Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about HP Boolits

Boolit Master
    Ooops alloy was 25-1 the fps was 950 in my Sig 45 acp Distance 7 yrds Bullet weight pre 200 g post 198g( Milk jug with water)

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    Ooops alloy was 25-1 the fps was 950 in my Sig 45 acp Distance 7 yrds Bullet weight pre 200 g post 198g( Milk jug with water)
    Ya gotta love 25-1 alloy for LHP.

Moderator Emeritus

I dont have a concern about over penetration as my nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. For awhile I ran the softest boolit that would preform accuratly ( this coming behind my "run everything as fast as you can" period).

What I find now is if I run a moderatly soft boolit (say 14/16 bhn for 1200fps loads) at a moderat speed, I can spend more time enjoying shooting.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
    What does "as close to bore as you can get" mean?
    It means he wants the flat point (meplat) to be as near bore diameter as he can get. Almost like a full wadcutter. Makes a big hole and displaces much tissue.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Quote Originally Posted by mpmarty View Post
    My 45/70 Ranch Dog boolits don't expand in game but they don't contract either. Nice half inch hole and two holes to bleed out through. Just be careful there isn't another deer hiding behind the one you shoot. Don't ask how I know
    I did a 2 for 1 last year with a 30/30 RCBS 180 FN, so I know how you did it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Self or home protection is where you do not want over penetration.
    A fellow on another site said he keeps a Freedom .475 under his pillow and I told him I am glad I don't live in his neighborhood.
    haha, I laughed out loud when I read that one.

Some velocities with the right boolit needs no expansion but if you start to use different speeds you just need to tailor the boolit alloy for it.
    Could you elaborate a bit? You mean at, say, 1800fps non expanding FN is OK, but when going slower, go softer-nosed?

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorfan View Post
    Now this makes a lot of sense. Just hunt with a full wadcutter, no matter what. That's what "everybody" is saying, right? C'mon, we're better than advice like this, I think.
    I think something like this is more of the idea: Gates Extreme Meplat Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Ya gotta love 25-1 alloy for LHP.
    I need to look into how well 25-1 performs at ~1100fps for 9mm. Not sure how well, which why I'm eying the 2-part route for non-plinking loads. gon2shoot, what's your alloy? 50/50 aircooled or waterdropped? Also, what calibers are you referring to?

Thanks guys.

Banned

[QUOTE=Dannix;943894]haha, I laughed out loud when I read that one.

Could you elaborate a bit? You mean at, say, 1800fps non expanding FN is OK, but when going slower, go softer-nosed?

I do all of my hunting with revolvers after bow season. I found if you shoot too slow you should have a tiny bit of expansion if the boolit weight is enough for penetration. There is a lack of energy so cutting a larger hole seems to work better.
    As you get between 1200 and 1400 fps with a heavy boolit and large meplat, you need no expansion at all.
    Using this hard boolit too fast and it just pokes holes in deer with little internal damage and they go a long way, some will be lost. Once too fast it needs expansion again to slow it in the animal but you need to regulate it according to the animal hunted. Over expansion is as bad as none.
    I shoot a lot of deer with hard 300 to 335 gr boolits from my .45 Vaquero at 1160 fps and it takes them longer to die on the average, sort of like an arrow. But they work.
    As soon as I get to around 1350 fps with the .44, .475, then things change and deer are down quick with massive blood trails. Most just go 30 yards or less. Deer hit with the .475 do not know where they are at and if they run, they smash into trees and bushes, never running a trail.
    The same boolits from the 45-70 at 1632 fps will just poke a small hole through with almost no blood on the ground so the boolit needs to be softer. I feel the meplat creates a pressure wave in front that moves tissue out of the way because lungs are almost intact except for a hole.
    Since I do not use a rifle, I can't tell you what 1800 fps will do with hard boolits or pointier boolits. I also do not hunt large animals.
    I have become a believer in "dwell" time in a deer and do not believe in muzzle energy figures at all. You just need to make the boolit do the work but it is, after all, the hardest part of hunting.
    Hunting bullets of any kind have been a problem for hundreds of years.
    It is so strange that a pure round ball from a cap and ball revolver will put deer on the ground RIGHT NOW. So how can anyone equate that to energy? They also penetrate the entire deer, side to side. Now my Vaquero would do the same with pure lead but accuracy and leading rule out soft boolits plus I can kill deer 4X farther with it.
    Tests on soaked phone books shows a Remington 240 gr will have nice expansion and penetrate 11" shot from the .44. The 265 gr RD hard cast will do 33" yet kills deer better then the jacketed soft point.
    The 420 gr WFN from the .475 does 37" yet works like lightning on deer. This is because the velocity range is correct for the boolits.
    You need to shoot enough animals and do a necropsy on each, then adjust your boolit to do the job every time.
    It is hard to beat BP and a big, dead soft ball or boolit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannix View Post
    I need to look into how well 25-1 performs at ~1100fps for 9mm. Not sure how well, which why I'm eying the 2-part route for non-plinking loads. gon2shoot, what's your alloy? 50/50 aircooled or waterdropped? Also, what calibers are you referring to?

Thanks guys.
    I've even run 25-1 to 1200fps+ in 357sig & 44mag, still good accuracy & expansion & no serious signs of leading.

Boolit Master
    Using this hard boolit too fast and it just pokes holes in deer with little internal damage ... The same boolits from the 45-70 at 1632 fps will just poke a small hole through with almost no blood on the ground so the boolit needs to be softer. ... I have become a believer in "dwell" time in a deer
    Ah yes. I remember someone, perhaps on the Gates Extreme Metplate sticky, talking about using a HP just as a way to slow the boolit down for more dwell time.

Thanks for the post fredj338. I'll have to give 25-1 a go.

I feel very much like a child gleaning wisdom from the wise. Thanks for all the comments.