MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heads up on Midway

Boolit Master
    A word for Canadians. The USPS is far cheaper than the delivery outfits because they don't gouge on broker fees.

Banned

I use Fedex where possible, they are a private, non-union company and they DO have a complaint dept.

I must say, however, that USPS has not failed me yet with delivery, except for the one time I had to read them the riot act (from their own Employee Handbook) for not delivering a 68 lb flat rate box to my mailbox.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Considering what all of them charge to deliver things, they should bring them in, set them on the bench, and unwrap them for me. I think the shippers make more money when I buy from Midway or whoever, then the store does. And that added $25 for powder or prmers is just an outrageous ripoff. Ok, I've had my rant.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

UPS Basic is a joke , even living on a rural delivery route, and UPS comes thru my street religiously everyday at 4pm, good thing my neighbors use QVC.
    UPS is ok, have only ever had one thing damaged and had to send it back, a 1qt bottle of Hoppes #9. Cant speak to bad of them my dad retired out of there after 40 years, and our local driver does alot with the youth group in a local church, not to mention bagging items that could get wet, helping my wife bring them in if they are heavy, or making an out of the way delivery to my folks house if he sees its for me
    FedEx has screwed up more birthday gifts, and urgent deliveries by requiring a signature on their card, you cant just leave a signed form stating what you are expecting and expect the delivery person to respect it and complete their mission. Not to mention the packages are hammered by the time they get here, and they dont deliver residential on Mondays here.
    US Mail, all good here, our rural route driver goes the extra step in my book, and have yet to have an issue.
    Just my opinion though, I do agree the HazMat fees are ridiculous, and they should better inform you of exactly what each shipping option means.
    If its BIG freight, I cant say enough about R&L.......

Boolit Master
    Well it arrived today from the USPS. On the front is an UPS label that states
    USPS deliver to: I guess that it was pretty quick. The USPS option from midway stated delivery would be 8/18 and UPS basic came today 8/17.

Boolit Mold
    I don't use UPS at all if I can avoid it! I quit years a go when they got too politically correct to handle guns for individuals. I live in the country and use Priority Mail, mostly, but it's getting awfully expensive! I ship guns through my local gun dealer/store. He charges me $40 per transaction! You can't win!
    Dick

Boolit Man
    Graf & Sons. Free Shipping. They use FedEx. End of problem. I've done my last go round with UPS Basic and Midway.

Boolit Master
    I must be the only guy here that likes UPS, my driver knows where to leave stuff, knows I'm not home during the day and all is good. My USPS people are good too, don't complain at all when I get ingots in. FedEx and FedEx ground I always ship with because the office is close and it's easy in and out. I don't like when I receive though as they always leave a signature then leave it the next day, what a PITA. If I know someone is using FedEx, I ship it to where I work, that way I get it without delay.

Boolit Master

The first time I knew of UPS using USPS to deliver to final destination was last Christmas. Several things we ordered for gifts were delivered by the postman but had a UPS label on them(you can always identify that circular or square code). No delays.

I do need to relate something that happened several years ago. I sent a Glock 23(now known as a 1st Gen.) to their service department to have it checked out since I had purchased it used from an individual. When they returned it, the driver, who I knew very well, knew I would be at work and would not be able to sign for it. He also knew that my wife taught at the local elementary school, so he delivered it there. One of the employees in the office signed for the package and announce on the PA system that my wife had a package in the office. She sent a 2nd grader to the office to retrieve the package. In everyone's defense, nothing on the box indicated the contents and the Glock corporate name was not displayed. When I got home and told her what was in the package, she almost shot me on the spot. I guess she would have if she had known how to load it. Can you imagine the repercussions today if something like that happened?

I have mixed feelings about UPS. I know that they have dishonest employees but the driver that took the gun to school is as fine a man as I know. He is also a minister at a small rural church. It is difficult for me to paint everyone with the same brush.

John
    W.TN

Boolit Bub
    My Midway "UPS Basic" order was just delivered to my door about an 1 1/2 hours ago,.....by UPS. Hmmmmm, was expecting to wait until at least until tommorrow's mail delivery. Other than leaving a box with my '03 sitting on my front porch one afternoon, I've got no complaints about UPS. I've called them a couple of different times and they've told me where to catch up to the truck in the neighborhood so I didn't have to wait and go to their facility the next day for pickup (I'm rarely home when they come by..)

Boolit Master
    My main problem with UPS is that they leave items on my doorstep in plain view of the street.
    I could have had a few motherboards, etc. for free if I was that kind of person, signature required, left it outside anyway.
    I have quit using them except when ordering online from an outfit that uses only UPS.
    I hate that but if the price is right I order it, and have them ship it to my wife's office.

Of course the USPS PO Box is a PITA, they have a lot of rules down there, and if you're lucky you can get your package
    with only one 30-min wait in line to get something you signed the form for already.
    The form says "We will re-deliver", don't count on it. I'm talking about non-insured stuff that WILL fit in the big lockers.
    I've had a few talks with them, they are getting better lately.

I usually monitor the tracking system and know when its out for delivery. If I know I'll not be home I put a note on the door giving them (driver) to sign on my behalf (FedEx). So far its been working but I'm usually home.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-ADC View Post
    I remember selling something not to very long ago and took the package to UPS and because I was sending it to a Post Office Box they could not take the package, told me not allowed to deliver to post offices?
    I can't recall a problem I've ever had with Midway USA.
    I agree. I'm really lucky with regard to Midway and shipping by UPS. I live in South Texas, and it seems that Midway must be very near a shipping hub that has a straight shot to San Antonio, some fours hours north of me. Normally, if I order from Midway on Monday morning, I have my package by Thursday afternoon by UPS Ground. Yes, I normally get the goods from them in Three(3) work days.

Last week, I ordered some bore cleaner and targets early on Tuesday morning. It was delivered Thursday afternoon by UPS Ground. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

USPS is a differnt story. I avoid them like a social disease. I have lost boxes of gun parts, knives, and regular mail that could all be traced to the local Post Office, where it then just fell into a black hole. A couple of years ago, one of the blighters who worked there pled guilty to pilfering the mail, but it's still going on.

I once had some important documents sent by "Express Mail" from Houston, a six (6) hour drive from here. They took ten (10) days to arrive.

I've never lost anything with UPS, but I use UPS Ground.
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I bought some camera gear from a reputable outfit in NYC a few weeks ago. Put the order in on-line EARLY Thursday morning. Don't know why it took them until Friday, 11:00ish, to get it into the hands of UPS, but I had ordered three-day shipping and figured it would be delivered Monday or Tuesday. That's what I get for doing my own thinking.

It was transported west across Manhattan from the seller's warehouse to the UPS facility in NJ on Friday. Saturday they handled it again, leaving the computer tracking software to register "Departure Scan" Saturday evening. Nothing appeared on the tracking software until late Tuesday afternoon, whereupon it magically appeared in Albuquerque, shipped in from Dallas/Ft. Worth, without ever having arrived in D/FW. I called UPS and managed to connect to a human. The guy who answered the phone couldn't say much other than that he "understood my frustration". I got him to hook me up to a supervisor who had an IQ above 60, to whom I explained that when I ordered three day shipping for an order placed Thursday, I expected it to arrive Monday. Thursday, Friday, Monday. Comes out to three for me. In addition, I knew they handled it Saturday because I had the tracking info. Well, according to her, since they didn't get it until Friday, Thursday wouldn't count. I said, well then, you had it Friday, handled it Saturday, and Monday would STILL make three days. She told me that Friday didn't count, either, because that day was spent getting it to one of their facilities from the seller's warehouse. I replied that I lived in Arizona and that if I wanted to send something to the San Francisco area and sent it USPS Priority, it ALWAYS arrived the next day, even though the PO only guarantees 3-4 day service. I then told her that if I sent the same package UPS 3-day that they'd make ABSOLUTELY SURE it took three days to deliver it. I don't get it. Are they trying to make sure I get my three day's moneys worth, or are they charging me for storage and making sure I get my money's worth that way? The package finally arrived on Wednesday, having been ordered the previous Thursday, and having been shipped UPS 3-day.

I'm done with them. I could relate a couple more horror stories about them and photographic gear, but I'll let it go. I told their phone rep, but I don't expect to see any changes. I know why their trucks are brown. It matches their service.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    Does Midway give you the option or do they just assume UPS basic is ok with you? If they ship it that way how do you find out where to pick it up? I just ordered some stuff from Midway and they did not ask how I wanted it shipped. I figured it would come by UPS to my door, which is they way I have always got my orders.

Boolit Master

I always leave the ups basic setting on there and almost always get it within two days. the ups guy will give me my package if he sees me in town or on the road.

Boolit Master
    I just went through this thing myself, ordering from Midway. Tracking number verified it was delivered to my PO, so I just went down there and picked it up as I wanted to get casting with my new mold.

The counterperson said UPS has been doing this for about a year, but really ramping up as of late.

Interestingly, UPS was shipping from MO to Louisville (where I live), off to Lexington then "out for delivery" in Louisville the next day. Once I saw this time it was just delivered to my PO, it was no big deal to pick it up.

This option must be for certain areas only.

I just bought stuff from midway today and look at shipping options and basic isn't there.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Master
    I think it is an option that pops up if your order fits criteria. I had ordered a Lyman outside neck turning set. Maybe if you by stuff that is too heavy or contains solvents(LLA) ups ground would then be the choice that pops up. IDK

Boolit Bub
    Same thing happened to me. I called Midway and complained also. The CS guy had a well rehersed response. They must be getting plenty of complaints. USPS Priority for me now too.