RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: sandwich wrap paper

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Not all Charlie.

You are right though, most of the guys on the smokeless forum seem to use standard GG moulds sized down before patching or after patching or both.

Longbow
    You are correct. When I used "all", that was an absolute...which is almost never supportable.

I read a lot of the smokeless threads, but reply to them only occasionally.
    I learned my lesson about SP PP Methodology when I replied to a thread (a long time ago) where a guy was asking which of his greasers he should size down for paper patching. Being unfamiliar with such a novel concept, I suggested he "do it right" and look into a smooth-sided design that casts at the desired diameter. I mentioned the improved aerodynamics as the 'kicker' which made it the only reasonable route.

BOY, did I get my head handed to me!!! I got it from so many sides, I felt like Custer.

So, though I know there are exceptions, to me "all smokeless paper patchers size down greasers for paper patching"...or at least all of the leaders in that methodology appear to.

The glaring exception is 303guy. Not content to squash a greaser from a Lee two-banger...he decides what he thinks he wants, and drills a mould for it.
    I don't like any of his bullets, but I sure like his style.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 04-03-2010 at 01:46 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master

Charlie:

I make simple pushout moulds like the old Ideal PP moulds. They are smooth sided and I make a reamer to produce the size I want for paper patching so I don't have to size before or after patching.

The first was for my .44 Marlin since it has a typical oversize Marlin barrel and I couldn't find a mould fat enough for GG boolits, the second was for my .308 and modeled after the Lyman 310620 at 200 grs. except no grooves at all (the Lyman had very shallow grooves).

If made like the Ideal with sliding nose form the weight is adjustable which is convenient. If the mould is properly made the boolits about drop out without needing the ejector. Makes me wonder why smooth split moulds are made.

Like I said though I do not do a lot of paper patching so am certainly not an expert by any means. Also, I am not going to claim my methods would win any trophies in competition either. They have worked for what I wanted them for so that's what matters to me.

All my experience (such as it is) is with smokeless powder... so far anyway. Since this is the BP paper patching forum I will leave it there.

Every time I log on I learn something here. It is all good stuff.

Longbow

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    The glaring exception is 303guy. Not content to squash a greaser from a Lee two-banger...he decides what he thinks he wants, and drills a mould for it.
    I don't like any of his bullets, but I sure like his style.
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Charlie:

I make simple pushout moulds like the old Ideal PP moulds. They are smooth sided and I make a reamer to produce the size I want for paper patching so I don't have to size before or after patching.
    Oh, Yeah!
    I didn't forget that you do it, too, but I may have lost track of your username as being the other one (besides 303guy) who does it.

I like your style, too.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master

Right back at ya charlie. I always enjoy your posts.

SP Paper Patchers

Man....there's some WEIRD folks over there!! They're the kind that would cut both their legs off at the knees to try to invent another set that they could walk on!!

WEIRD!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"