RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: ex-Linotype operators: foundry lino?

Boolit Buddy

ex-Linotype operators: foundry lino?

I was getting ready to ingotize some lino, and realized that I had about a dozen "weird" pigs with hanging ears on both ends, indicated with the mold number and "this ingot is not to be sold" cast in.

I think they may be brand new pigs from the foundry, especially since they don't have the typical layered look of recast pigs (like the one with the broken ear). Any former (oops, I almost typed "old") linotype operators out there able to help? Just a matter of curiosity, but if foundry metal they would give a good comparative reference to other batches of lino.

Thanks,

Richard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lino2.jpg   Lino1.jpg  
    Last edited by Typecaster; 04-05-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Gotta give a plug for Ed's Red…
    Plans and dreams are what we have until life gets in the way.

XNGH E Clampus Vitus, Platrix Chapter No. 2 "Credo Quia Absurdum"

Master Tool & Die Maker

Typecaster:

Those pigs are more than likely linotype or monotype lead. The "ears" on the ends were there so the pigs could be hung from an a auto-feeder. As the lead levels dropped in the pot, the pig would be lowered, maintaining a constant level.

Seeing that one ear is broken off, indicates that the alloy is pretty hard. Those pigs should ring lke a church bell.

I ran a linotype over 35 years ago, pretty sophisticated piece of equipment. I still have a "pig" mould, similar to the pigs shown in your picture, only my mould has the ears at one end only.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Banned

the triangle one with the broken ear appears to have the same sheen as the ones i have just like it.
    the others i can't say for sure.
    could be mono or even foundry type.
    saying what it says i would bet it's foundry type for enriching lino.

Boolit Bub
    They are no doubt lino metal. The ears at both ends are probably there for when they get dropped and one end gets too buggered or broken to hang from. Not for sale probably means new metal. The reuse moulds were normally water cooled triangular things that could recycle metal pretty fast. This metal was used in lino casters as well as Ellrods and other casting machines like Ludlows etc. that produced type as well as space material.

Yes, I used to be a "Comp"!

Boolit Master
    Boy, it's been a lot of years since I've seen anyone use the word Ludlow. Ahhh, the good old days!
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Buddy
    Not for sale probably means new metal.

Thanks, Ian. That's exactly what I was thinking as well. Just for fun I'll do the bearing comparator test between those as a reference and other lino ingots.

Richard

Boolit Man
    I'm curious - what is that delicious looking liquid in the bottle in the first picture?

Boolit Buddy
    Squid 1230, that's not Kool-Aid, it's Ed's Red, the sacred elixir for carefully cleaning precision tools—including guns. I mix mine the old-fashioned way, with turpentine. (Although I think the old formula for Hoppes #9 would be a great after-shave, my wife doesn't agree. She doesn't complain about Ed's Red, however.)

Do a search here (I think Ed Harris is a member) or Google it.

I'd just used it to clean an 1842 percussion rifle. No fouling, per se, but some tarnish from handling. (Don't have the photo on this computer, but search the site for "inlay" and you should be able to find it)

Richard

Boolit Bub

Ludlow and

Kluge or Chandler Price are words that all just go together to me. The bring back memories. Shop I worked sold 3000 lbs of linotype back in the early 80's for almost free. If I only knew then what I know now.

Banned

I would guess its used lynotype. If its marked not for resale it was probably molded by a printing shop after use.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Typecaster View Post
    Do a search here (I think Ed Harris is a member) or Google it. Richard
    http://www.lasc.us/EdsRedBoreCleaner.htm

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Buddy

Not for resale

The shop where I worked blended and mixed their own alloy. The Pigs were cast on site and marked " not for resale" . We blended, mixed , and replenished alloy to lino-type specs . When we discontinued hot type I purchased all the lino at 5 cents per pound. They even assigned a person load it in my truck for me.

Boolit Bub
    The shop I worked at moulded new pigs for the machines, that was the job for the apprentice in trouble. There was one in particular that would come in hung over, Danny was his name. I don't think he ever figured it out and ended up refueling jet airliners at the local international airport. Think about that when you fly!