MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The real stuff

Boolit Master

The real stuff

Real black powder
    Till I can get me some REAL black powder, what do you guy's recommend.Back
    in the ole days when I shot bp alot I never did like Pyradex if that's how it's spelled.

But what is a good substitute till I can get the real stuff.Things have really
    changed from the good ole days.

Thanks Fly

"PS" If there is anyone here that knows a dealer in OKC or Tulsa that sells
    real bp please reply.

Boolit Master

I like Pyrodex. I just open up the nipples a tad.
    Goes off ok.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    The best place around these parts is in Clarksville or Ozone AR, retailer and wholesaler respectively. If you can wait, I can help. I can deliver to Tulsa area any amount of whatever you want. All brands, all granulation if not sold out. PM me if interested. ... felix
    felix

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    I like Pyrodex. I just open up the nipples a tad.
    Goes off ok.
    Opening up nipples is a dangerous practice. Don't do it!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I opened up the nipple on my TC New Englander years ago and never had a problem.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Cast Hunter

I've had good luck with 777.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Like RugerFan said 777 or tripple 7 works great. I used to use Goex black but where I get my muzzleloader stuff they quit getting it. I went in there one time and asked for black powder and they looked at me like I wanted to buy Crack Cocaine.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

When you get ready to buy the real stuff there is a place in AR that has great prices and service -- Powder Inc. In the mean time, I suppose any of the subs will work. I have found that 777 is a bit more powerful than black powder and Pyrodex (volume to volume). If you are shooting 777 in an older gun or one of weaker design you may consider dropping the load some.

Boolit Grand Master

I've never had a problem with Pyrodex. It is all I have used except BP with the exception of American Pioneer in my 45-70.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

I never had a problem with Pyrodex other than that I never got real good accuracy from it. I use T7 nowadays and like it ALOT. The only caveat with T7 thaat I have found is that it doesn't like alot of compression. I even use it sometimes in my rocklocks (after priming with real 3F) just to save my dwindling supplies of holy black.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Pyrodex fff works just as well as blackpowder in eveything but a flintlock. 777 works fine too.

Boolit Master

As for opening up nipples, it happens when you shoot enough, then you replace them. It dosen't take to much to set the hammer on half cock, then you are looking at lock repairs. One season of M/L shotgun compition is enough to burn out good stainless steel nipples. As they burn out ignition becomes less consistant and cap splatter and blow buy becomes more noticable on your arm. If you shoot much, carry spare nipples in your shooting box. I had to learn the hard way, nipples are cheap compared to locks.

As for powder, there are dealers who will ship to you. I am lucky enough to be at Friendship two or more times a year and can keep a stock on hand.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    There are several ways to buy and shoot the real thing. Several companies will ship you as small a order as 5 lbs but that makes it very expensive because of the shipping and Haz-Mat fees. Grafs will ship smaller orders of 5,10,15 and so on.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

I don't think that real BP is very hard to find.... fairly easy sources have already been posted. But buying it down at the local market for $2/lb is a thing of the long ago past. For metro Okrahoma areas I'd think most any gun/sporting goods store even Walmart should have at least some Pyrodex. Even tho I dislike and abandoned Pyrodex shortly after its introduction in the 70s it is one of the most common of the BP subs and will work in a pinch.

Curious the talk about opening the flash hole in nipples... I'm constantly trying to find nipples with the smallest flash holes.... including #11 Musket nipples. I have no interest or need in trying to ignite powder thru battlefield sludge or because of questionable loading or cleaning habits, let alone "auto" cocking of percussion hammers

Pyrodex has been found to be more corrosive than the real black. Had chemists explain why. I have tried 777 and found it to be more desirable. BP is better.

Northmn

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampman View Post
    Pyrodex fff works just as well as blackpowder in eveything but a flintlock. 777 works fine too.
    I had trouble getting it to ignite in an 1861 Navy. I had screwd up and left my just filled powder flask at home, so we tried the pyrodex that my cousin had. It didn't work very well.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    Pyrodex has been found to be more corrosive than the real black.
    An old wives tale with no factual basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampman View Post
    An old wives tale with no factual basis.
    There is a great deal of factual basis to the statement. A gnetleman who goes by the handle of Mad Monk on the ALR site also works as a chemist and has explained why these powders are very corrosive. According to him Pyrodex contains Potassium percholate which turns into a salt, potassium chloride on combustion. It can damage a bore within a few hours in a humid climate if not cleaned thorughly and very soon. His claim is that Pyrodex can be more corrosive than BP and will start micro pitting very soon. If cleaned right after shooting or used in a dryer climate it is not so bad.

Northmn

my own experiments with pyrodex and BP show me that pyrodex is indeed more corrosive and it must be cleaned rather quick after firing i wouldn't wait more than a couple hours. steve k
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Boolit Master

+1 on pyrodrex being more corrosive, if you break for lunch the barrel must be cleaned if you like the gun. It may be the humidity here also when a can is opened it needs to be shot up in a few days or it will shoot several inches low at 50 yds. Before I was properly schooled I have shot over the weekend and not cleanedthe shotgun till after the shoot with B/P. I would not consider it with the subs.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10