Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm a lead miner!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Then your bullets are wrapped in the direction (relative to rifling twist) which works best for me...following the 'two-handed rule of finding one's butt with both hands while blindfolded'.

I'm surprised to hear that you use a mallet to pound a tight patch through the bore...with a delrin rod.

CM
    Well, the rod was probably complaining. I did use a guide, but it probably wasn't the best rod to use for such antics .

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Well I don't know about your chamber, but the chamber on my CSA 75 in 45-70 is pretty tight. There's really no freebore at all.
    Wrapping the bullets to .450 or under, sandwiching a felt wad between two fiber wads and seating the bullet so there's only about an 1/8 of an inch in the case seems to work alright.
    I'm theorizing that the felt wad sandwiched between the 2 fiber wads cushion the base of the patched bullet, and the shallow seating depth means that the base doesn't have alot of room to bump up as the base is likely into the lead by the time it fully obturates.
    Also,, if you're crimping those you can tear the patch before the powder ever goes off. A quick way to check that is take a loaded round, and if you can pull the bullet by hand and the patch looks good you may be alright. If tho you use a mallet puller and the patch comes apart you've got to much case mouth/neck tension tearing the patch and that'll sure let you mine lead. Chamfering the case mouths smooth as a babies bottom will help cure a lot of "bad" patch blues.
    Interesting.... How old is your CSA? I wonder if they are making them different. By looking down the bore I can see the transition to the rifling in my .45-70 and it looks quite a bit longer than any of my Shiloh. For my new BACO .459" Creedmoor gg mould, I can seat to about 3.08" before the front driving band touches the lands. That gives me the top lube groove fully exposed, and the second one just showing.

On my PP loads, the bullets are a snug fit. I can remove them without any damage (I've been seating the bullets by hand). They are snug enough that holding the loaded cartridge upside-down will not cause the bullet to fall out.

I chamfered the cases with the RCBS chamfering tool. I've gone over a few of them to make sure that there is no ridge left from trimming.

I bought some felt on my way home from work last night. I'll give that a go, and maybe seat the bullet a bit further out. Maybe 1/8" or 1/10" ? Would you suggest lubing those up and covering with a 0.030" veg king wad?

thanks,

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by powderburnerr View Post
    I did not mean the chamber is wrong ,you just have to approach it differently because it is bigger,,,
    the thick walled brass was designed to fill the gap in a shiloh chamber it fills up the area of the 45 degree slope to the barrel ,it may not solve the bigger leade area of te C. sharps
    Ah. I see.

thanks,

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    My CSA was brand spankin new in December of 07
    On those felt wads, yes I'ld soak em with a lube of somekind, if nothing else, try some snowseal.
    Yes put a fiber wad on either side of the felt.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.