RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lyman 17 globe sight?

Boolit Master

Exclamation Lyman 17 globe sight?

I wanted to spin off of the Goex vs Swiss thread.
    I have four inserts with the circle for my front sight if I'm trying to clear up a problem with seeing the front sight or if you are up in age what insert is best to start a baseline? .070, .093, .110 or .120
    Hope this makes sense.

Boz, You are dead on the thicker annulus
    So thicker annulus means smaller hole?
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    This is my favorite type of recticle. There's 3 different hole sizes in this type and you can change to the hole size that lets in better light around the target.
    Lee Shaver makes them and are sold thru Buffalo Arms.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

I don't have that one for my Lyman globes but do have it with my spare Pedersoli globe sight.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Master

Just curious when removing and replacing the front sight do you drift left to right or right to left as viewed looking down the barrel fron the butt end?

Out to the right.

Boolit Master

Exclamation

Thanks Don, I just put the front sight that came with the rifle back on, I want to shoot it as it came from the factory.
    As a Silhouette rifle. Want to satisfy myself it will shoot to POI.
    I bought it used but the previous owner had swapped the front sights out but never shot it much 3 rounds I'm told. I did get a nice package of sights with the rifle.

Eyes are different but I like a wider area at the annulus than the ring that Don posted! In event of bright sunlight on the face of a target....the wider area will block out the glare much better than a narrow ring!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Master

Distant Thunder makes the rings with the thicker annulus IIRC. I have trouble with those real thin rings like Don showed just disappearing. But then I think that Don can still see. I'm 64 and my sight has really gone south in the last 3 years.
    Personally the thicker annulus with lots of light around the target works best for me. Some of the guys that I shoot with think I'm crazy but everyone is different. I use a scope for silly wets now and really hated changing over, but it is a lot more fun occasionally hearing a ring.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I prefer a thicker ring, and find that a larger aperture in the front is more forgiving in varying light. Likewise, I think the Lyman 17A and Winchester style front sights are OK, but sights using larger diameter inserts are advantageous for those with aging eyes. I've shot BPCRS since 1993 or so, and used numerous front sights and inserts depending upon range and light conditions.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    If Don can see with the sight shown then I am very happy for him. I need one that has about three times the size shown. In fact the one that I use is the largest stock one . The next step will be having one made.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

There's NOTHING WRONG with a large front aperture ring! Most novices think that the best front aperture to use is one which closes down tight around the bull; nothing could be farther from the truth!! The 'brain' cannot pick up an error in proper alignment with that method nearly as well as it can by using a larger aperture! Proper sizing is one in which gives the shooter a view of at least 2/3 more area of white around the bull than the area that the bull occupies!! I shot NRA HP for dang nigh onto 50 years and for offhand and the sustained fire events (200 & 300 yards) I used a 3.8MM front aperture and I shot many 'cleans' using that size aperture!! When extremely dark conditions persisted I used a 4.0MM!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Master
    I prefer a larger aperture for exactly the reason Mr. Mulhern states. Also I found that the Lee Shaver/Lyman inserts have a ring that is too thin. I "borrowed" an idea I read somewhere (I think a Mike Venturino article) and put two inserts of slightly different sizes into the front sight. That thickens up the ring, but still gives you the right sized aperture. It works a lot better for me.

Chris.

In Remembrance
    My front sight was made by Smith's Enterprise, but they are no longer making product for the civilian market. In order to send me the correct inserts for my sight, Track Of The Wolf started manufacturing the same pattern that Smith was formerly making...or so I believe because the current production does not carry Smith's name or logo.

They also fit Pedersoli globes, and probably other 'Sharps' style globe sights.
    The same inserts are included with the globe sights sold by C. Sharps Arms, but the ones CSA has in stock were probably made by Smith's.

They include a set of six lollipops with increasing aperture sizes and heavy annuli.
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego...S-SE-SL-INSERT

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 06-07-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by excess650 View Post
    I prefer a thicker ring, and find that a larger aperture in the front is more forgiving in varying light. Likewise, I think the Lyman 17A and Winchester style front sights are OK, but sights using larger diameter inserts are advantageous for those with aging eyes. I've shot BPCRS since 1993 or so, and used numerous front sights and inserts depending upon range and light conditions.
    I really like the Parker Hale tunnels they must be 7/8". I have one on a Martini 22, but the inserts are pretty limited as far as getting replacements.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

Talking

Listen to what RMulhern says and you will shoot better. Remember it is not what we like best but what we shoot the best with. A millimeter is .03937". I did a test under controlled conditions for front sight apertures to see what I shot the best with and I found that under ideal conditions I shoot the best with 3 minutes of white around the target and open it up as it gets darker. Your sight radius will affect the size of your aperture.

I think it depends alot on the size and shape of the target, the color it's painted and how far away it is.
    If you try and shoot the offhand coyote at Alliance with that big hole up front, your off hand score is going to suffer, conversely if it gets dark and rainy and you're in the 3rd relay on the 900 circle or the 1000 rect. that small aperature is going to bite you.
    That's why it's important to carry a good variety of front apps, because it's unlikely just one is going to get you thru an entire match save for a fairly steady yardage setup like a creedmoor.
    The biggest thing I do like about type of aperature I pictured here is the ability to "shade" for the wind or mirage and still be able to use the stadia wires to stay centered of the bull.

Dons aperature is what I used to use til it dissapeared in the light ,, and another prob that cropped up with me is if the insert is to thick the whole target area blurs out , I then went to an open cross hair and broke off the top blade. I posted on the other thread about the glasses trick , ...Dean
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."