Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: 45 ACP Brass Weight Comparison

Boolit Buddy

45 ACP Brass Weight Comparison

I realized today, While sorting 45 ACP brass by headstamp, that I was in a unique position to determine the variance of weights between some of the different makers of brass. I just got done sorting about 15,000 cases by headstamp, and I had a good assortment of brass manufacturers.

So, I proceeded to take 3 samples of 10 from each manufacturer. I weighed each batch with my counting scale, Which is accurate to .001lbs (about 1/2 gram.) Then the three readings are averaged together. Not a perfect test using this scale, to be sure, but it is pretty indicative after the different batches are weighed and averaged.

Anyway, 3 batches of 10 cases of each manufacturer, each batch weighed twice, and sale zeroed before each reading. All are commercial except I believe the WCC Match. All the brass had already been tumbled in walnut in my cement mixer for at least 4 hours.

All weights shown below are shown in thousandths of a pound. ie: Federal is 12.6 thousandths of a pound.

In no particular order:

Federal 12.6
    Speer 12.9
    Winchester 12.8
    Starline 12.7
    PMC 13.4
    CBC 12.9
    CCI 12.9
    WCC Match 12.1 (years 96 and 98)
    S&B 12.7
    Fiocci 12.3
    Blazer 12.5
    CorBon 12.6
    G.F.L. 12.9
    W.W. 14.0
    AMERC 14.1 (before you ask, yes I threw all the Amerc away. I had to dig in the trash to get the samples )

I hope someone finds this interestin and useful....

Bion
    Last edited by housedad; 08-10-2010 at 01:41 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I should add a observance.

Each manufacturer and brand has it's own special things that identify it somehow, either in color, the way it is stamped, fine lines on it from the drawing process, variances in the cut of the rim, etc. I have looked at the individual headstamps and bodies of literally over 65 thousand 45 ACP cases.

The Speer and CBC brass are identical twins. The only difference is the name stamped on them. It is my belief that the CBC bras is made by Speer. Among other things, they both have a uniue concavity around the primer that is not on any other brand.
    Last edited by housedad; 08-10-2010 at 02:20 AM.

Very interesting H.D. I was surprised to find the match brass the lightest.
    BTW what is the amerc stuff?
    A couple years back I was having some difficulties with .45acp and found it to be the amerc brass. I sorted it out and problem solved.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't know about .45ACP, but last time I weighed it, Federal 9mm brass was lighter than most as well. Good Study!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mroliver77 View Post
    Very interesting H.D. I was surprised to find the match brass the lightest.
    BTW what is the amerc stuff?
    A couple years back I was having some difficulties with .45acp and found it to be the amerc brass. I sorted it out and problem solved.
    Jay
    Amerc brass is known for problems with the primer pocket. They are a bit loose. Of the 50 or so that I have found (thank GOD only 50) many of the primers are mising, blown out or have huge holes in them. The brass that has had a primer blown out will not hold a new primer. The brass is also pretty soft.

I tried to reload them to see if the bad reputation was deserved. IT IS.

I throw them away.

Boolit Buddy
    BTw, there are color differences between the brass. This indicates a different alloy of the brass. Most cartridge brass is listed as 70% copper, 30% zink. Just changing the alloy a little, to 65% copper and 35% zink makes it into Yelllow Brass. I am sure there are some slight differences between manufacturers. Maybe I should compare them and post it.