Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MCD ProductsMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox

Thread: 300 Whisper Crimp?

300 Whisper Crimp?

All the cartridges I load for I have a crimp die so when I flare the case mouth, it gets crimped back down. I want to load boolits for my 300 Whisper, what can I use to crimp? I have 30 Carbine, 7.62x39mm, and 308 crimp dies. Will the seating die crimp enough if adjusted correctly?

Boolit Master
    I shortened a Lee 300 Savage factory crimp die and it works well.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

What weapon are you shooting the Whisper in ??
    Do you want to actually crimp the case to the bullet, and which bullet are you useing ??
    OR are you just trying to get rid of the "flair" ??
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

I am simply trying to close up the flare after seating the boolit. I am shooting an AR15 and or a Savage single shot bolt gun. the cast will be primarily for the Savage.

Boolit Master
    depends on the chamber case length and the die case length. some are spec'd for 1.40" some are the 1.355" Best bet is to get your self a lee factor crimp die in ,30 carbine and use a couple 1/2" washer on top of the shell holder to get it to drimp at the right place.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Grand Master

Your die set should have a crimp feature in the seater die. I also shoot a 300 Whisper and I take the extra time to seat the bullets then readjust the die to crimp just enough to straighten out the flare.
    If I seat and crimp at the same time, like with jacketed bullets ,sometimes the cast bullet will have a little lead scraped off. Not a good thing.

On most of my military guns that I load cast in I use the Lyman "M" die and leave the "flare" as the m die expands the mouth to form a shelf for the bullet and I feel this helps center the case in the normally generous military chambers.

Are you actually belling your case mouth? I load .300 Whisper with a Redding die set and there's no flare to speak of. The seating die provides all the (taper) crimp I need.

GsT

Boolit Buddy
    i know this is an old thread but i flare w/ the universal flare die and the regular seating die closes that flare very well or i can also roll crimp if adjusted for it. I tried the Lee fcd for the 7.62x35/300Whisper/300BLK but stopped using it on the lead bullets b/c i believe it was one factor that caused bbl leading

Boolit Master

I use a shortned lee taper crimp die for the 7.62 x 39 for taper crimping/removing the bell/flair on the case mouth for my 30/20 for my SS pistol.