Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: My idea of.......

My idea of.......

the right kind of fit:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As cast this was a .446" bullet and when patched with tracing paper of around .0029" thickness....it fit snugly into the mouth of a FL sized WW .45/70 case but it was too tight to chamber into an 1885 Browning chamber soooooo.....I ran this dude through a .444" Cornell swage die (meaning I ran the naked bullet through the die and then re-patched it) and now....using the same patch paper it works like onto a champ; fits snugly into the case and when chambered the patch is engraved as you can observe here! Other than a group of shots wadded up tightly into the middle of a target....this is the way I like for my PP rounds to look!
    Last edited by RMulhern; 05-10-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Forgot something!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

The right time...

Hello,

I've been following your posts and the posts of the other PP experts for a while and always find it very interesting to read as well as exchanging email with a few; there was a lot of help to be found.
    Thank you!
    After acquiring my first BPCR rifle last year (the story is to be found somewhere here) I finally bought a PP mould from a CB member. It is, I think, the same as yours: Money Nose in .446. Now I got to cast some boolits which have been a little bit tricky but in the end I got a few.

Well long story short, I patched them with tracing paper that runs about the same size as yours. Most probably I have overstretched it a bit and the boolits are .450 instead of .452 as intended. I can push them through the bore with a rod there is a slight marking of the lands.
    Is this the same with your boolits?
    If so I will try them; my concern was they might be to slim and not slug up enough upon firing.

Thank you for your time
    Hubertus

Slim fit??

If you're using blackpowder.....don't worry about the bullet 'bumping up'....it will!

Don't think I could push these through the bore too easily but tapping with a light hammer using a wooden dowel....they'd go through!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Assurance

Thank you.

Yes, I am using blackpowder, Swiss 1 1/2fg (we call it Swiss No4).
    So the only thing to do now is to try them and see how it goes.

Thank you, again - as soon as I have something on paper I will post.

Hubertus

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Rick,
    I have only just started with PP and only made 2 trips to the range to fire PP loaded rounds, but I am glad to see that one of the PP boolits that I chambered but then had to remove from the rifle looked very much like your photo. I did have to tap it out of the barrel because the loaded case left it in the barrel when I removed the case, but the markings, the hight of the rifling markings on the patch, etc all seem to be the same.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!