MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best handgun to Shoot your Chronograph With

Boolit Buddy

Best handgun to Shoot your Chronograph With

Two weeks ago I had the pleaure of shooting my chronograph- twice. A shooting friend gave me one of NAA's micro .22LR revolvers to pull down some velocity figures. Having never fired one of those micro-guns, I didn't know that such a short sight radius means big variations on point-of-impact. I loaded four rounds (I don't know why four)- Lapua 22LR standard target rounds. The first round- 560fps. Second round- no reading. Third round- 227fps. Fourth round-544fps. After the third round I noticed that the chrony wobbled a bit- and the 227fps reading was bizarre.

Long story short, rounds two and three hit the protective plate that guards the first light meter on the chrony- giving the plate two significant dents. The third round (or a piece of it) somehow came off the plate at such an angle as to actually proceed over both light meters- giving the 227fps reading. On the way through it bent one of the front skyscreen posts a bit.

The chronograph now works flawlessly. It's the same Shooting Chrony Beta that I'd complained about earlier. I'm assuming this is how many of us adjust our chronographs- the question is, what's your favorite gun and load to shoot your chronograph with?
    NOI- it's what's for dinner

I really need to build a heavy iron box with an angled front to protect mine. I know its coming......

A 180 grain .44 Special at ~1000 fps, right through the center of the front panel of a Chrony will make it very difficult to read the display.
    Glen

Boolit Master
    water pistol, maybe a rubberband gun
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I clipped one of the supports on my son in laws yesterday with my 357. Probably adequate!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    Well I hit a guide rod one time with a 300 grain XTP Hornady with over 30 grains of 296 out of a 454 Casull and it exibited fine terminal performance and would highly recommend this combination for such activities.
    Believe it or not the chrono survived, to be taken out by a gust of wind a couple of years later.

Banned

my chrony is all safe & sound tucked away in storage, no chance of it getting shot!

Banned
    BLTsandwedge said
    The third round (or a piece of it) somehow came off the plate at such an angle as to actually proceed over both light meters- giving the 227fps reading. On the way through it bent one of the front skyscreen posts a bit.
    When you sell it you can say it's an ombda shooter. Ombda = One Minute of Barn Door Angle.

Boolit Buddy

i find that a 10mm 200 gr XTP will slay the chrony very well..

750 grain FMJBT out of a M107 takes care of them real good.

Of course it is not a hand gun.
    Last edited by Longrange; 07-09-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    A cast Lee 100 grain RN launched at 1350 FPS from a CZ-52 does stellar work on downrange-box-on-camera-tripod chronographs. DRT.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I've now hit my Pac Chrony 5 times with my Model 686, 627, 10, 29 and I let three friends borrow it and they hit it with .45s,.38supers and a couple of 9mms. There have been a lot of plastic parts flown off of it lots of dings and dents but it hasn't died yet.

I tell my friends they can shoot it but if they hit it it will cost them $30, that's the cost of repair. I now have a Chrony Beta for backup.
    Go ahead and run. You will only die tired

Boolit Buddy
    The blast from a 500 Boswell ten feet away does really well. Hasn't worked since.

Banned

i put down the ageing ohler screensof my buddys with a 475 linebaugh and it made a very clean kill. Complete penetration and quick knock down.

Never got one with a pistol, the only one I've killed was with my 300WBY. Saddly it wasn't even my crony was a friends that instisted I needed to crony my rounds that I was loading. Needless to say 15 or so rounds into the testing session I got it dead middle. That one shot cost me 2 cronys, I replaced his and bought me one.
    I've never killed one since.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

I killed my first one with a .380. Second one has survived a factory .303, ripped the chrony from the tripod mount and sent it end for end but it survived. I believe the soft aluminum block and the give in the 1/8" base absorbed alot of the hit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008_0130block0001.jpg   2008_0130block0004.jpg  

Boolit Master
    A 38 super will punch a nice hole in the black plastic housing that holds the sensors of a Pact unit. My freind did that for me, his very first shot over a chronograph.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Buddy
    So it's obvious to me that I just don't have enough heart and/or fortitude to do the job right. I've just gotta pump myself up an' git 'er done. I can't match Long Range's BMG but by the other posts it seems I can get something accomplished with the 629, a 429421 and a handful of 296. I'll give 'er a whirl this weekend.

Thanks gents......
    NOI- it's what's for dinner

Banned
    Is it just me or do some of you have a complete and total inability to shoot a group while using a chrony? For the life of me I cannot shoot a group with the chrony between me and the target.

A few years back I winged my ol mans chrony with my 357max and just folded one of the tin lips in.....whew. He gave me a little lecture on what I did to his stuff and we carried on shooting.

A week or so later I clipped a sky screen support with his 32/20, 32H&R mag Buckeye blackhawk.........same speech was given.

A month or so later he hit it dead nuts center with a 30 herret and it was DRT. All I did was repeat his his words to me and he got mad........no sense of humor I guess.

He now has one of them remote beta units......I now let him do all the over the chrony shots..........I lack the ability to be comfy with a chrony apparently. I just work up my loads according to groups.........and when I am happy I go over to his house and let him find out where I ended up. Saves me money and he feels like he is serving a purpose....win/win system.

Banned

had to chuckle. Im the same way. I cant shoot groups over a chronograph either. i think its because im to worried about hitting the screens.
    Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    Is it just me or do some of you have a complete and total inability to shoot a group while using a chrony? For the life of me I cannot shoot a group with the chrony between me and the target.

A few years back I winged my ol mans chrony with my 357max and just folded one of the tin lips in.....whew. He gave me a little lecture on what I did to his stuff and we carried on shooting.

A week or so later I clipped a sky screen support with his 32/20, 32H&R mag Buckeye blackhawk.........same speech was given.

A month or so later he hit it dead nuts center with a 30 herret and it was DRT. All I did was repeat his his words to me and he got mad........no sense of humor I guess.

He now has one of them remote beta units......I now let him do all the over the chrony shots..........I lack the ability to be comfy with a chrony apparently. I just work up my loads according to groups.........and when I am happy I go over to his house and let him find out where I ended up. Saves me money and he feels like he is serving a purpose....win/win system.