Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Best Large capacity mold for 38 cal cowboy bullets?

Boolit Bub

Best Large capacity mold for 38 cal cowboy bullets?

I need to start casting for 38 cal cowboy loads. Which mold produces the best bullet for reliability and accuracy using 38 special brass in a Marlin 1894C microgroove and Ruger Vaqueros? I am looking at the Lyman 358-477 and 358-665 4 cavity and the Lee 358-158-RF and 358-150-1R 6 cavity. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    If you ever wish to use BP then the Lee molds don't carry enough lube. A lot of the "GAMER" shooters use the 125gr. bullet but at times they will not take the KD's.The Lee 358-158 RF is made in a 6 cavity mold and will give you production . The Lyman 358665 is a fine bullet and will feed through your Marlin like butter. If you need some bullets to load before you get set up we have a forum member who sells and shoots SASS. Find Springfields web site which is Marks's Leather and he is one nice guy to deal with. RCBS makes a few very good molds for cowboy but they are only 2 cavity and you need at least two to up your production. I use the RCBS as I feel they are a better mold. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Buddy
    The Lee 125gr RF in 6 cav is my favorite. It works great in my Marlins, or Rugers.

Boolit Grand Master

The lee 358-158RF in a 6 cav. does the job well, shoots accurate in my weapons, and is good looking in a finished load!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Bob,

I shoot Rugers and Marlin and Rossi in .357. Look around for the Snakebite Greasewagon. They carry a lot of lube and are great for Cowboy stuff. See my site below. If you want to try 'em, I'll send you a couple handfuls. They fit in a .38 case, but the oal is .357. Designed for cranky Marlins, but work fine in all mentioned above.

P.S. I'm slow but I clean a lot of matches.

Goatlips

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

I use the Snakebite in my 357 and 38 cowboy guns and cut the OAL down just enough to chamber in Katie's 1894 CBC in 38. Works great.

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Hello neighbor. How close to Arthur are you?

Don't know how much history you have at casting.
    I've a few of those bullets you could try out and get some hands on comparison. Have the RCBS 158 rnfp, Lyman -477, Lee 125-rnfp then a couple magma bullets. 125 & 150 grain truncated cone.

For setting up at home casting, If it were me, I'd go with a six cavity lee mould. If you've never used a Lee and would like to try one out. Bring some lead over and you can give it a shot here. Don't have any four cavity Lyman's to compare with. Do have a four cavity NOE mould 358429 copy 170 grain SWC. Difference in production is pretty much those two extra bullets each cycle. Up until the pot runs out of lead.