Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a companion revolver.

Boolit Buddy

Recommendations for a companion revolver.

Well, I've been thinking of getting myself a brace of revolvers to go along with my 2 Marlin 336 in 35 Rem.

I'm kinda torn between 44 mag or 45 long colt.

I already have 2 1894's in 38/357 and a bunch of 357's to choose from. I kinda prefer my 2 686's to go with them, though.

Any suggestions on caliber?

As far as to what guns, I prefer S&W, But I will consider single actions. I haven't dealt a lot with single actions especially in large calibers, so that is where I am at a disadvantage in knowledge.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    Think I'd look for an old school, nickeled, 4 inch model 29. Light enough to carry easy potent enough to deal with the unusual, should it raise it's ugly head.

Not nearly as popular as the "newer" stuff and or 6 inch guns so you might get a deal on one.

Now what would be the use?? range?,woods carry?,hunting? protection of some type?? With a lot of walking weight can be a real issue. Maybe you don't need full power 44 or 45 colt loads? Maybe you do. I was just out with my S&W Model 60 357 in a 3" barrel. For woods carry where real worries are few it sure is a nice gun. I also have a 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt that runs the gamut from light 45 colt & schofield loads to full power 'Ruger only' loads. This Redhawk is a little on the heavy side if you don't need the power though. A 4" mid weight 357 would do too, depending.

By "companion" piece, do you mean one that will be carried in the field simultaneously with the rifle? If so, I'd recommend a Ruger Single Six in either .22 or .32 H&R...

When out woods loafing, I like to mix my calibers. If I'm carrying a .22 rimfire rifle, the gun on my hip more than likely is a .44 of some kind. Conversely, if the rifle is a big one, a small rimfire handgun is the perfect companion.
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Boolit Master

For an odd ball .35 Rem caliber you need a brace of .41 Mag revolvers! Look at the Smith 57s or Ruger Blackhawks.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    Lipsey's has a new .357 Mountain Gun out (see Gunblast review). I have the .44 Mountain Gun and like it very much, I imagine the .357 would be nice too. Yes, it has the lock, but it doesn't bother me too much.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Bigger holes are always better.
    The .45 will do everything a .43 (real .44 diameter ) can plus everything a .43 cannot.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master
    Lotta sense in SR Custom's view. I'm an unabashedly enthusiastic fan of 32 caliber revolvers, so my prejudices might figure into the mix. More than a little!

One small revolver that has really impressed me lately has been on board for about a year and a half. It's a little Colt Police Positive x 4" in 38 S&W. Stoked with Lyman #358477, it shoots right to the sights at 25 yards when run to 725 FPS, and settles the hash of short-range varmints in no uncertain terms. I nailed a jackrabbit with it a couple mornings back, about 40 yards off the muzzle--BANG/flop. It has become my companion revolver with the 223 bolter or self-loader, and quite the "Kit Gun".

Both the 32 S&W Long and 38 S&W are very economical to run in terms of components cost. Same story for the 32 Magnum or 327 Federal, once cases are located.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

I am getting a bit "old in the tooth" for bird hunting in the hills of Eastern Ohio where I used to "hang out". However, I always carried a handgun with my o/u shotgun. I wore the handgun cross draw so I wouldn't mar the stock on the shotgun.

I used various revolvers. They were VERY handy for dispatching the odd cottontail (or in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan it would be snowshoe hares). One of my absolute favorites is the 3" Chief's Special Target. It is so compact and light that you hardly know it's there until needed. Surprisingly, while only a 3" barrel, the dbl underlugged barrel holds VERY well and I can shoot the combination well enough to "wow the locals":

I often used target wadcutters (my cast H&G #251 dbl ended w/c's). They worked very well on edible small game including the odd wounded grouse. My family MUCH preferred a rabbit with only one hole. It a grouse was knocked down with a broken wing, a head shot brought it to bag without further meat damage.

Like Al, I am a big fan of .32's. My S&W 631 in .32 Magnum was often used as a back up to the shotgun. I most often loaded .32 S&W Long cases with a target load (either a 100 gr SWC or a Hornady swaged HBWC worked VERY well on edible small game):

I have a S&W "Kit Gun" in .22 rimfire but MUCH prefer the centerfires for edible small game. .22 rimfires lack stopping power from a revolver. I have never had to shoot a small game animal twice with the .32's or .38's (or even the .44 Special which I have used a good deal). If you pick your shots there will be no meat damage (on rabbits, head shots if they are close and "through the slats" if they are at 25 yards or so).

Just a thought or two...

Dale53

Boolit Master

I’ll add a nickel’s worth here – unless you wear/carry ear protection give the muzzle report a little consideration. If the reason for carry is more for protection, then I subscribe to the bigger is better camp and like the 45 Colt in a small/light weight package – you’ll probably never have to use it, so the muzzle report isn’t a concern. If the revolver is just for “plinking” or shooting when you don’t want to use the rifle, then the 32 Mag/327 Fed with reduced loads or the 22LR will not damage your hearing as much in later years and for most, it’s not uncomfortable shooting. Touching off the big boys without plugs isn’t real smart or enjoyable.

This is a nice 25-2 converted to 45 Colt.
    Last edited by ole 5 hole group; 11-16-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Boolit Master
    Now Dale, if you pick your shots with a .22 as you say with a .32/.38/.44 you don't have any need for a second shot either. Also you haven't alerted everything within a mile that "MAN is HERE".

I shoot a Mark1 .22 darn near daily on groundhogs. When you "POP" them in the head they have this crazy habit of stopping right there! I figure they are in some sort of " There heaven" with a whole bunch of vestal virgins, maybe even 70 are more (babe groundhogs) so I figure it worked OK (the .22).

S.R. Cusom has it right! There is no way to argue with his analogy.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the GREAT replies, folks!

The concept is to have a rifle/handgun combination for protection when camping/packing in northern PA, New York, and points north. Nailing a rabbit for dinner once in a while would be nice.

I'm more concerned with the occasional coyote, coyote/wolf, and bear. Not as worried about two legged predators, but it needs to be capable. I guess that is why I'm thinking of a larger caliber revolver. Heck, I'm even considering, my 1911's!!(not really)

Now, I know that I am undergunned with the 35 Rem for the critters that are out west, but I'm not going there anytime soon. Besides, I've got other rifles to carry if I ever go out there.

I wonder if I should just go with a 357 mag, like my model 66's, and carry 158 gr 357 loads along with 125 grain 38 loads. Even some shot loads. Maybe even consider my 6 inch model 686's.

still considering....

The concept of carrying one heavy caliber and one small caliber is interesting.
    Last edited by housedad; 07-27-2010 at 05:14 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    BTW how is something like the 45LC with a light load on small game? Is there anything left to eat?

Boolit Grand Master

housedad;
    I have taken several cotton tails and snow shoe rabbits with a .44 Special. I only take head shots (if they are close) or "through the slats" if they are farther away (say 25 yards or so). My carry load for the .44 Special is Skeeter's load (250 gr Keith ahead of 7.5 grs of Unique for right at 950 fps). Of course, that is much heavier than need be for small game but can be quite useful for feral dogs, etc. It just makes a 3/4" hole straight through and you can eat the edges of the hole. Shot placement is everything. You do NOT want to shoot them through the shoulders (that's where half the good meat is).

I use the same shot placement whether I am using a .32 Keith bullet or a .44 Special. It all works just fine.

My results with .22 revolvers has not been satisfactory. If I use hollow points they can damage too much meat, if solid points, then a body shot will often result in a lost animal. I have had some decent results with flat pointing the solid bullets (with a Paco Kelly Accurizer Tool:

http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurzr.html

However, that is kind of a pain in the tuckus to use. On the other hand you only need a hand full for actual game use.

In general, tho', I much prefer the centerfires. Just a personal thing, I guess.

My grandfather was a farmer. He walked his farm nearly every day. He was jumped by a pack of feral dogs. These can be VERY dangerous. However, he had his Colt Banker's Special (a short barreled .22 Rimfire revolver with target sights on a Dectective Special frame). When he was finished, the pack was seriously diminished and they stayed clear of him after that.

However, I still subscribe to the idea that a centerfire revolver works best and my actual use of both has reinforced my preference.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    I would throw this at you, how about a 35 remington in a pistol (TC). Have it turned at the breach for a 303 or 30-40 rim diameter. I would bet money it wwill shot as good as any rifle.
    The one I have has had 120's-210's ran through it, PB and GC'd with good to excellent results. FYI, these barrels can be had for cheap as they have a bad rep for misfires because of the shoulder design.
    PM me if you are interested.
    jeff

Boolit Master

As to the small game with a large bore question, I can attest that a hard 200 H&G 68 (semi-wadcutter) at just over 1000 fps will poke a finger sized hole through small, light bodied game.

Like say, a cat. Like seventeen or eighteen of 'em.

Just sayin' . . .

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Banned

in not a big fan of the 357 but for a companion gun to a 35 rem what could be better. You can buy bullets in bulk and use them in the 357 and use the pistol bullets in the 35 too. Same goes with your cast bullets.

Boolit Master
    Small pistol primers was also the only primer available here on and off when this last shortage was upon us. And free WW are getting hard to find here. It was nice to have ..... options.

If you actually want a companion gun, then that means that it has to be with you. If that handgun weights 6.5 lbs and your rifle weights 6.5, then there is a good chance that your subconscious is going to allow you to forget it. Some companion.

I'd go either 22LR or 357. Lloyd's recommendation for bulk bullet use has merit as well. The 357 is economical compared to the larger diameters and still is an AT&T caliber if you have to reach out and touch something.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Grand Master

housedad

The concept is to have a rifle/handgun combination for protection when camping/packing in northern PA, New York, and points north. Nailing a rabbit for dinner once in a while would be nice.......I'm more concerned with the occasional coyote, coyote/wolf, and bear. Not as worried about two legged predators, but it needs to be capable. I guess that is why I'm thinking of a larger caliber revolver. Heck, I'm even considering, my 1911's!!(not really) Your criteria isn't much different than the need for personal protection anywhere with the exception of "bear". Thus the smaller cartridges up through .38 Special are somewhat ruled out. If you want something of .44 or .45 persuasion then I would suggest the .44. Yes the .45 can be loaded to pretty much equal the .44 in a suitable revolver but if traveling the availability of commercial ammo should be considered. Quality .44 Magnum ammo is going to be much more available than high end performance .45 ammo. That is why I have 3 .44 Magnum revolers and no heavy duty .45 revolver. It's nice to think we will always have our own reloads withus when traveling but it does not always work out that way, been there, done that and got the T shirt. Also, I wouldn't necessarily scoff at the idea of using the M1911 (carried a Colt Combat Commander many a times when afield in black bear country) or even factory .45 Colt loads but the word "bear" brings out those who think only a cannon will do. That's their opinion and I respect that but in this case you will be carrying a .35 Remington rifle and it should be your first option if confronting a bear.

Now, I know that I am undergunned with the 35 Rem for the critters that are out west, but I'm not going there anytime soon. Besides, I've got other rifles to carry if I ever go out there. I live about as far "West" as anyone on these lower 48. I have a .35 Remington and don't feel a bit undergunned with it. I lived and hunted (still do) in the land of open prarie, sage brush, big canyons and what is always considered a place where long range shooting is the norm. It is not. I have killed many deer, elk and a couple bear "out West" and probably 99% of them were under 200 yards with most under 100 yards. With rare exception I could have killed them all with my M94 30-30 instead of the other higher end bolt action rifles used. Actually I did kill quite a few deer, several hogs and a couple elk on license with the M94 30-30. Within the last several years I've taken to the .35 Rem with the RCBS 35-200-FN cast of 50/50 WW/lead at 2150 fps as an excellent and deadly cartridge out to at least 200 yard for deer and elk and probably black bears. I in no way feel under gunned. I simply adjust my hunting style to fit within it's parmeters.

I wonder if I should just go with a 357 mag, like my model 66's, and carry 158 gr 357 loads along with 125 grain 38 loads. Even some shot loads. Maybe even consider my 6 inch model 686's. I would not hesitate to consider the .357 in your M686. There is nothing wrong with it for your needs. I often carry a Ruger Security Six with 6" barrel as my back up or trail gun. I've actually had more worry about the 2 legged miscreatns in the woods than with black bears. The DA .357 revolver is quite capable of detering either. It also is excellent for the "occasional rabbit" with mild .38 Special WC loads.

All are my opinions based on my experiences and choices. Others vary. You must make your own choice based on your needs and abilities in whatever circumstance you may find yourself. Keep that in mind.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 07-28-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    This is funny to me!

One wants a "companion" sidearm to the rifle he is carrying evidently in terrain/area of state he is familiar with. So some of you guys want him to carry a rifle that is of adequate caliber for his hunting and for the backup a revolver that is capable of the same persuasion!
    Well if a nasty bear appears do you shoot him with the rifle you're hunting with, or the handgun, big decision here!

Witch one would you guys use?

Then there is the other scenario, you can shoot a rabbit/squirrel in the head with a 32 (Great caliber) and it will kill better than a .22 fp through the head ! A head shot with penetration will stop any small animal dam near in its tracks unless it's "skidding" from instant death! We're talking, Rabbits,squirrels,groundhogs,all foul, including fox (yes, I have with .22).
    I wouldn't want to shoot a "Big" coyote/wolf are larger game with the .22 ( pistol )thats just me) but thousands have been killed with the .22. A lot of cougar hunters swear by the 22 auto pistols and of course they use head shots when they are treed if possible!

Now we come to recoil, if you can shoot a center fire revolver/pistol better than a good .22, "Hats Off", and if you don't think the noise make a difference, thats fine "for you".
    OH, almost forgot, ,22's do more damage than CF, quit smoking that stuff dude, it's starting to screw up your mind, LOLAL!

I could go on and on about bullet weights/ revolver weights, whatever.

Bottom line I have done this all my life! Dam, just stop an think!!
    Last edited by Changeling; 07-28-2010 at 05:11 PM.