RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: 41 rem mag help

MICHIGAN,but rather be in alaska,or montanna

41 rem mag help

hi guys,
    i need your imput on a problem i have. i have a ruger superblkhawk bisley hunter in 41 rem mag, with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. i bought this gun new,unused, when i bought it, the cylinder diam. were all differant , i took this gun to a certified sass gunsmith were i asked for the cylinder to be opened to
    .411 i have many 41 rem mag molds,some of witch are from veral from lbt molds,some of witch are from nei molds, these cast some impressive wfn,and lfn ranging from 250 grain gas ck -300 grain gas ck double crimp rings, with these impressive molds i have casted bullets that require the cylinder throats to be opened, so i took to this guy to have done, and paid him, he told me he opened the cylinder throats to .411,,,, well no surprise he lied,i have 4 of them at .410 and 2 of them at .411 how do i know ? i bought a set of machinest pin gauge sets, and ck them. the .411 pin gauge will not go through the .410 holes,and did go through nicley through the .411 holes. as now, i dont trust any gunsmith to touch my guns, id like to know how i can open these myself, safely and accurately. i have to laths, so doing by hand is the only option. these are close,and not much is required to make them all true. is a reamer,or adjt. reamer the way i need to go? or honing the answer,,im thinking honing. trouble is im not sure how to and keep the holes true. any help,advice is sooooooo greatful,and needed. THANK YOU KINDLY.

Boolit Bub
    it depends on how many undersized revolvers you have. If you plan on only one then send it to cylindersmith who will do it for 30 dollars plus shipping
    I sent him my blackhawk 45 colt. Throats were .450. I had it reamed out to .4525.
    Dropped my group size in half.

plan on doing a lot more than a few then getting your own reamer is the way to go.
    There is a thread on the ruger forum where one guy bought the reamer used it on a couple of 45's then sold it to the next guy for the same price. The second guy did the same and after doing his guns sold the reamer to a third. I don't know how many have used the same reamer, but there are now 12 pages to the thread!!!! Most of these guys are not mechanics.
    Buckbeans

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I have done all my revolvers and they shoot fine.
    I have at least 9 41 mags so I bought a .411 reamer some years ago. I t is not hard if you are willing to go slow and think before you start cutting. As you already have the pin guages you have paid half the price.
    I ream from the case end forward. I wrap the reamer shank area with masking tape so the following part of the reamer stays centered in the cylinder hole. I use a 6" tap handle in the reamer. The cylinder is removed from the revolver. A drill press can be used to keep everthing square. I mount the cylinder in a machine vise with protected jaws. A bit of cutting oil and just a few turns with the handle kept centerd by the drill press it is done.
    Check it with the pin guage and move on to the next. Once you get practiced and have it set up you can do a cylinder in 30 minutes.
    Rugers are terrible sometimes. I have had from .4085 up to .410+ on the same revolver. My older Blackhawks were pretty good. My Dan wesson was near perfect (1980 vintage). My Taurus 2" SS and S&W were in need of some adjusting. My Tracker Titanium was near perfect. So there is no Good Factory Production .
    But that is what I do.. BUT if it was gonna be just one I would send it the the Cylinder Smith. His work is NICE !
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

whitetailsniper -

Do you understand the limitations of pin gauges? There are some wrinkles involved with interpreting the data based on whether you have a plus or minus gauge set. I'll be glad to share what I know if you're interested. You might not be as bad off as you may think.

Have you shot your gun yet? Will the loads you plan to shoot go in to all six chambers?