Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Initial Results with Groove Diameter PP

Initial Results with Groove Diameter PP

I loaded 16 rounds of PP this morning for my C. Sharps 50 2 1/2 and shot this target this afternoon. Load was 114 grs. Swiss 1F with a KAL PP bullet weighing in at 690 grs. cast at 1-16 alloy. WLR primer and fired BELL brass. Naked bullet OD=.494", wrapped OD=.512" and COAL adjusted to put front of patch against lands. PC=.177" w/one .060" Walters wad atop powder, no lube cookie! Wiped with two damp patches of NAPA WSO at 1-7 oil/water. I used regular bond paper (copy type) to wrap these rounds with and I don't like it! It is too soft and has a tendency for the surface area to peel off when wrapping but it appears to have been OK for this test.

Did not have a zero for this load so at beginning of string I picked a clod out on the backstop and with a good break the impact was a good 16" high. Made a correction and put a shot at the top of the target paper...another correction and I fired 3 shots on the target low! Having my head up my ****...I had forgotten to tighten the eye-piece on the Hoke rear tang and after talking a bit to myself and tightening the eyepiece I fired 11 shots into the group you see here.

There are 11 shots in the 10 ring! I called the one at the top of the 10 ring. Because Montana Charlie has been testing at 100 yards this was fired from 100 also! I don't normally test initially except from 200 yards but for comparison purposes...I used Charlies' distance!

Did not get a chance this afternoon to shoot the .45 2 7/8. Hopefully I can get that done tomorrow to see how the modification is going to perform!
    Last edited by RMulhern; 07-20-2010 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Error!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

In Remembrance
    Okay, you have shown (yourself) that the method is accurate.
    How does that load (powder charge) compare to the same round when patched to bore and seated out?

And, any leading? You said you expected to be mining...

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Okay, you have shown (yourself) that the method is accurate.
    How does that load (powder charge) compare to the same round when patched to bore and seated out?

And, any leading? You said you expected to be mining...

CM
    CM

It's the same charge I used for bore diameter; only compressed deeper and no lube cookie!

If there had been 'leading'....I wouldn't have fired that group! Most hit or cut the X ring...and it's small! I had 5 or 6 pass throughs. I did have 2 half moon paper rings! I used the same naked bullet for this as I do for bore diameter which requires the thicker paper! Maybe I'll get 'the other Rick' to make me a larger bullet!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post
    I did have 2 half moon paper rings! I used the same naked bullet for this as I do for bore diameter which requires the thicker paper!
    Maybe those cases were a bit short, and maybe the half-moon rings are a result of wapping your 'tiny' bullet in a full page of the Sunday comics.
    Maybe I'll get 'the other Rick' to make me a larger bullet!
    I bet he can manage that...

Take the amount of diameter increase you get with your favorite paper, and use that to figure the naked bullet you want.
    If you get an increase of (say) eight thousandths, subtract eight thousandths from .512".

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 07-21-2010 at 01:51 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.