Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many boolits do you get

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    On the other hand I think it's funny how we tend to think about things. We worry that a $35 tool might wear out when it's only made $2000 worth of boolits (buy a spare if you shoot that much).
    Heck of a lot of truth right there boys!

Boolit Master

I have been at this so called money saving addiction for 16 years now and I know I have probably over $10,000 invested in all kinds of shooting stuff including guns.

My newest addition was a decent gun safe to protect my investments. Now I have been forced to live in a small mobile home in a senior trailer park and my living room and half of my kitchen is festooned with all kinds of casting and reloading stuff.

My Lee molds from day one are still going strong. With proper leementing and liberal use of Dan Conglosi's Bull Shop lubes they are still producing excellent quality boolits. My 230 Gr LRN .45 ACP mold has produced probably over 25K boolits over the years. The sprue plate handle has been repaired with JB weld and is presently wrapped with metal duct tape but is original.

It is stained and ugly as my mother in law but still puts out a lot better than her daughter. For the money the Lee molds are the best thing since bottled beer.

However a newcomer has really brightened up the casting world. Those new MP molds out of Slovenia are outstanding. I have four so far and they are all winners. Those brass babies with the Cramer HP pins are just about all you could ask for in a mold. They are producing top quality boolits pretty fast and they are right on as far as I am concerned. I cannot see how I could wear any of them out in my lifetime and I am looking around to see who is deserving the when I pass on. It is a heavy responsibility that should be taken seriously as we need this occult passior of ours to be continued on to the next generations.

The NOE molds out of Utah are also pretty good. I have a couple of them and they are winners also. They are not cheap but they are really good.

I am always promoting the casting to all shooters who will listen but I have been hoisted by my own petard as the accumulation of WW's is getting ever more difficult every day by the proliferation of casters all competing for a rapidly diminishing supply of WW's.

I recently had to sink to buying some 40-1 alloy from Rotometals for my recent dip into the black arts of BCPR.

This a a true addiction. I am retired but always busy. Feeding a M-1, SMLE, .223, 1911 and a pair of 9 MM's is keeping me out of bars and from chasing women. Then I still have a .380 ACP and a couple of 357/.38's to feed as well. Then of course there is a the prima donna of all the 6.5 x 55 MM Sweede to feed at well.

Combine the above with an additction to British Motorcycles and the care and training of SGT. RAMBO (my attack Chichuahua) and maintaining a relationship with my ex wife....I am a busy fella. However I am happy and contented.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Bub
    My Lee 6 cavity has lasted about three weeks so far and made over 2,000 bullets. So if it becomes scrap Aluminum next week, it's only paid for itself 4 times over.

IMO if you take care of it and don't try to use it as a hammer or chisel. Lube and store it properly and such, it should last for years.

Boolit Master
    "It is stained and ugly as my mother in law but still puts out a lot better than her daughter."

NOW THAT"S A CLASSIC

Banned

I quit destroying my two-cavity Lee moulds when I discovered how to lube them. Three things that wear out are the top of the blocks and the area around the pivot, as well as the alignment troughs for the steel roller bearing pins in the bottom. When the troughs wear, vertical alignmnent is impossible. The top and sprue plate pivot are gouged out by galling aluminum and heat. Bull plate is good stuff for steel moulds, but I've never had anything but bad luck with it on Aluminum. PM me if you want to know what REALLY works on aluminum.

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Bull plate is good stuff for steel moulds, but I've never had anything but bad luck with it on Aluminum. PM me if you want to know what REALLY works on aluminum.

Gear
    Is there a reason that your information is not able to be posted publicly?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I haven't done anywhere near the volume of casting that some here have, but I have used Lee moulds for a couple decades now.

I've never completely worn a mould out, but I have learned lots of good info on this site in the last few months that will help me take care of them better so they last a lot longer.

The two big things for me are: 1. Bullplate lube (awesome stuff) and 2. lapping the cavities so the boolits just fall out. I think these two things will extend the life of a set of moulds.

On the other hand I think it's funny how we tend to think about things. We worry that a $35 tool might wear out when it's only made $2000 worth of boolits (buy a spare if you shoot that much).

I read where some guys wonder if their AK47 will wear out after firing only 50,000 rounds. If so, just buy a spare $400 gun to shoot the next $10,000 worth of ammo. Not trying to make fun of anyone; most of us tend to think that way sometimes.
    Fatelk, I can tell you are a philosopher and decoder of mans ways. +1 on the lapping of Lee molds. All of the two bangers and most of the 6 bangers come so you have to wail the dickens out of them. Lee = Lap Enough Everyone!
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    Is there a reason that your information is not able to be posted publicly?
    Hummmm. Funny. I had the same thought.
    Some type of really big secret here that may jepordize our national security or something?
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

Boolit Master

I don't know how long they last. I've never worn out any of mine.