RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMCD Products

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How did this dud happen?

Boolit Master

Another thing to remember is not to leave powder in a measure long term. The powder can settle and bridge. It will pick up moisture and cause bridging, it doesn't take much moisture to change flow characteristics. Dump that powder out of the measure when expecting to not use the measure for a while.

Boolit Buddy
    Has anybody ever had a totally silent primer only load that didn't move the bullet at all?

I've never had a primer-only load in 50+ years of reloading. See my procedures above.

Primers can generate up to 10,000 psi depending on case volume and primer type. It's possible that neck tension and/or crimp might be able to withstand that, but it's somewhat unlikely.

Boolit Master
    Like theperfessor, I charge in a loading block, 50 at a time. I then visually inspect each case. I then take a sample of 10% using correct procedure for statistical validity and measure them. If on visual inspection or during my sample measure, I have any concerns, then I stop and manually weigh each charge.

Boolit Master
    I use a 50-hole loading block and have never had an un-charged or over-charged case. However, we are humans and prone to not being perfect.

Each of us have our casting and reloading systems. What works for me may not work for you. It's pointless, though, to denigrate another person's system.

Unless you're denigrating mine, there hasn't been any such thing happen.

Boolit Master
    I splurged and bought a RCBS Chargemaster. I used to load a 50 block, and check every fifth powder drop on a beam scale. Now this thing slings powder into the pan until it's almost done and then trickles to the exact chage.

I pour the powder into the case and once I put the pan back on the scale it starts dropping another charge -- meanwhile I'm finishing seating a boolit as it is finishing dropping powder. Goes quick and keeps me moving from scale to press, and no more block.

Boolit Master

I've seen and heard of primers that don't go "bang" but just "sizzle" and create soot.
    I suspect that those primers were contaminated with oil or something.
    Last edited by mpmarty; 05-06-2010 at 12:03 AM. Reason: add suspicions
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

A flashlight on the bench!

I got a led light from walmart that I angle to the case. I started loading looking to see powder before setting a bullet on top. Just a good habit to get into I guess.
    VOTE 2010! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!) I got this from AZ Stew

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician - Col Jeff Cooper

Boolit Man
    It is possible for the primer to go off and not move the bullet. You have seen this result.
    As for the powder, I don't think it is a bridging problem. I have used Unique extensively with powder measures and I have never had a bridging problem.
    I am not familiar with the LNL powder measure system, but it reads like you are not getting powder into the case at all times. I don't know if there is a spring return on the powder bar (measure) or a positive return. The other possibility is that you are not completely cycling the handle and therefore shortstroking the powder measure.

Boolit Master

I use a loading block (11x9 - square is boring!) for pistol rounds, charging with a Hornady Pistol Powder Measure. For rifle, I have a CoolWhip bowl that I put the primed cases in - pull one out, charge it from my bench-mounted Duo-Measure, set the bullet/boolit on top, seat it, and put the loaded round in another CoolWhip bowl.

I once loaded 100 .38 Specials with NO POWDER! Carrumba! I started the process late one night, and then came out the next morning, thinking (somehow?) I had already charged the powder. Duh. Shouldn't do reloading when half-awake, I guess.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
    Marlin 32 mag had about 10 duds out of 50. 100 gr plain base with 5 gr Unique with Win primers. Upon hammer strike, nothing, not even a pop. The other 80% shot normal. I took some apart this evening and there was no powder at all. I have had a couple of squibs without powder before in other guns and they pushed the bullet up the bbl a little and made a little bang. The bases of the bullets did have a little soot on them. They were not crimped very hard either. Any ideas?
    I share some of the concerns about loading procedures like the rest of these fellas, so I won't go into that. You didn't say how the primers looked after firing. Did the primer strike appear normal and centered on the primers that failed to ignite? Were they off centered or light strikes? Ten failures out of fifty would lead me to think there is something else wrong here besides a bad primer lot. Like a broken firing pin or spring. Maybe a headspace problem, or primer pockets too deep or out of spec. I would suspect cases should be inspected and discarded as required. I would still look at the weapon and it's function. Broken / worn firing pins and springs can still work, though erratically. How do you seat primers? Hand tool or on the press? If you have a hand tool it's a bit easier to "feel" the primer seating, and some may seat easier than others. If you use the press to install primers, you lose alot of that. I'd agree with MPMARTY on the contaminated primers, that is another factor with alot of merit.

Regards,
    Bill
    Last edited by BPCR Bill; 05-06-2010 at 09:51 AM.
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer

Boolit Master
    A silent primer squib happens in larger cap. cases like 44mag and up and can happen in a 357 mag if its a tight crimp. Smaller cases like 9mm will not hold the bullet when assualted by a primer. It usyslly gets stuck in the chamber trying to enter the barrel.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Banned

Loading one at a time can also cause a problem. A friend was loading that way, picked up an empty and his son came in and asked him something. He seated a boolit, forgetting the powder.
    The primer drove the boolit into the bore (.41 mag) and the next shot destroyed the gun.

Boolit Buddy
    You can see the soot on the bullet base Vs the unloaded one. Good primer hit and bullet still in place.

If you load enough, you are going to get a bad primer, or two. I have had probably 6 or 8 primers that did not go bang in the past few years. Part of it may be the companies quality control standards may have been loosened a bit to try to keep up with demand. I can not remember in my 53 years a time where we had to wait months for ammo or components.. It has been a liitle tough from time to time, but nothing like the last year and a half.

Boolit Grand Master

It is easy to make mistakes in loading, and anybody who calls themself an experianced loader has made some if they are honest. I can agree that using a loading block can cause a problem IF you charge all cases before putting a bullet in and not using a flashlight to check. When I use a block, I charge the case, insert the blt, and then put it in the block. On rifle cases with cast and small charges, or on hand gun cases where I am using a small amount of fast burning powder, I weigh finished cases on a little electronic scale. If you are using the same brand of brass, and your cast blts are consistant, variance will tell you if you have double charged, or failed to charge. As to no powder, agree, Pilot Error. I have had an occaisional bum primer from ALL brands of primers. Am not fond of progressive loaders!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Here is what I think, you have a fairly heavy crimp (from what it looks like) due to it being a lever. Primer went off but was not enough to dislodge bullet from crimp. I have had primers go off without making a noise but moved the bullet in a .357, the crimp was not real heavy. The no noise comes from wearing hearing protection. The double charge on the LNL or any other volume dispenser for that matter is almost impossible (unless you don't index and drop another load). As for squibs because of the use of powders like Unique is not uncommon, you can google it and spend a ton of time reading on it. I agree with others you have to watch the powder drops in cartridges, or find a powder that is 100% reliable in its drop. Switch powders to something like AA#5 and see if the problem goes away. I bet it takes care of the problem all together. You could also let off your crimp a bit.
    "And finally, the Baby Bear looked and he said, "Somebody's sleeping in my bed, and the bastard's still there!" But Goldylocks had a Remington semi-automatic, with a scope and a hair-trigger!"

Boolit Bub
    I do most of my reloading on a Dillon 1050 or Dillon 650. I use a strong mount on each press to raise the press. That way I reload standing up and can look into the case before inserting the bullet. Never load a case with no powder. The Dillon 1050 will load 1000 per hour if I have the primer tubes full. Never a squib load.