RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: attaching a front sight with a screw

attaching a front sight with a screw

I have a few OM's to shorten and have been considering using a screw. I have been soldering them in the past, but want to try this way. Now drilling the factory sight isn't much of a problem, but drilling the barrel is a problem. Seems like I can't get it set right in my press now matter how hard I try, plus my junky cheap drill press has enough slack, that the head wants to wander. I was looking on Belt Mountain's sight and saw a neat tool that they called a drilling collar that might be just the ticket for drilling the barrel for a sight.

http://www.beltmountain.com/number5/...e/Mvc-016s.jpg

With that tool, it would be a snap to drill the barrel. Especially if that flat was perpendicular to the hole. I could clamp the revolver in a vice and level the top strap. Then clamp the drilling collar to the barrel, level the flat of the collar and drill with a bit and a stop.

For that matter, it could be a flat bar with a "V" that I could clamp to the barrel and use that as a guide. Anybody know where to get the tools I am talking about? Or have any experience with them?

Or maybe, use a 1 piece Redfield base for something with a round receiver, drill out the front screw hole and install a hardened bushing that will fit a #6 bit. Then I could clamp that at the rear, close to the cylinder frame and avoid any clearance problems that would come from OM's ERH studs.

Thanks,
    Thomas

Tek
    Best thing may be to shout yourself a new drill press and start your holes with a centre drill - yhey will not walk.
    The new drill press will probably be cheaper than getting all the other stuff to use in the old press.

Cheers
    Do, or do not. There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Grand Master
    tek,

The problem I see with the jig in your link, is that it appears to be set up for drilling a dimple in the barrel for a setscrew to retain the center pin, not drill a straight hole to tap for sights. And there is nothing to help hold the dril inline.

The tool you want is the Forrester drill jig. The only problem is I think they run about $320.00 form Brownell's, and you still need a decent drill press.

With a good drill press with a working depth stop, you might get away with using a vee block and vise.

If you drill too far you have to shorten the barrel again.

Have you considered using a barrel band sight base?

Robert

Boolit Master

Midway USA & Brownells has these tools.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

The jig in the picture was made from a standard 2-piece shaft collar. The standard collar can be had for about $4. The price varies with size. All that was done to it, was mill a flat & drill a perpendicular hole. Than can be done on any Bridgeport with a vice in less than 10 minutes.

That jig should work fine for a 1-off. if you were going to use the same jig over & over again, then you would want to bore out a larger hole & use a drill bushing to avoid wear issues.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Buddy
    Learned this one the HARD WAY: Drilling and then tapping a "Blind Hole" in a barrel is a "_itch."

Before you start the tap, fill the hold with BEESWAX. That makes the tapping a heck of a lot easier. For one thing, as the beeswax comes out of the hole, it brings most of those pesky chips with it!

Try It, You Will Like It!