RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best case trimmer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    ......."Who makes the best pick-up trucks and best golf bats?"
    You use a bat too eh.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm a fan of Easton softball clubs and Forster case trimmers.

Older RCBS trimmers used a draw collet that caused length variations. The Forsters use a stop collet that really minimized the length variations over the RCBS it replaced.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Nope.
    Tapping the case into the holder just gives you something to hold on to...and locks the case in a position where it is exactly in line with the cutter.

The length is determined by an adjustment screw on the end of the frame.
    Placing the case head against that stop ensures the cutter can only cut so deep into the mouth.
    That way, the case length is the distance from the surface of the case head to the mouth. Variations in rim thickness can't cause some cases to be longer or shorter...which is the situation with most other trimmers.

I am picky about length, but anal about a squarely cut mouth. That is where the Wilson really shines over pilot-type trimmers.
    If a case mouth is not tight on the pilot, there will be some degree of misalignment. When the fit is that tight, lubrication is needed to prevent galling...and neck ID must be rigidly controlled prior to trimming.

With the Wilson, the case holder assures alignment with no special attention on the part of the operator.

CM
    Thank You Charlie. I think I will order one but I have to figure out how to mount the darn thing lol. It says to use a vise which I think is odd I mean how many people have a vise on there reloading bench lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

Talking

A picture says a thousand words.
    Last edited by Doc Highwall; 02-16-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    A picture says a thousand words.
    It sure does Doc and I have to say you have a fancy one there.

But Thank You for the pic now I see how it works.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

Jester, the picture that Doc provided is a Sinclair base for the Wilson but will work with a C-H also, since the 2 are almost the same. I have one myself and can heartily recommend them. There are 2 versions; one with a micrometer adjustment and one with a simple screw adjustment. I have the simple one and I like it. James

Thank You James for the info.

One vote for Wilson,

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    I have to figure out how to mount the darn thing lol. It says to use a vise which I think is odd I mean how many people have a vise on there reloading bench lol.
    I made a mount for mine, and it wasn't tough to do.

I cut two lengths of 2-inch angle iron 5 1/2 inches long. Then I laid them together to make a shape like 4-inch channel iron.
    I welded the seam where they met, and painted the assembly.
    (You could simply use 4-inch channel iron if you can find some light gauge stuff.)

Two holes drilled in one two-inch wide section mounts it to the bench, and two carefully spaced holes in the 'top' to screw the Wilson to. You will need to disassemble the Wilson to set it in position, and you will need longer screws than the two that come with it. Just make sure they are not too long.

You will understand about that screw length when you see the Wilson...and how it goes together.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 07-16-2010 at 11:57 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

In Remebrance

I'm not a benchrest shooter by any means. The utility and versatility of the Forster pleases me greatly. I haven't found any issues with out of square mouths...yet. I like the Wilson style, but the Forster works fine for me.

Boolit Master
    "You use a bat too eh. "

I batted a golf once. Didn't see the attraction of it and went back to the rifle range.

Boolit Master

Talking

The Sinclair International web site has nice pictures of the products they sell check them out.

I have (and occasionally still use) a Wilson, but I recommend the Giraud. I hate trimming and I think I've tried most trimmers in an effort to minimize the time I spend trimming, but I also want 'perfect' results. The Wilson does that, but it's slow. The Gracey does it, and it's a bit faster. The Giraud does it, and it's fast.

GsT

For the $425.00 price tag on the Giraud case trimer they should be gold lol.

Nice trimmer but I do not do that many at a time and really can not see spending that much on a trimmer. But thank you for the info.

Boolit Master
    I have used a number of case trimmers. Wilson, C&H, Forster, Redding etc. I don't really like any of them. What I do like are file trim dies. Simple, no fussy adjustments, repeatable, consistent. Just screw the die into the press to hit the shellholder, then file off whatever sticks out the top of the trim die.

I also think the file to trim dies work well but at times people may need to trim there case either longer or shorter. That is where I feel the adjustable trimmers shine.

I started looking for a trimmer as I am going to be loading for the 35 Whelen and use necked up 30-06 brass or 270 win brass. When I use the 30-06 brass they are shorter than max for the 35 whelen. So I hope I can take the shortest case of the lot and trim all of the others to that length and so forth.

I use a drill press, a Forster power case trimming kit (made for drill presses), set up a dial indicator as a reference stop and the adjustable stop that's on the drill press as a hard stop. I used to use Forster Classic for trimming now I use it to neck turn all of my .17's.
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

Boolit Buddy
    Betcha JMorris could build a Giraud-type for $100 or less.

Paul

Boolit Master
    Has anybody used the possum hollow trimmers?
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by pjh421 View Post
    Betcha JMorris could build a Giraud-type for $100 or less.

Paul
    Betcha he couldn't. I built something like one for a special project and you'll end up with more than $100 just in bearings, motor, and hardware. (Not even starting on material and machining).

GsT