MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do with zinc ingots?

Boolit Master
    Don't know about zinc vs mild steel, I'll wait for Sagacious to reply.
    I am saving my zinc WWs for future use.
    I ladle-cast with SS or enameled pots so it probably won't concern me, unless I hit the Lotto and buy an electric melter.
    Still interesting though.

I figure sooner or later lead will be as popular and easy to get as, say, plutonium.
    Between that time and the time that zinc is regulated out of existence I will learn to cast zinc boolits.

Quote Originally Posted by Munkeyjoe View Post
    Really?? why is that if I may ask? I think I have done it before but I am now having issues with my 4-20 Lee....... And this might be the answer!
    Munkeyjoe,
    Zinc will slowly dissolve ordinary carbon steel like water will dissolve a block of salt. The zinc does not need to melt the steel, in the same way that water does not need to melt salt to dissolve it. The zinc will erode and dissolve the steel, and if one melts much zinc in a mild steel pot, they will soon enounter this. It is for this reason that the LEE pots are not warranted for use with molten zinc.

If one is not expecting this to happen, the zinc will continue to eat away at the steel until..... one day..... a pinhole suddenly forms and there's a thin stream of molten zinc squirting out of the melting vessel. It's enough to get your attention real quick, and you'll remember it for a long time afterwards.

If you specify what the problems are with your LEE pot, I can comment on whether it's caused by zinc or not, and I or another can perhaps help remedy your LEE 4-20 pot problem.

Not to Hijack Here I will post in another place. I do thank you for your recommendations and interest.

And Silly Me.... I dont even know my own equipment, I have the Lee Production Pot IV NOT a 4-20.... I wish I had a pot that large!

Zinkers !!!

i think youd have to use string to tie it to your nylon, i wouldnt trust the sharp edges, there were a few with birth defects.. generally pretty succesful.

Boolit Master
    I zwear, that'll zink right to the bottom!