MCD ProductsReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want something, but I'm not sure it exists...

Banned

Ive allways considered 7.0 unique max in the 1911s ive shot 7.5 alot in the 625s though with no problems. If i was going to shoot it in a 1911 though id consider going to at least a 19lb spring and probably a 20.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master 45 2.1's Avatar
    Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale
    Ill go with properly sized chambers properly sized bores and properly sized bullets that dont need to deform to fit. ********? maybe pal but bullseyes too!!
    You've got a strange way of looking at things Lloyd. I guess you just tried softer boolits in missmatched handguns. Ever tried them in properely put up guns? If you try a 7 to 8 BHN boolit in a 44 special, you might find that it will produce a nice bug hole thats little larger than the boolit. You or anyone you named don't have a lock on shooting lots of ammo or the experience that goes with it either. There are lots of people that do the things you named, but aren't famous. Handguns don't cover the entire spectrum of firearms either.
    45 2.1

Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance.

Never sleep, never die

Knowledge is easy to get, but worthless if you never use it. However the info is free, so the only person you have to blame is yourself if you chose not to use the information.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    May I say that you both are correct in your thinking, and in your results? ... felix
    felix

Boolit Mold

Wow, I didn't want to create so much clatter in the wood shed!

Maybe I'll test with this mould a little more. First, I'll go with water quenching fresh pours. I'll pour another lot with a bit more Linotype in the mix. (In my limited experiece with other guns, harder -within reason, has always yielded better accuracy and less leading when I've been pushing them hard. To the contrary when shooting light loads.) But I'm not looking for Bullseye accuracy to shoot pins. Softer lead against pins probably isn't the ticket. I'll also 'not resize' some -as LEE suggests for tumble lube bullets. Odd, but I'll give it a shot. I have not slugged my barrel. Maybe that is one thing I need to do soon.

As for working up the load, I haven't noticed any of the telltail signs of excessive pressure yet. I did notice velocity differences in range with the smaller sized bullets. I do shoot a similar load of 230gn Lee RNHP sized at .452" through the same Kimber. It's 7.3gns of Unique that pushes that bullet at 935fps. The LEE TC tumble lube bullets seem to be weighing in at 240gns instead and have considerably more land contact, so I'll deffinately approach anything above 7gns of Unique with caution.

Deputy Al, I looked at the NEI and Mountain offerings. Nothing from NEI interests me. There are several from Mountain molds that caught my attention, but they're all .451". Offerings at .452" don't look to be compatible with 45acp. They're moving their facility too, so they're basically out of business until late summer.
    -Steve
    Last edited by JackOfAllTrades; 06-28-2006 at 12:25 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I use the 230 gr lee mold you listed with the standard lube grove. It's good for shooting pins. I cast them out of soft range lead with a hardness of 8-9. I get no significant leading except in my Bersa and I think the shallow rifling I have in that barrel doesn't grab the soft bullet very well.

Banned

lets see first all my guns are set up right i wouldnt have one that wasnt. Second it wasnt me questioning your experience as a shooter it was you questioning mine. Third if you read my post you would have noticed that i stated that im not knowlegable in cast for rilfes. felix made a good point in his post. Theres lots of differnt theroys out there. I know what works for me and can prove it many times over on paper. If soft works for you in your guns great. I know pure lead is alot easier for me to come across anymore then lynotype and i wish it was true in my guns. Best advise i could give anyone is to consider both of us full of *** and go do the testing for themselves and come up with there own results. To many people take whats posted by someone on the internet as gospel and 95 percent of the time its more bs then anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1
    You've got a strange way of looking at things Lloyd. I guess you just tried softer boolits in missmatched handguns. Ever tried them in properely put up guns? If you try a 7 to 8 BHN boolit in a 44 special, you might find that it will produce a nice bug hole thats little larger than the boolit. You or anyone you named don't have a lock on shooting lots of ammo or the experience that goes with it either. There are lots of people that do the things you named, but aren't famous. Handguns don't cover the entire spectrum of firearms either.

Boolit Grand Master
    Jack--

The "design your own" software on the Mountain Molds site allows quite a bit of flexibility in diameters and weights, shapes, and designs. Try an E-mail to Dan at the address given, and I'm sure he'll meet ya half-way at minimum. From my experience with three of his molds, he's worth the wait.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    A hard enugh for the load ,boolit sized to fit the gun snugly, & lubed with a good lube. Then shot through good chamber(s) seated to a tested depth in the throat, from a smooth even bore.

I shoot hard boolits well and I shoot soft(er) boolits well also.
    WW is about as soft as I go , in a 44 mag.
    I have some darn fine loads with everything from WW to BHN 30 in the same gun and with the same powder and charge even the same mold.
    Hardness is but one factor out of many, BUT YOU ALL KNOW THAT !!
    How hard is hard enugh? Well you can get a rough idea from others test results but NOTHING BEATS A TRIP TO THE RANGE WITH SOME TEST LOADS.
    I THINK Elmer Keiths 45 mix was 1 pt tin to 10 parts lead. BUT I AM OLD AND UGLY AND I COULD BE WRONG!

Try some unsized air cooled and aged 2 weeks and also try some water droped.
    I think the molds on the market will do when you get it lined out.

Thats one thing about us casters,.....We are a opinionated lot and forget that theres more than one way for carpetman to skin a cat!! LOL!! Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by JackOfAllTrades
    Softer lead against pins probably isn't the ticket.

As for working up the load, I haven't noticed any of the telltail signs of excessive pressure yet. I did notice velocity differences in range with the smaller sized bullets. I do shoot a similar load of 230gn Lee RNHP sized at .452" through the same Kimber. It's 7.3gns of Unique that pushes that bullet at 935fps. The LEE TC tumble lube bullets seem to be weighing in at 240gns instead and have considerably more land contact, so I'll deffinately approach anything above 7gns of Unique with caution.

-Steve
    Why not softer lead? It should mushroom and grab the pin.

If you can get your gun to run them I would think 452-252-SWC would be great for pins; thats what the guys around here were using when pin shooting was popular...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 452252sw[1].gif  

Boolit Master
    Just to confuse things a little more, when I shot pins, lighter loads were better. You can send em as fast as you want, but the pins only have to leave the table. Hot loads make for more recovery time and slow you down in the long run. I learned to watch the front site as it recoiled and when the next pin was in front of it, squeeze off another one. After a bunch of rounds, it sort of becomes automatic and I thought "how did I do that?" That is when it really gets fun. I could shoot as fast with a 4" Dan Wesson 357 loaded down as I could the 45 auto.

David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12