Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A new casting hazard

In Remembrance
    As an Air Force electronics tech, I was required to remove all jewelry before working on radio gear. I would normally drop them in my shirt pocket.
    One night I was awakened from my bunk by the Army dude on radio watch, with the news that one of the radios was acting up.

A quick inspection verified it needed some tweaking, so I pulled off my watch and wedding ring. As I was only wearing an undershirt, I put them on top of the rack the gear was mounted in.

After finishing the job, I paused to shoot the breeze with the Army dude for a bit, before putting my test equipment away and grabbing my jewelry. During that chat, an attack began which culminated in our 16-man site being overrun by 300 NVA and VC troops.
    It was part of the 1972 Easter Offensive, and we were on top of Nui Ba Den (aka Black Virgin Mountain).

When it became obvious that we had lost control of the position, the Army dude followed standing orders...and melted all of the radio gear with incendiary grenades, to prevent secret information (the operating frequencies) from falling to the enemy.

My very small diamond, and the remains of a durn good self-winding Seiko, are still there.
    CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 03-29-2010 at 07:46 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Mold
    ..Id'a kept my mouth shut upon cashing in on that ring getting a new Hornady lock_N-Load outfit.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Well after I got married I wore mine until it almost took my finger off I got the ring off before the swealing took in. after about a week the swelling went done and finger was healing up I did not put it back on. Wife was kind of pissed but after awhile understood I wanted to keep my finger I wore it on a chain for awhile until she wanted it to wear on her thumb or something not sure where it is now.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    Married twice. 1st ring sold and turned into ammo. Current marriage intact. First ring from that marriage is in the pond behind the house. Fishing in April back in "82", standing in the jon boat, water & hands cold, suddenly while casting a distinct "PING" as the ring bounced off the seat and overboard. 3' of water over 5' of "loon excrement" bottom. Got a replacement the next day and only wear it sparingly, like when I wear the old college ring, wife dresses me in a stinkin suit for some chaps wedding or other trivia... etc... 10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Hung by wedding ring

When I was a kid Grandpa told me he heard hollering from somewhere -he was standing in the yard in a wide open Minn farming area. He turned round and round trying to figure where the yelling was coming from. With nothing in sight for a mile or two he figured it had to be coming from the church across the highway.

He ran across the road, behind the church and there was the dastardly minister hanging by one hand 25 feet off the ground. He climbed up the ladder and reached over the top to see what the minister was hanging onto. Turned out he was fixing the roof, slid off and luckily caught his ring on a shingle nail at almost the bottom course of shingles! Grandpa got underneath him and lifted him enough to get the ring unhooked.

Years later he asked me what I thought the moral of the story was. I suggested the wedding ring saved his life. Grandpa got really upset and said he learned that day the danger of wearing a wedding ring and put it in a drawer. He only began wearing it again in his mid 80s.

The family had very hard feelings about hte minister and his family. When he had to write his sermon on Saturdays the kids would hang out with my father and his sister and Grandma had to feed them. Dad didn't like the kids cause they were mean and had a billy goat for a pet that would ram Dad anytime he or his sister turned around.

THe pastor was a crook. When he left he didn't pay for several tons of coal they'd used the year earlier. He had a rubber nose that was hooked onto his glasses. The family celebrated when they left.

TED

Boolit Buddy
    I cut one off a truck driver that got it caught while jumping off a grain truck when I was a kid. That was enough for me. After that I thought bands were for birds

Banned

the specific gravity of gold is 19 and lead is 17.
    if you can get antimony to melt in lead gold certainly will as will silver which has a much higher melting point also.

knew a fellow once that lost his ring finger when it (the ring) got caught on a rivit in the door frame of a C-130 as he made a parachute jump. The ring, finger and a long piece of tendon/ligament stayed with the aircraft as he got sucked back and down in the slipstream.

Good thing it was a practice jump and medical assistance was in the drop zone.

Boolit Master
    swimming in hawaii, backpaddled a bit to move with a wave...and bingo both rings fall off.

the cool water had shrunk my fingers a bit and they just washed away.

dove and found one but not the other.....it was a no win situtation.....one wedding ring and one gift from wife......

laid a boiler sight glass assembly on my hand once..but felt nothing...hand would not move....400 lb sight glass was sitting on my ring!

caught high school ring on the roof of my house and cut finger up to the next joint. had to roll a match cover around finger to get the ring to slide off...not much of a ring wearer any more....

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master
    Lost my ring 24 years ago in an accident at work along with my finger. Docs put my finger back together but could do nothing for the ring. Hand surgeon suggested that if I wanted to retain my fingers I should refrain from wearing rings. Took what was left of my ring home to my wife and told her the story after driving home with my hand all bandaged up, hard to do with a stick! She said that she would prefer that I keep my fingers. She did keep the pieces that were left.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Master
    I cleared the snow off my windshield once with my bare hand, then I wrung my hand to throw off the 'wet'. If I didn't hear a faint 'ting' when it hit a bare patch in the parking lot it would have been a while before I missed it. My skin was a bit numb from the cold and I could not feel it's absence. I don't do that anymore.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Quote Originally Posted by wallenba View Post
    I cleared the snow off my windshield once with my bare hand, then I wrung my hand to throw off the 'wet'. If I didn't hear a faint 'ting' when it hit a bare patch in the parking lot it would have been a while before I missed it. My skin was a bit numb from the cold and I could not feel it's absence. I don't do that anymore.
    Neighbor kids got on the school bus telling us they were in serious trouble. They pointed at their Mother's car saying they were sent out to scrape the ice off the windshield. They had a brainstorm thinking about the awful job ahead of them. THey ran out with a pail of warm water throwing it on the windshield cracking every inch of the glass! Not as serious as losing a wedding ring but still up there.

TED

Boolit Master

H+_) I like it. Got divorced in '06 and I still wear the ring. Keeps those young things from making passes at this old fart. I do not need any more complications. I was so used to it that I feel naked without it. It is just part of me. The ex and I are still friends and see each other weekly for dinner and such and have a purely platonic relationship and may even get together again for financial reasons and people still think we are married but separated. It is not of their business.

Insurance companies still think we are married and that helps a lot with medical bills etc. However there are some females who take a wedding ring as a challenge and want to conquer the old fart just to prove a point. I have a lady neighbor who has been putting the moves on me for the last year with all kinds of approaches. Today she is out there with a week wacker trimming my lawn and all around the trailer. She brings me food and is still trying to scale the mountain. She is a tasty little dish but I learned a long time ago to never poop where you eat so she willl remain at arms length.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Very few so far have had the gutts to explain the real reason why those rings are so dangerous.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tommygirlMT View Post
    Very few so far have had the gutts to explain the real reason why those rings are so dangerous.
    You naughty girl.
    Or have I misunderstood you?
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy
    I know a guy that was playing basketball and went up for a slam dunk and his ring caught on one of the net hooks. He came down with only a third of his finger! Ouch!!!

Boolit Bub
    Lost my ring in my first marriage taking it off to do work (Electrician here) but decided that losing a finger would be easier than losing another ring in my second (final) marriage.

Boolit Master
    Been married oh for 29 yrs. Wore a wedding band for a couple of months afterwards. Worked as a weldor and fitter in oilfield construction. The first time I got some fire and hot slag down my welding glove and that ring stopped me from shaking if off quickly enough was the last time I wore one. Don't even remember what I did with it.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

Boolit Mold

Do i have to wear wedding rings upon our wedding by the judge?

I and my boyfriend decided to go sign for the marriage certificate this coming Friday. We are lack of information about marriage stuff. One of my friends have just told me thay we need to exchange the wedding rings in front of the judge. The other one said we dont need to exchange the rings in front of the judge, but we are supposed to wear the rings before come to the marriage.
    Please help me clear. I'm so confused now, and nervous too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MKrueger View Post
    I and my boyfriend decided to go sign for the marriage certificate this coming Friday. We are lack of information about marriage stuff. One of my friends have just told me thay we need to exchange the wedding rings in front of the judge. The other one said we dont need to exchange the rings in front of the judge, but we are supposed to wear the rings before come to the marriage.
    Please help me clear. I'm so confused now, and nervous too.
    How about calling the judge's office and asking them? Hopefully they'll steer you straight!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.