Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanking a Korean War Vet (56K not reccomended)

Boolit Bub

Thanking a Korean War Vet (56K not reccomended)

I met a great man on Saturday, who was commonly called Grandpa Lindsey, though I called him Ray all day. He wore a USS Donald Cook naval cap, and we struck up a friendly conversation. He told me that his son is on board serving right now on that ship, though he did serve. I made an educated guess, and asked him if he had served in the Navy during Korea, to which he confirmed.

The next part deeply saddened me, though later on brought great joy to my heart.

As always, I make it a point to thank every single veteran and service member that I run across, and Ray was no exception. His face turned white, his jaw dropped, and his eyes glazed over like he had just witnessed a ghost passing by in front of him.

He had never been thanked for his service. Not one time before 5/22/2010 for his service during a war that ended in 1953. The pain on his face when he realized what I had just uttered, and the sudden realization that this was the first time his service to this country had been recognized and deeply appreciated hit home. We both shed a few tears.

We talked more and more, and he mentioned that he went through basic with an '03 Springfield, though he dearly loved the M1 Garand that he had used several times before leaving the service. A light bulb moment suddenly hit me, and I informed him that there was a loaded en bloc with Ray written all over it. After a little help from a friend in the Air National Guard, Ray grabbed his ear and eye pro and scurried down to the firing line. It was the fastest that any of us had seen this gentleman move, including when his granddaughter DEMANDED her hug and kiss

Though I attempted to get these on video, it didn't happen due to some error on my part with the camera. However, I think the photos sum up the experience.

And his 8th shot:

Photos can't capture the audio obviously, but Ray exclaimed with excitement and joy, and judging by his reaction to operating a firearm that brought him back to his younger years serving our great country abroad, he went home an ecstatic Korean War Veteran that couldn't have though of a better ending to a wonderful day.

"WOW! WOAH, OH, MAN!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU SO MUCH! YEE-HAWW!"

I hope that when you think of this man who is living his life, raised his children, and is being an active part of his grandchildren's lives, and then realized that nobody had ever thanked him for his service in one of America's most gruesome wars some part inside of you says "That's not right - that's not how MY America treats her vets." I also hope that you get active, and make it a point to thank these brave men and women - we may never get another chance, and they may never realize that there are those of us out there who greatly appreciate their dedication and service.

Ray, if you're out there reading this, you've always got a clip with your name on it in my range box.

Boolit Master

Great write up. I worked with a Korean War Vet who lives round the corner. He has stories, scars, and a missing finger to validate it all. Great generation that is slowly fading.....
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Man
    Way Cool!

Boolit Master

jeep, That's awesome it's a shame that not all vet's recieve the respect they deserve. FB

Boolit Grand Master

Thank you to Ray and a "well done" to jeep.

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Thank you to Ray and a "well done" to jeep.

Larry Gibson
    +1 and a ditto for me!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Kudos to Jeep and sincerly Thank You to Ray.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    Jeep,
    Thank you, sir, for acknowledging veterans. I'm sure that Ray looks upon you as his best friend.

Boolit Man
    My Dad served in Korea with 3RAR.They are a hardy breed of men and women who where born in the depression , lived through WW2 and fought in Korea.
    Lest We Forget.

Sure looks like he remembered how to shoot that Garand just fine, too!

Boolit Master

Great story. Thanks for sharing jeep. I have a friend who is 92 years young. He was proudly at the Battle of the Bulge. He says he would do it all again. He entertains me with stories of his time there. He still drives himself, lives alone, and can shoot with most of us on this forum (no kidding). A program here that came to my attention is called Honor Flight which flies vets to Washington DC to view the military sites there. I don't know how wide spread that program is. It is a good program to honor those who have served us. I printed off the necessary forms and gave him a call and offered to sponser him. This means he goes with his way paid while I pay for my trip. Each vet is to have a sponser. He said he couldn't make the trip because it is too long a day for him at his age. I am sad for him but glad I offered anyway. We cannot do too much for these heroes who are passing from our presence all too quickly.

Boolit Master
    My Father lost a leg to a mortar round while serving in the Army in Korea. He passed away three weeks ago at the age of 79.

Other than for the last couple of years his missing leg wasn't even remotely what people would consider a 'handicap'. He got up every day and went to work, then farmed and worked around the house in the evenings.

There are people who go their whole lives and never meet a truly exceptional person. I have the privilege of being able to say I knew one literally from the day I was born.

Thanks.
    My Dad served in the USN during WW2 and in the Air Force Air/Sea Rescue in Korea. He was tough as they come but could change a diaper or feed a baby as gentle as any woman. He loved this country and tried to pass that onand would suffer no BSabout her or the Flag!
    I sure miss him and those of his generation that are gone.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Bub
    You know it is a damn fine thing you did that day. I have an old nam veteran who is humanistic about being a "certified" crazy. he server four tours in name as a huey pilot and was shot down two times and walked away and on the third he got pretty messed up and became a POW for a handful of years. He almost never talks about the details thus why everything here is what I have found out in the last few years I have known him. When asked why he went back after his first two tours he simply replied "so my brother didnt have to" turns out his brother was drafter but my friend cut a deal to keep in the corps for the length his brother was supposed to serve.

What amazes me is that every few month people will talk about his behind his back about and have never taken the time to learn about the man. But every time anyone in my family sees him we always thank him for his service to make sure he never forgets his service is appreciated.

Boolit Master

My Godfather was an Army vet from Korea. He was Daniel Nagle from Webster NY. He served as a Sergeant of a platoon of Half Tracks armed with quad M-2 .50 Cal BMG's. He told me that they had 16 Half Track set up in a cave facing a wide valley which the North Koreans and Chinese used to attack our troops. They had a wide field of fire and about 4 miles of open terrain to cover. He said that they would only have 4 half tracks at a time firing. When their barrels heated up or when they needed to reload the 2nd unit would begin fire. While the 2nd unit was firing the 1st would change out the barrels and reload and do the necessary maintenance on the guns. When the 2nd unit needed to reload or change barrels the 3rd unit would fire. This went on for hours and they always had a brace of 4 half tracks with a total of 16 .50's ready to go at all times.

He told me that at times there were bodies piled up 5 high on the killing fields and his biggest problem was the empties that piled up around them and getting enuf ammo to feed those M-2's. They were in a cave with overhead cover and although the enemy artillery had them zeroed in the rounds could only splash schrapnel into the front of the cave and they had that covered with sand bags. He told them that the bags got torn up pretty good and he only had light casualties from time to time. Mortars and artillery could not get his guys due to the small opening in the cave. Due to the range and massive firepower he could unleash they got very little in the way of rifle fire into the cave as the enemy had to get within rifle range of the cave and there was not any cover for them to hide behind. When they started to get rifle fire inside the cave he would have his guys fire into the pile of bodies and the troops would be decimated or worse.

The bad part was the smell and the noise. When he came home from Korea he had suffered about 75% hearing loss and it did not get any better. He lived out his days running a family owned gas station in Webster NY and passed on about 10 years ago.

He was a quiet and gentle person who rarely talked about his service but I was young and a gun nut and he was my Godfather so when I asked about it he would talk to me. Sadly because of his hearing disability he was mistreated by a lot of people and taken to be less then intelligent. I knew better. He is missed.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

I'm a Korean vet and also a Vietnam vet. I live in Nevada and I'm gratified by the number of Nevadans who have noticed my cap that states my veteran status and then shook my hand and thanked me for my service. They were from various walks of life, from a little old lady to what appeared to be a biker. Now I'm not saying that Nevadans are more patriotic than residents of other states but I'm certainly happy that I live here. I own an M1 such as I carried in Korea and a number of .45 autos such as I carried in Vietnam.
    Last edited by MSgtUSMC; 06-06-2010 at 02:37 PM.

My dad was a Korea veteran so those Men get a special place of honor with me as do all vets.
    http://adventuresinopencarr.blogspot.com/
    even my cat has a gun
    Trust in GOD and the Mauser.

Boolit Master

My grandfather was wounded by a bullet to the head in Normandy. After being left for dead, then being recovered three days later he was deemed unfit for service, however, he was the only man in the entire brigade who could type, so he was sent to OSS to type documents. He had never told anyone of his experiences, untill i came home from the war, he unloaded on my for hours. i could tell it was such a relief for him to have all of that off of his shoulders. he died 3 months later. the fact that he trusted me with that weight means everything to me. I have his uniform hanging on my wall, his lowest medal a purple heart, hights a silver star w/ V.

Quote Originally Posted by MSgtUSMC View Post
    I'm a Korean vet and also a Vietnam vet. I live in Nevada and I'm gratified by the number of Nevadans who have noticed my cap that states my veteran status and then shook my hand and thanked me for my service. They were from various walks of life, from a little old lady to what appeared to be a biker. Now I'm not saying that Nevadans are more patriotic than residents of other states but I'm certainly happy that I live here. I own an M1 such as I carried in Korea and a number of .45 autos such as I carried in Vietnam.
    I thank you also! You are another of my heroes!
    Jay

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by 82nd airborne View Post
    My grandfather was wounded by a bullet to the head in Normandy. After being left for dead, then being recovered three days later he was deemed unfit for service, however, he was the only man in the entire brigade who could type, so he was sent to OSS to type documents. He had never told anyone of his experiences, untill i came home from the war, he unloaded on my for hours. i could tell it was such a relief for him to have all of that off of his shoulders. he died 3 months later. the fact that he trusted me with that weight means everything to me. I have his uniform hanging on my wall, his lowest medal a purple heart, hights a silver star w/ V.
    82nd, that is awesome. I was never able to serve as I lost an eye as a kid and they would not take me. I tried. My Daddy would unload on me once in a while when he had a snoot full. He never had to kill anybody but had his share of blood and guts, dead burnt bodies etc. He told me the first time he had to clean up a burnt aircraft wreck they bagged a bunch of guys. Later when he was back at base he went for chow and they had fried chicken. He said it hit him then. He didn't eat fried chicken for a long time. Folks kinda thought he was a card short of a deck sometimes but they did not know him like I did.
    Thank you for your service also.
    Jay

Thomas Paine