Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: .22 swage from .22 LR Cases

Boolit Mold

.22 swage from .22 LR Cases

I have been trying to find a fairly inexpensive set of dies to make plinker .22 bullets but have come up empty. I wish I knew where I could beg, borrow or steal a set for awhile. I bet i could make a set on my lathe and mill. Are there any die plans out there?
    Aloha, Mark

Boolit Master

Boolit Mold
    I am working on the same thing.
    I used a slightly modified Lee .224 sizing die and a longer thinner punch to derim the brass.
    I have tried different ways of filling with lead, from hot pouring to smashing in lead shot. So far, the lead shot works better. I need to come up with a cheap 45gr 20 cal bullet mold.
    I drilled out a 7/8 fine thread bolt and carved an ogive point in it. I made my bleed hole too big at 1/8" so I can't get a sharp point. I have been working on different tips to fill the generous hollow point.
    Mine are coming out at right around 55gr. I weigh out all the components and add shot to 55gr. Around 62gr will fill the case better. The way they come out, I have a slight boat tail.
    Have not got enough the same to work up a load and shoot yet, but they look pretty good so far.
    I have about $20 invested so far. I have used my lathe a bit to make various punches. I just use my Rock Chucker press.
    Good luck.

Boolit Buddy

here is my way of making .224 bullets.. i skip the point forming swage and used a hot mold to form the point.. i put a small ogive on the jacket with a easy made die made of steel. no hardending.. i use very little pressure to form the ogive so, no big deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkAU5ekbPLA

danr,

Did you make the mold?

Thanks
    Skip

Arguing with an Idiot makes you an idiot

My Grandpa