Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I could use some bore help

Be careful with your homemade bore cleaner it will take out some of the bore if used to long or too much.
    I had a Carcano that looked like a sewer pipe, used my homemade bore cleaner in two 15 minutes sessions. You should have seen the junk come out. Bore is still not perfect but it does shoot cast as long as I size my bullets to .269/.270 it will keep them on paper.

Boolit Bub
    I ran the EBC several times and would get little black flakes ( looked like pepper) when I would dump the ammonia out of bore. Then I would scrub with patch and get more dark smear on patches. I have used up a shoebox full of patches so far. Soaked the bore overnight in Seafoam Carb and manifold cleaner because it appears that the GM Top End cleaner has had the formula changed and isn't as strong any longer. I got some more black gunge out and went back to the EBC and was getting pepper flakes out again with an occasional glimmer of copper. I tried the Vinegar and ammonia together and got the original red color liquid out of the bore. rinsed the barrel with carb cleaner and went back to straight ammonia and no more red colored liquid came out I think that the red color is a reaction to the vinegar but not necessarily rust from the bore since I don't seem to have come close to the metal under the fouling yet. . I dug around and found an old can of military bore cleaner for corrosive ammo and now have the bore soaking in it. I can't believe that there could have been so much **** packed into the lands. It does explain why I could not slug the barrel with one of my cast bullets poured with pure soft lead. I tried to drive through from the chamber and it barely made it past the throat. I had to go get a 1/4" steel rod to beat it out. It was tight. I don't know how long this will take but I have too much time invested to quit now Sooner or later I will find the metal in the lands. It looks a lot better now but I want to see a patch without black on it. The battle continues.

your vinegar and hydrogen peroxide soln may be eating your bbl. hydrogen peroxide is a strong oxidizing agent (per-oxide means an extra oxygen: H2O2 rather than H2O) and vinegar is an acid as said before, metal oxides aren't very soluble in water solns or oils I assume either. Maybe what is happening is that the old soft steel used is very much iron in nature w/ little nickel/antimony to make the steel a true steel. You are oxidizing the iron w/ peroxide and then making it soluble in the soln you are using with the acid (metal oxides are more soluble in acidic solvents) hence the reddish color (Fe2O3 or FeO) Try letting your red color dry on a piece of paper or put a strong field magnet under the bucket to move the color particles.
    But...... your peroxide bottle is only 3%-5% h2o2 and your vineger is only about 30% acetic acid so maybe not.
    This is a very good experiment to find the best way to clean out anything and maybe should be archived somewhere when you find the best method.....sticky???

Boolit Bub
    Dumped the Mil-surp bore cleaner out today and it was darker and thicker than it went in. I got more black streaks on the patches and shot some carb cleaner down the bore than more patches. still coming dirty. I tried the EBC again and this time just used 50/50 ammonia vinegar ( no Hydrogen peroxide ) and got my reddish-caramel colored fluid coming back out. Its about 95 degrees here so I poured it into a container and let the sun dry it out. Scraped the residue it left and ran a powerful magnet over it. Nothing stuck to the magnet. Doesn't that rule out some type of iron oxide as causing the reddish color? Running the EBC some more. When I pull the rod from the bore and wipe it off it leaves dark gray-black steaks on my rag and when the rod dries it is a dark matte gray color compared to the bright shiny way it looked before I used it. The saga continues............ Just dumped the last batch out and it was darker and dirtier than usual. This stuff was actually looking like I may be making headway. I put the magnet on the outside of the plastic dish I had poured the 50/50 mix into and this time I was able to attract a small amount of Iron sticking to were the magnet was. It may or may not be from the steel wool covered bore brush I have been swabbing the barrel with. Maybe I have made a breakthrough on the fouling. I am going to run a fresh batch of mix and the EBC than go back to straight ammonia as it seems to have little affect on the barrel itself.
    Last edited by xtratoy; 08-24-2010 at 06:34 PM.