WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Bar S Tru Ivory grips and other faux ivory

Boolit Master

Bar S Tru Ivory grips and other faux ivory

Anyone have any opinions, experiences, or valid comparisons (owning both real and faux ivory) of the different faux ivory grip materials??

In the research I've done the Bar S TruIvory looks the most realistic, although the faux ivory that Eagle was doing also looked good, but I heard that Eagle has quit doing them...?
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Have not knowingly seen any Bar S grips, so I don't know how they compare to my favorites...

Altamont Grips. They don't have any "grain," but they fit well, look good, and grip well. I have some on a couple of Rugers. They look and feel just like the synthetic ivory found on quality piano keys.
    Last edited by S.R.Custom; 02-28-2012 at 04:11 AM.
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Some of the grips being advertised as "TruIvory" is using the formula for the original GE micarta. It has the tendency to yellow with age as did real ivory. It was used a lot by custom knife makers to replace ivory when ivory prices went though the roof and became scarce due to importing laws.

It sells for a premium price over the standard white paper micarta that is very common today. It is very tough material and is great for gun grips and knife handle scales. Does not have the tendency to crack like real ivory did and less prone to chipping on the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMineA10mm View Post
    Anyone have any opinions, experiences, or valid comparisons (owning both real and faux ivory) of the different faux ivory grip materials??

In the research I've done the Bar S TruIvory looks the most realistic, although the faux ivory that Eagle was doing also looked good, but I heard that Eagle has quit doing them...?
    I had Tru-Ivory put new grips on my SAA clones and they are beautiful. They are a might pricy, but well worth the cost.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HPIM0132.jpg  

Boolit Master

I'm saying this without any of the other guys comments or observations, didn't even look!.
    I definitely haven't seen are handled a lot of Hog Leg revolvers, but I have handled some of the best!!!
    As for a handle there is nothing in my opinion that will ever take the place of Elephant (real) Ivory. It's beauty and character just simply changes and grows more beautiful as some of us gradually go in the other direction, it's just plain AWESOME!!

Boolit Master

Thanks for the input, everyone. I've got laminated real ivory atop rosewood bases which came on a Colt Argentine Model made in the early 30s that my dad bought in the 60s or 70s, but I can't afford real ivory at this point.

I've seen some faux ivory, and most of it looks like bright white plastic, which looks horrible to my eyes. Some folks like it that way, and that's fine, but when I think of ivory grips, I think of the honey-butter yellowed grips with light graining as on the SAA the Duke wore in his later movies.

The only faux ivory I've seen that comes close is the TruIvory, and hence my question.

I noticed they don't put prices on their site, even though it's synthetic material. That kinda makes me nervous. I saw some of you say they're pricey, but how much am I looking at spending for them??
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master

Ivory-real or looks like

I am attaching pictures of ivory grips on a Colt single action that a man made for me in the late 1960s. If you look closely you can see the cracks that ivory develops. About 1961 I bought a Rogers & Spencer cap and ball pistol that had very old walrus ivory grips and while they had turned yellow they had not developed cracks. It has been along time since I owned the gun but if memory serves they didn't have the fine lines in them that elephant ivory does. Also pictured are grips made of what I assume is Micarta on a Ruger Single Six. I think they are about twenty years old. While the look-a-like grips are pleasing to look at, at least to me , there is no doubt which are real ivory. By the way, the man charged me a whopping fifty bucks to make the ivory grips and he would make a set of S&W Magna grips for one hundred dollars. Oh for the good old days.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 09-08-2010 at 05:31 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Bub
    I am one of the lucky ones, I bought the elephant ivory grips on my 1911 in the 90's for $90. If I broke one tomorrow I guess I would just have to buy a new set whatever the cost. For me, there is no substitute for elephant tusk. The buttery yellow, the lines of the growth rings, it is without a doubt the best looking, coolest grip possible.

The only thing I have seen that even came close is some of the best grades of extinct mammoth tusk and those are not exactly cheap themselves.

I know everyone is on a budget, but for me synthetic cannot compare to the real thing and if this is a gun you are going to keep for the rest of your life does the price of the grips matter that much? Mine are 30 years newer than Gopher Slayer's, but they do not have any cracks yet. They have a few scratches from use, but that is all.

Another thing to think about, the dollar drops in value every day and every day ivory increases in value...

Boolit Master

Well, here are some photos from Bar S Tru Ivory's web gallery. You'll see why they caught my eye:

Looks like they're around $150 for a revolver, and $95 for a 1911.

These are the darkest (most antique-looking), and they have two light shades. No price difference for the different "age" looks, apparently.

Groo here
    I have seen American Holly that look and feel good warm not cold like plastic.

Boolit Master
    Another option to synthetic might be smooth eLk stag (with the bark removed). I fitted them to a couple of my single actions and like them.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, here are some photos from Bar S Tru Ivory's web gallery. You'll see why they caught my eye:

Looks like they're around $150 for a revolver, and $95 for a 1911.

These are the darkest (most antique-looking), and they have two light shades. No price difference for the different "age" looks, apparently.
    I like the color of the ultra antique a lot better than most of the polymer ivories that I have seen. I have a set of I think Ajax ivory polymers on a Single-Six, they look okay, but are still as white as the day I put them on. I much prefer the aged ivory look.

Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Another option to synthetic might be smooth eLk stag (with the bark removed). I fitted them to a couple of my single actions and like them.
    I would truly like to see some photos of that! I've shied away from stag, because I don't like the bark. I'd love to see it with none (bark removed).

Boolit Master
    I would truly like to see some photos of that! I've shied away from stag, because I don't like the bark. I'd love to see it with none (bark removed).

Here you go.

I fit these about 4 or 5 years ago and both have been carried quite a bit, and have aged some. This is elk stag and a bit more porous than red stag. Not softer and certainly not weaker just a bit more porous. I am working on ways to fill in the pores but nothing I have tried is satisfactory yet. Of course, I have only tried a couple of things, my time is needed elsewhere about the home, not so much in the shop.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Thanks Straw!