Lee Precision

Thread: Explosion, Fire Rock Bend's Nosler Bullets Plant

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

All Workers Evacuated; No Immediate Reports of Serious Injuries

By Adam Aaro, KTVZ.COM
    POSTED: 2:33 pm PDT June 2, 2010

UPDATED: 3:54 pm PDT June 2, 2010

Evan Gonzalez
    Initial reports indicated all were evacuated from SW Bend Nosler bullets facility.
    NOSLER PLANT EXPLOSION, FIRE
    Story: Explosion, Fire Rock Bend's Nosler Bullets Plant
    Video: Explosion, Fire hit Bend's Nosler Bullets Plant
    Slideshow: Images of Bend Nosler Blast Scene
    BEND, Ore. -- An explosion and fire rocked a portion of the Nosler Inc. bullet manufacturing plant in southwest Bend Wednesday afternoon, prompting evacuation and closure of streets in the area; despite a blast felt for several blocks, all 100 workers apparently were accounted for.
    The fire was reported initially as a smoke report shortly after 2 p.m. at the facility at 107 SW Columbia St., which was evacuated. By 2:15 p.m., there were reports that an explosion had destroyed part of the building. But by 3 p.m., reports from the scene were that all workers on scene at the time of the blast had been accounted for.
    A company spokesman said he was told that around 2 p.m., work was under way in the ballistics tunnel, a testing area for ammunition, when there was a flash, followed moments later by a massive explosion.
    Fire crews were reporting no flames visible and that all were out of the plant, though one person reportedly suffered smoke inhalation and a thorough search was planned, to be sure all got out.
    Bend Fire did a personnel callback to ensure adequate staffing and called in Redmond Fire for mutual aid to cover a station with an ambulance.
    About 100 people work in the Nosler facility, a company founded in the late 1940s by John Nosler. Witnesses said there was a flash in the ballistics-testing tunnel area of the facility, and everybody apparently got out before the blast hit.
    One nearby resident described the blast as like "feeling a bomb inside your house." After her house shook violently, she looked out to see a huge plume of orange smoke that she couldn't see through.
    Barb Gonzalez at first thought it was an earthquake, when her house was jolted by the blast. "This one felt like a 5.5 (magnitude) jolt, said the survivor of the 1994 Northridge quake. Her second thought was an explosion.
    Bend Fire called in a special operations team to go through the rubble, which apparently buried at least one evacuated worker's car in debris.
    People several blocks away said the explosion rattled their office windows.

http://www.ktvz.com/video/23773234/index.html

A very big chunk of the plant is gone,, having toured this plant before they suspended tours due to insurance company demands I can tell you the ballistics lab is basement level and the damage you see is ground level,, it appears at first glance the seconds store was hit,, the area where the actual bullet machines work was hit badly too if the view in the video jives with my memory.

http://www.ktvz.com/video/23773234/index.html
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    Wow, glad everyone seems to have escaped. A muzzleloader company here in state had an explosion last month, and 2 employees were killed.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Well, that sucks. Expect another hoarding incident.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

That's amazing. I know that the Sierra reloading area is just adjacent to their shooting
    tunnel, and I would presume that the same would be the case at Nosler. Sounds like
    somehow they had a bunch of powder or primer (maybe more likely primers) go up.

Very good news that everyone got out OK. That tends to make me think that they got
    a fire going somehow and it eventually hit a supply of primers and/or powder.

Do they actually manufacture ammunition here or just bullets and do testing like
    Sierra does? If they manufacture ammo then they would have had literally tons more
    powder and primers on hand than if they were just quality testing bullets.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 06-02-2010 at 08:23 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    The report assumes no one seriously hurt. That's a tribute to their attention to safety- good on 'em. Having said that, their commercial liability insurance would- by the nature of their work- be written as 'excess lines.' That translates into 'high risk.' I hope they recover, rebuild and.....still be able to afford the excess lines umbrella they'll need to operate.

Good luck Nosler......

Tom
    NOI- it's what's for dinner

Cast Boolits Owner

I wonder if the "flash" was caused by years of unburnt powder in the tunnel itself?

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Not out of the question. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    This sounds similar to what happened in a gun shop (Fowler's, if I recall correctly) in Pasadena, CA, in 1985 or so. They had a shooting tunnel below ground. Someone was shooting, a fire started, then... BOOM! The building fell into the hole and almost all was lost in the ensuing fire. Too bad. They had some Civil War artifacts, a top level John Wayne Commemorative set, a M-53 Smith (complete, mint) and many other valuables that went up in smoke. The only thing good that came of it was that the sales records for two of my firearms were destroyed in the fire. Sadly, I think they lost one employee (a member of the ownership family, if I recall correctly), while the rest escaped.

In the Nosler story, the orange cloud screams "nitrogen", meaning a lot of powder went up. I'm glad they had good training and escape procedures in place. I think (with nothing concrete to back it up) that they'll pull themselves up from the ashes and continue to serve us. I certainly hope so. It would be a shame for Nosler to become a historical footnote.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by AZ-Stew; 06-03-2010 at 12:07 AM.
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    agreed, I use more Nosler J boos than any other, beside that though they are a fine USA manufacturer, and we need more of them not less. Hope to God they rebuild and knock on wood HERE, not over, or under THERE.

Boolit Master
    I think we should all show our support by buying some Nosler j-word bullets and/or brass. I know I will.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I was needing a particular [Nosler] product, so I went to one of my well used on line vendors and stocked up. Good time to do it to show support for someone in the community. I'm hoping by the time I use up what I just ordered they will be back in full swing.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range 257 Shooter's Avatar
    Wow! That is terrible. I sure hope they are able to rebuild.
    In God WE Trust!
    NRA Life Member
    "I'll keep my guns, my money and my freedom, you can keep the change!"

Sounds like Glock's fire of several years ago.
    Douglas, Ret.

Boolit Buddy
    any update on the explosion at the nosler plant?
    any immediate word as to production capabilities?
    hopefully they can pull thru this and remain in business......this outfit has been a stalwart contributor to our firearm heritage.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

The machinery escaped unharmed and the computers and of course the people and they have a stockpile on hand to ship. A Contractor has already been hired and is apparently on site and working to rebuild what was damaged. Little disruption should be seen by shooters out here.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com