest of the folks shooting. And a fine lesson for the "spray and pray" people.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Good shooting.

I am a Wilderness Carry Examiner. This is a National Exam requiring clients to shoot into an 18" circle at distances of 5, 10 and 15 meters. Each Position is timed. .357 is the minimum caliber. Shooting from each position is time limited. You must use a belt holster with a strap retention. Once qualified the application is sent into the Chief Firearms Officer for the Province for approval. Your work must require you to work in areas where there is likely to be encounters with dangerous wildlife eg Bears and Cougars. Open carry is mandated.

I might get one applicant a year.

I have qualified with a Ruger GP-100 and a 1911 using 45-08 Cartridges.

We have the stupidest gun laws ever written by man. Our village idiot aka our Prime Minister recently, by Order in Council, banned AR 15's and variants along with the CZ Skorpian, the Berretta CX4 Storm and a Sig. The OIC is presently being challenged in Court. There is a chance a Judge may throw ruling it is an unjustified Order.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 06-07-2021 at 12:09 PM.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Bub
    Excellent!

The Texas course of fire is 20 rounds at 3 yards, 20 rounds at 7 yards, and 10 rounds at 15 yards. Not exactly difficult, especially the way they score it. The maximum score is 250. Passing is 175. You can get 200 points even if you miss all the 15 yard. Notice how large the 5 point area is.

Not wanting to show off too much I decided to "handicap" myself a little and shot it with a Taurus .380. Well....make it appear I was handicapping myself. It didn't really work. The young "tactical" Glock guys saw my target and the gun I was shooting and looked more than a tad perplexed. Of course they don't know what I know about how that particular Taurus performs. I'm also probably 100,000 rounds and decades ahead of them in practice. Nobody failed but I was a bit surprised that I was the only one with a perfect score. One guy did have a 249. He was also what you'd call "mature" like me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2036.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	284113

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the information robertbanks on how Canada does this. I carry almost all the time when I go into the woods, my preference. I gather from your post that is only allowed in Canada if you are working? The dangerous animals leave you alone if you are not working...well trained animals! Do they include moose as dangerous animals?

Can you share what the time requirements are for each distance?

On our trips through Canada we have always been well treated by Canadians.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    Thanks for the information robertbanks on how Canada does this. I carry almost all the time when I go into the woods, my preference. I gather from your post that is only allowed in Canada if you are working? The dangerous animals leave you alone if you are not working...well trained animals! Do they include moose as dangerous animals?

Can you share what the time requirements are for each distance?

On our trips through Canada we have always been well treated by Canadians.
    Each Province nay have different proficiency tests. The National regulations that apply to all of Canada stipulate you must be a Canadian resident and hold a License Authorizing the the Possession to own a firearm aka PAL. The Law covering this subject also allows for a License to Protect oneself from threats. The RCMP will not provide how many of these permits have been issued. I suspect they are limited to Judges and rare cases where an individual has a elgitimate threat known to be true by the RCMP. (Knowledge from a former retired Judge -since passed).

Back to your question: Yes you are right the Wilderness Permit is limited to folks who are, in their work environment find themselves in areas where wildlife may present a threat to their lives eg. trappers, miners, surveyors, camp cooks etc.

Here is the info you asked about:

Assessment:

• The applicant must shoot in both standing and kneeling positions for each distance (5, 10 and 15

metres).

• For each firing position at each distance, the applicant must discharge six (6) rounds, unsupported,

within 20 seconds, in one continuous motion.

Scoring:

• The administrator must indicate the total number of hits for each shooting position and distance.

A hit is awarded when a round lands on the designated scoring area of the target. The designated

scoring area is defined as being a circle with a radius of 9 inches or 23 cm.

• The applicant must achieve 15 hits for every 18 rounds fired for each shooting position.

• If an applicant fails to achieve the minimum pass mark, the applicant must be retested for the

failed shooting position at all three distances.

I suspect most on this forum would smile when they see the test. Shooting into an 18" circle at the distances set out is not much of a challenge for most who would think a handgun is there first or second choice for predator protection in the bush. Still I have had perspective students fail the test.

If you do fail the test, see the following:
    • An applicant can only attempt a maximum of two retests for each shooting distance.

• If an applicant fails to achieve the minimum pass mark after three attempts for any distance, the

applicant can not attempt to do the POP assessment until after a minimum of 30 days have passed.

• The administrator must submit all POP assessment results – pass or fail – to the Chief Firearms

Officer of their jurisdiction.

As an aside, and I apologize for the thread drift the following might be of interest.

Once our border opens again for US residents, hopefully this summer- please get your vaccinations for Covid. and you plan to camp or even just hike around say Banff bring a can of Bear Spray with you for each adult in your party. DO NOT BRING A TASER , A STUN GUN OR SIMILAR PRODUCT OR MACE OR IT'S EQQUIVALENT. Declare the bear spray and carefully explain why you have it with you. Travelling around our wine country in BC and staying at hotels, motels and B&B's won't cut it. Staying in a hotel, motel say in Banff or Jasper with intentions of hiking would be enough reason I would think.

Most folks here I am sure have watched the Border Patrol TV programs featuring the US Border Patrol, Canadian Border Services, Australian Border Services etc in action. Each just want to do their best to keep us safe.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    You said the RO didn't know how to score that and I'm sure he was kidding, but who knows. Was that all 30 shots (300-28x)?
    Even master class shooters will sometimes flub up and throw wide 10 or a 9. Under the circumstances of being watched and such, that is outstanding shooting.
    Tony

I thought all but one were in the x zone or cut the line but I don't know

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, the one at 1 oclock could be in. Would have to use an overlay. Still damm good shooting. How do you have your sights adjusted?
    Boolit on top of front shght or front sight covering the boolit?

Nice shooting! Up north in the Chicago suburbs, they want to be able to score every shot. Both for my initial CCW and renewal, which had different companies and instructors, they told us to space them out as they need to see every shot. Maybe up here they are more careful about the state coming after them? We already lost so many FFLs we can’t lose any more!

Quote Originally Posted by ABJ View Post
    Yeah, the one at 1 oclock could be in. Would have to use an overlay. Still damm good shooting. How do you have your sights adjusted?
    Boolit on top of front shght or front sight covering the boolit?
    All my adjustable sighted guns are set so whatever the front sight covers gets a hole in it. I suck at 6 o'clock hold.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess we are lucky down south. Ga has no shooting provisions for carry license. Some of the states are considering doing away with the license requirement all together.
    On the other hand if we did have to qualify, I'm pretty sure 75% of the license's would be revoked. I'm glad I have a place to shoot at home, going to the indoor range is scary.

Boolit Buddy
    "whatever the front sight covers gets a hole in it"
    LOL I love the way that rolls off the tongue. I may have to borrow that.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ABJ View Post
    You said the RO didn't know how to score that and I'm sure he was kidding, but who knows.....

No, he probably was not kidding. They have to prove that all of your rounds hit the target, ie, 25 shots, 25 holes. Not one big hole.

For bigger competition you either shoot one shot per bull, there is a moving backer or a pit crew that inspects the target after each shot (now days electronic targets solve most of the problems).

I read that a young George Patton lost an Olympic medal because he put two bullets through the same hole. Supposedly that led to the one shot per target procedure.

Boolit Master
    I used to shoot NRA 50' indoor and there were several shooters using a 45acp that could make scoring even ten rounds in one target difficult at 50'.

Good Chutin Mon. I have to renew my CPL in September. I apply to the County Sheriff No shooting involved. Even if there were I would pass. I already have the written part done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12