Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: BLL too high for comfort?

Boolit Bub

BLL too high for comfort?

Maybe I am worrying too much, but is 16 BLL something too be concerned with? I cast a few times a month, don't smoke or eat while casting, and still my level has went up from 7 one year ago.

Boolit Master
    I thought anything over 10 was something to be concerned about. You may want to look into why it is that high..

Boolit Master
    A sudden increase like that is cause for concern, because you are doing something wrong. You might consider two possibilities for a start: lead is getting into places other than your casting area; and you are not getting all of the lead off your person before you eat. I suggest you get medical advice on whether you need to stop casting until this is sorted out - and even that may not be sufficient, if lead has found its way into your house. If that has happened, it is a serious problem you need to deal with.

Boolit Master

do you shoot indoors?? What has changed in your life or habits since the first test and this last one?? A couple years ago my level was 18 and that was due to shooting indoors. I normally run 5-8 and I cast and load about 15k annually. I don't smoke, cast in an unventilated 24X24' garage and wash up after casting. I do my smelting outdoors and anytime I handle bullets, ingots or ammo I wash my hands before eating or drinking. good luck, hope you figure it out.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    do you shoot indoors?? What has changed in your life or habits since the first test and this last one?? A couple years ago my level was 18 and that was due to shooting indoors. I normally run 5-8 and I cast and load about 15k annually. I don't smoke, cast in an unventilated 24X24' garage and wash up after casting. I do my smelting outdoors and anytime I handle bullets, ingots or ammo I wash my hands before eating or drinking. good luck, hope you figure it out.
    Bingo! Shooting indoors exposes you to a much higher level than you can get bullet casting w/ proper hygene. I limit my indoor shooting to 3-4x max a year. I've been shooting, reloading & casting for 30+yrs & my recent blood level report was below 10.

I've been told that 17 was on the high end of normal. I too shoot indoors, and have been in the 30's, so I wouldn't be too concerned about a 15. Just be aware of your hygiene habits. That seems to be one of the biggest precautions.
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the replies. I don't shoot indoors, but shoot outdoors several times a month, cast outside (ventilated garage) and shoot a couple of bricks of 22's a month. I bring the boolits inside for sizing and loading. Maybe all my presses, firearms, cleaning rags, brushes, etc (which I have in my hands most of my waking hours) are contaminated.

I spend about 7-10 hours a week casting, loading, and cleaning. Top it off with all the shooting I guess I am lucky it isn't much higher.

My BLL was under 10 after the first week of casting, and 1.5 years later, with many thousands cast and shot, it rose up to 16.

Well, thanks again for the responses and I will clean up my reloading area and pay strict attention to my habits regarding fondling my stuff. I will check it again in 3 months, and if it hasn't gone down any, I guess I will have a blow out sale on my casting stuff and start shooting plated or jacketed. Though it will kill me.

Boolit Grand Master

Check out the Minnesota state diet for children exposed to lead and follow it and it may help reduce your levels. It did mine, along with improvements in ventilation.

Home Depot also carries a little easy to use kit to test objects for lead. It is about $5 or $6 dollars. Here in the store near me it is in the paint dept.

Boolit Grand Master

Any thing 40 and down is safe, but you should be lower if you do not have a known source
    of lead. I shoot regularly (for 30 yrs) indoors, cast and reload and mine has run in the low
    to mid 20s with zero issues - other than the problem of coming to this board too much

If you have no known exposure to lead and are above about 10, you should be looking at
    your lifestyle. If you KNOW you are exposed by indoor shooting, etc. the OSHA limit is
    40 before someone in industry has to start doing something to get it down.

As they have pointed out, the primary routes are via hands with food, drink and cigarettes.
    Also, you DO get exposed in an indoor range. If you shot at one every day I would worry.
    I do it once a week for a couple hours, no real issue, but I am careful to wash hands once at
    the range and again at the restaurant where we go afterwards.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Man
    Midway sells a hand soap called "D-LEAD". Don't know if it works any better than regular soap but I use it anyway.
    Ervin

I've got some of the disposable latex exam gloves that I try to wear when I'm sorting, sizing & lubing, and otherwise handling non-hot lead. I think it helps reduce the exposure a bit. A fan in the garage window while casting to keep air flow going across and away as well.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
    I've got some of the disposable latex exam gloves that I try to wear when I'm sorting, sizing & lubing, and otherwise handling non-hot lead. I think it helps reduce the exposure a bit. A fan in the garage window while casting to keep air flow going across and away as well.
    I do the same thing. Wash after every encounter of lead. Never drink or eat without a thorough wash. I wash clothes seperately. I clean up everything really well also. I use Ivory soap and a fingernail brush to clean under the nails. I may be going to far. I would just like to know that I am doig all I can .
    VOTE 2010! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!) I got this from AZ Stew

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician - Col Jeff Cooper

Boolit Master
    I just had a physical and asked to check my bll. Mine is 23 and the upper limit on the report is 19. About 15 yrs ago it was 10 only because I shot indoors several times that week. Very smokey 38's and several guys there also shooting rev's.
    As posted above, wash after you handle brass from the tumbler,loading, casting etc.. Lead is slow in removing from your system so its best not to get it in there in the first place if possible.
    Be safe, good shooting.

Mike

Boolit Grand Master

My blood pressure went up with my BLL of 12, up from less than 3. This is one sympton of lead poisioning you don't hear much about.

Banned

when they treated me they told me that anything under 30 in an adult man isnt a major consern.