Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screwdriver Boolits

Boolit Master

Screwdriver Boolits

Does anyone know of a mould for screwdriver boolits?

It seems to me that hard cast boolits of this style would work really well. Soft hollow points don't always like to be smashed into a feed ramp, but a hard cast boolit of this design should be easy to churn out and wouldn't deform on the way into the tube.

I can already see the challenge of mass producing these the traditional way moulds are cut, but with today's CNC machines it should be possible. I'd pay more for something of this design.

Boolit Master
    There was a fellow a few years ago who went a bit further with outrageous tips on cast bullets, one was an actual screw. Maybe someone else remembers his handle or look in the archives.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

frustrating...I remember seeing those and more like them but my search efforts have failed miserably.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    That’s an interesting design. I guess it is supposed to open up like petals of a flower. Have you ever looked inside one? Is it a solid lead core or is there possibly a hollow point under the jacket?

Boolit Master
    As I remember he was a retired machinist with a CNC mill doing the near impossible. I think there were 2 Threads with lots of pictures. I looked too and didn't find them. They might have been in Castpics.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Take a guess, how much do you think that profile would cost in a mold?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    That’s an interesting design. I guess it is supposed to open up like petals of a flower. Have you ever looked inside one? Is it a solid lead core or is there possibly a hollow point under the jacket?
    It doesn’t open at all. Instead the scallops create a wake effect in ballistic gelatin (and presumably meat) that is supposed to incapacitate via hydrostatic shock. It all sounds very hypothetical to me and I would want to see a ton of evidence from real shootings before I went that way on carry ammo.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    https://youtu.be/DYLbmSp5itA

Take a gander at this!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah… that video doesn’t make me feel any better about the design for self defense…
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    It doesn’t open at all. Instead the scallops create a wake effect in ballistic gelatin (and presumably meat) that is supposed to incapacitate via hydrostatic shock. It all sounds very hypothetical to me and I would want to see a ton of evidence from real shootings before I went that way on carry ammo.
    Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    As I remember he was a retired machinist with a CNC mill doing the near impossible. I think there were 2 Threads with lots of pictures. I looked too and didn't find them. They might have been in Castpics.
    I think the best way to make a mold for this profile would be with an EDM system. And I wouldn't chose it for self-defense unless I lived alone in the deep woods. WAY too much penetration for soft targets like humans. I'm in town, got neighbor's houses within 10 feet mine on one side, and about 20 on the other. I mostly like my neighbors, and wouldn't want to be penetrating them.

Bill

Boolit Master
    I remember reading that those were designed for the “Second Chance” pistol matches where the winner is the one who clears a table full of bowling pins in the shortest time.

Of course, the gamesmen went after this as soon as it was set up. Hollow points filled up with wood, and didn’t expand enough to make a difference over solid flat points. More power was not the answer, either. A Magnum load might knock a pin off with a marginal hit, but a center hit would splinter the pin, and splinters on the table count as pins and are harder to clean off.

So that Phillips design was devised, which (theoretically) would twist the pin off its base with any reasonably solid hit, and hopefully roll it off the table.

You’d need a special (and expensive) nose punch on a swage die to make that design work in production.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    I remember reading that those were designed for the “Second Chance” pistol matches where the winner is the one who clears a table full of bowling pins in the shortest time.

Of course, the gamesmen went after this as soon as it was set up. Hollow points filled up with wood, and didn’t expand enough to make a difference over solid flat points. More power was not the answer, either. A Magnum load might knock a pin off with a marginal hit, but a center hit would splinter the pin, and splinters on the table count as pins and are harder to clean off.

So that Phillips design was devised, which (theoretically) would twist the pin off its base with any reasonably solid hit, and hopefully roll it off the table.

You’d need a special (and expensive) nose punch on a swage die to make that design work in production.
    Wow!! Talk about what happens when necessity being the mother of invention meeting American ingenuity!!

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Interesting!

Is the dollar plus per slug their standard or panic shortage price?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    The bullet in the OPs image is monolithic and doesn't expand at all. The flutes coupled with the spin of the bullet force fluid outward when it strikes tissue, but it'll penetrate through intermediate barriers without much deformation or loss of terminal effect.

Boolit Master
    That sounds close to the price they normally are.

Boolit Master
    I just use a Hard "hard cast" bullet with a very decent flat meplat and don't worry about it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Yeah… that video doesn’t make me feel any better about the design for self defense…
    I suppose nothing will, but I mainly carry a .32 or .38 snubby so hollow points aren't that reliable either. Wadcutters my be the next best choice but this design looks very promising and I'd like to cast them for pennies rather than buy solid copper boolits for a few dollars each.

Boolit Grand Master
    What might be desirable would be a reduction of metal in the front of the bullet to reduce penetration but too much would make the bullet too fragile for feed ramp impact when cast of lead versus the same in a copper alloy.

Look up “Xtreme Defender.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast