Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Yet Another Affliction!

Boolit Master

Yet Another Affliction!

Well, I went and did it; I ordered a copy of Paul Matthews's The Paper Jacket today. I figure I'm going to find out what this paper patching stuff is all about, once I get back to the States.

I'm going to be shooting PPCBos in an NEF Buffalo Classic .45-70, on top of Holy Black. I was shooting grease grooved CBs with Holy Black through it in the past. Since I'm already set up to do that, the investment for paper patching should be minimal. I figure that .45 boolits are big enough so that even someone as ham-handed as me should be able to work with them. If I'm successful, I'll try it on a couple of smaller bore rifles, too.

Wish me luck!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Yep, once you have the mould and paper it's pretty cheap to feed the 45-70. I don't think he mentions it in the book, but a hot plate is a wonderful thing for drying your patches.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Yep, once you have the mould and paper it's pretty cheap to feed the 45-70. I don't think he mentions it in the book, but a hot plate is a wonderful thing for drying your patches.
    Yup, got a couple of them; one single burner and one double burner. What's a good source for molds? I've seen the ones that Buffalo Arms sells - are there additional sources?

ETA: I did a Google search and found a few other sources; RCBS makes one .45 PP mold; NEI makes several, and I found a source in Canada.
    Last edited by nicholst55; 04-05-2010 at 09:03 AM.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Old West Bullet moulds, Brooks moulds and Fred Leeth make paper patch moulds.
    You'll likely want to start with a bullet .440-.444 diameter and patch to bore, pay particular attention to the length of the bullet. You have to remember you're not shooting a 45 cal anymore you're dealin in true 44 so you need to match the length/weight/velocity of the bullet to the barrel twist.
    480 grs -500 is about where the 45-70 max's out with ability to control bullets at any appreciable distance.
    Have fun with it, but do be reminded that finding that super accurate combination with paper patch isn't the easy thing it is with grease groove.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

In Remembrance
    An electric coffee cup warmer does a good job of drying patches...and is also handy for melting bullet lube in a soupcan to make grease cookies.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info, guys! I was referred to the Shiloh Sharps forums for additional info, and I've been lurking there for the past couple of days - lots of good info there, and some of the same people, too!

They sure do have some pretty rifles there!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    It never ceases to amaze me, but someone asks a question on one forum and immediately some brainiac will refer the questioner to another forumLike we couldn't answer his questions the same way in on one forum as another.
    Anyway have fun with it, it's a challenge getting everything to work with the paper patches.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Get a copy of LOADING AND SHOOTING PAPER PATCH BULLETS, A BEGINNER'S GUIDE by Randolph Wright....well written and profusely illustrated by a professional illustrator. AND Orville Loomer's booklet on paper patch bullets. (Orville posts a lot over at shilohrifle.com/forums.) Both available at Shiloh Sharps.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDK View Post
    Get a copy of LOADING AND SHOOTING PAPER PATCH BULLETS, A BEGINNER'S GUIDE by Randolph Wright....well written and profusely illustrated by a professional illustrator. AND Orville Loomer's booklet on paper patch bullets. (Orville posts a lot over at shilohrifle.com/forums.) Both available at Shiloh Sharps.

Those two are next on my reading list.