WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In another era

Boolit Master

In another era

As time marches on sometimes we run across things that trigger memories !!

I`m next door to 50 now & thinkin of quitin makin bad examples & start givin good advise !!

I picked up this from somewhere , funny I can`t remember where but do remember department stores sellin firearms & ammo even if I was still poopin green!!!

Maybe it`ll shake loose some more files !!!

GP100man

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

I got one of those old Sears Shotguns, Think you can find some shells to go with it?

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Moderator Emeritus

Remember going to Western Auto and being able to buy a rifle? Revelation I beleive they were called. I bet I bought a metric ton of 22 ammo from the western auto as a kid. No ID required, just money. It was a different world.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Beekeeper
    GP100man,
    I have one of the Sears Heritage Rifles in 30/06.
    Wife bought it for me back in the 60's
    Has had a total of 6 rounds down the barrel.
    Has the look of a Mauser action and a saeco barrel but have never been able to find any info on who actually made them.

Jim

Boolit Buddy
    Even being underage during the "sign for all ammo days" I could buy .22 ammo at the only store in town which was more like a general store in a farm/ranch area. squirrels and rabbits were common table fare,and we had to shoot all coyotes on sight or anything hanging around the chicken house.

Boolit Master

I lve out on a farm & when we went to town it was a given to go by the local hardware store & I remember the clerk would sell me 1 50rnd box of 22s no questions !!

The only thing next to a supplier is : Sold by Sears , Roebuck Co. & a LOT # on one of the flaps ????

My uncle had 2 sears automatic 22 rifles they`d shoot lr , l & shorts.
    GP100man

Quote Originally Posted by Trey45 View Post
    Remember going to Western Auto and being able to buy a rifle? Revelation I beleive they were called. I bet I bought a metric ton of 22 ammo from the western auto as a kid. No ID required, just money. It was a different world.
    I remember the Western Auto stores, too. Revelation was their store-brand shells. I think they marketed some guns under that name as well, but don't remember for sure--maybe single-barrel shotguns or 22's. They also sold a big selection of auto parts, and kid's bicycles. Then they suddenly disappeared from Main Street USA. I wonder if there are any Western Auto stores left out there?

In Remembrance

Western Auto was bought out by White's Auto. I bought 22 ammo from the grocery store when I was 10. After buying them for months the clerk asked if it was OK with my parents and accepted my word that it was OK.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    In that same era, I rode a horse to school with a 22 rifle in the saddle scabbard and stabled the horse in the stalls provided at the school. I paid $0.70 for a 50 rd. box of Western Super X 22 Longs. Dad would not let me pay the extra 8 cents for Long Rifle solids or the extra 18 cents for Long Rifle hollow points. I ordered a rifle from Rears & Sorebuts in 1956 and it was delivered by Railway Express and we had to go to the station to pick it up.(1956). The train only ran up the valley twice a week and the station was only open for about 2 hours each day the train ran and it was 12 miles to town. I was 11 years old in 1956.

Banned
    Western Auto carried a pile of guns marketed as revelation. A friend of mine collects them. Pump scatterguns were mossberg 500's. I think the revelation 30-30's are marlin 336's. Etc.

I am only 36 years old, a relative youngster on this board.

When I was a kid, Dad used to send me into the store to purchase his cigarettes and chewing tobacco for him. I remember riding my bike to the store on several occasions while he was out plowing.

A friend of mine, couldn't have been any older than 12, won the tobacco spitting contest at the Sweetwater rattlesnake round up. His prize was a case of Redman chewing tobacco. We all got sicker than dogs that afternoon.....

In grade school, I would ride my honda 50 down the back county roads and shoot cottontails and squirrrels with my 410. My grandfather had made me a scabbard out of rope and the leg of an old pair of jeans. I was only stopped by law enforcement ONE time. The nice deputy asked what I was doing. He thought my motorcycle had broke down. I was trying to flush a rabbit out from under a cattleguard on a county road. The man actually got out and helped me get the rabbit, told me to be careful and have a good day. Granny sure could cook some rabbit and squirrel.

I hunted on folks land for FREE all over the place. All it took was asking a man for permission and a handshake during my highschool years.

It sure is a different world now days! And it SURE AINT GETTING ANY BETTER. Pretty sad if you think about it.
    Last edited by chaos; 04-17-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Trey45 View Post
    Indeed, it was a much better world back then. So much has changed and most of it has been a change for the worse.
    When I was a kid, my friends and I used to take off on our bikes early in the morning during summer vacation and not be back home until supper time. Hell, we would ride all over the place, miles away from home. No one worried about us.
    Now I see the kids in the neighborhood riding their bikes and they can't leave the block. If their parents come outside and can't see them, they freak out.
    It's sad as hell.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    I too look back on those simpler times with nostalgia. Heck I used to take my .22 target rifle to school on the school bus so I could practice with the team. But realistically would you really want to go back? Look at all of the guns and gear we have now that didn't even exist back then. What would you rather be driving, that new Ford pickup or a '63 Falcon? And biggest of all, we wouldn't have the internet to wax nostalgic on!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    I too look back on those simpler times with nostalgia. Heck I used to take my .22 target rifle to school on the school bus so I could practice with the team. But realistically would you really want to go back? Look at all of the guns and gear we have now that didn't even exist back then. What would you rather be driving, that new Ford pickup or a '63 Falcon? And biggest of all, we wouldn't have the internet to wax nostalgic on!

Ummm,
    Hell yes I'd go back in a heart beat. I wish my kids would have the opportunity to grow up in such conditons.

A fist fight in school back then would get a phone call to the parents. Now days, charges are actually filed along with a pile of more assorted BS.

I've got a crew cab diesel Ford that is fairly new. I'd trade it even across for that Falcon and the times and COMMON SENSE of yesteryear.

Take me back when folks were PROUD to buy American.

A loss of common sense and CHEAP CHINESE JUNK has settled us in ruins.

Heck a man can't hardly even buy a quality made in America pair of boots anymore.

I can remember my grandfather being ticked off at his 1986 F-150 as some of the bolts on that model weren't standard.
    Last edited by Trey45; 04-17-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: language

Boolit Master
    I've a Sears .22LR bolt action.
    I've a Sears .22Mag bolt action.
    I've a Sears 20ga double.

Life with Sears was good back then.

Until of course, the liberals, pols, thugs, gangstas and rappers started educating us all in the PC way of life.

Sigh
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Master

My 30-06 hunting rifle (that hasn't been out hunting for MANY years) is a JC Higgins. Mauser action, and I believe it was made by High-Standard. Good gun, especially with 46 grs of 4895 under a Hornady 165 gr Spire Point (that they don't make any more!).

And Man, do I remember the Western Auto Stores...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

J.C.Higgins was the Sears name, I have one of their .22's. Montgomery Ward also carried their line of firearms and ammo, I don't remember the name.

As a kid the Fire dept. had what they termed a lawn party. They had various games of chance as a way to raise funds. One of my favorites was to knock a pack of cigarettes off of a shelf with a cork firing Daisy rifle. Your prize was the pack of cigarettes. I was maybe 6-10 at the time. I looked forward to it every year. The lawn party went on for a week, every evening from 5-11.

There was a mom & pop store across the street when I was a kid. Many times my father sent me for cigarettes, as long as you were tall enough to put the money on the counter they sold them to you...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Moderator Emeritus

My dad used to send me to the corner store for smokes too, they had a machine, I forget how much it was, but every pack had 2 pennys taped to it for your change!
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    D*&@ now I am feeling OLD. Sold gas At Va Beach Va .13 (a gas war). Owned and drove a 1929 Ford Town Sedan. Top speed 70+ and 20+ MPG.

Sears stuff 2 or 3 K 22 LR in storage along with some 12 ga shells. Still have a 12 ga pump and a 9 shot 22 pistol+lots of gun oil. I don't know how many of those Mauser 30-06s or Win Centennials I bought. Guess where I worked?

In the summer we turned down the gas street lights to play hide and seek then turned them up again to shoot marbles or play mumbli peg. I rode my bike all over with my Red Ryder across the handlebars. And ALL of this while living in the city of -----CHICAGO.

Boolit Buddy
    Had a JC Higgens pump 12 Ga, Looked like a model 12 somewhat, I liked it better than my dad's model 12, trying to be a nice guy I loaned it to a kid to hunt wiith one season and he used it as a downpayment on a car, I couldn't do a damn thing about it he was 16 years old at the time, never found one to replace it.

Back when I was a kid we used to buy 22 shorts for 55 cents a box, now I think they cost more than the long riflesm My Uncle used to shoot deer in his field< when the freezer was getting low, using 22 shorts, one shot dropped it in it's tracks every time. I asked him one time why he didn't use long rifles, he looked at me and said "dont need em".............steg

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, those certainly were the days! When I was in High School - circa early 1950s - my woodshop project was fitting and finishing a custom stock for my Rem 721 in 270 cal which meant that I often took it home to show the folks what I was doing. And when it was done , it always spent hunting season in the back seat of my car where I could get it easily when we tore out at the last bell to get in a few hours of hunting before the sun went down. Can you imagine that happening nowadays! I'd have spent my entire High School years in the slams if they'd have had present day rules!! And while I lost that rifle many years ago - to my first wife - I still have my old Stevens 12 g pump shotgun which brought down quite a number of ducks and geese in its day. I loaned it to my brother a few years back and he decided to store it in his damp basement so now it has a lot of fine pitting in the bore and on the exterior surface but it still shoots pretty good.

And as others have mentioned, I sure feel sorry for kids nowadays as far as many of the freedoms they've lost when it comes to growing up. We left home in the morning riding our bikes and provided we got home in time for supper no one ever spent a minute worrying about where we were or what we were doing. Or at least they never let on that they did any worrying. I know that my son never lets his three young kids out of his sight, even if they are just playing in the backyard or out in front of the house. That's really a sad commentary on our present day society, isn't it. Well, I hope everyone is in agreement as to why we're in this situation, specifically, that Liberalism, beginning with Lyndon Johnson's 'Great Society', has in essence given everyone carte blanche to do 'whatever feels good' and has removed personal responsibility for any and all misdeeds, placing the blame for virtually all crime at society's doorstep. I really do hold little hope for this great nation surviving with the likes of the Obamination being elected to high office.

sleeper1428