Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: effective distance of cast bullets

Boolit Mold

effective distance of cast bullets

I was going through some of the group buys section and it seems that of the post I read that dealt with the topic most of the cast bullets are only effective for about 200 yards. Is that correct? What causes them to be only effective for that range if that is true?

It's not bad for my handguns, or my 30-30 or SKS. But I'm getting a Remington 700 308 and I'm looking for 800m. So are cast bullets unable to go this far or be effective this far?

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke2236 View Post
    I was going through some of the group buys section and it seems that of the post I read that dealt with the topic most of the cast bullets are only effective for about 200 yards. Is that correct? What causes them to be only effective for that range if that is true?

It's not bad for my handguns, or my 30-30 or SKS. But I'm getting a Remington 700 308 and I'm looking for 800m. So are cast bullets unable to go this far or be effective this far?

Thanks.
    800m with a jacketed bullet is a challenge with a 308 win, doing it with cast is not impossible but will be hard work.
    at the cast boolit shoot in winnemucca we shot at 400yds and were hitting. from the bench we hit close 100 percent.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Mold
    I was reading on another list that one would need to "age" or "aneel" the cast bullets and gas check them for these distances. Do you think this is correct?

Boolit Master
    I have to ask what do you think about the folks shooting silhouette out to 500 yards or the folks shooting buffalo gong to 800 yards or how about the long range shooters shooting to 1000 and even 1200 yards with cast boolits?
    They are not using barns for targets. I can tell you for sure that standing off at these ranges and having someone like Dave Guelo (spelling) put you in his sights you would end up with better ventilation than you have now from those ineffective cast boolits.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Grand Master

Many .30 cal rifle cast bullets are suitable for some decent shooting out to 500 yards when the muzzle velocity is sufficient to keep them transonic at that range. The problem with .30 cal rifle cast bullets is to get one with with a BC sufficient to sustain transonic flight past 500 yards at a muzzle velocity with acceptable accuracy. With a 10" twist barrel the 311299 is about the best choice at 2000 - 2100 fps if you can maintain an accuacy level (i.e. 22 shot strings as in a NMC match) of 1.5 - 2 moa. That is not easy to do with a 10" twist.

Better is the 12" twist (some Remingtons are available with 12" twists in .308W) as it is easier to maintain that level of accuracy at that velocity level. If you can push 2200 fps and maintain accuracy all the better because, depending on altitude and humidity, you are pushing the transonic barrier at 600 yards.

Another consideration is available sight adjustment. Assuming you'll use a scope note it take about 32 moa for a 311299 at 2200 fps to go from a 100 yard zero to a 600 yard zero. Unless you have one of the high end specialty target/sniper scopes with gobs of elevation a regular 1" scope with about 45 total moa elevation adjustment will require the base be shimmed (or a 20 degree base used) so the 100 yard zero is close to the bottom of the elevation adjustment. You will not have enough adjust with a standard 1" scope to go from a 100 yard zero to a 800 yard zero.

BPC shooters shoot a lot out to 1000 yards with bullets of simular BCs to the 311299. However, the larger .375 to .45 cal bullets are much more forgiving as they are either already under or actually in the transonic barrier area at muzzle velocities of 1050 to 1400 fps. Also the sights require around 200 moa adjustment from 100 to 1000 yards. Ballistically it is a whole different game with those cartridges, sights and rifles and one of which a scope sighted .308W is not well suited for when using cast bullets.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

They are as effective as they need to be for what ever you intend to use them. If you are satisfied with what you are using at what ever range you are shooting than that is the effective range. Also depends on many many variables including vol, blt design, BH, plain based or GC, blt weight, quality of rifle or handgun, ability of the shooter, etc. etc. etc.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Mold
    My 700 has a 12" twist. I have a Mueller scope, so sighting won't be a problem, i.e. the equipment is good but I'm not the consistent variable.

Didn't the original Sharps rifle shoot cast boolits out to 1000 yards? Distance is one thing, and accuracy is another. The ability to make symmetrical boolits is the key to accuracy. Boolit shape/design is the key to distance.

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse. Mark Twain

Boolit Master

In the late 1800s the Gov. changed the 45/70/405 to the 45/70/500 to get better 1000 yard performance. This was in the days of 1200 to 1400 fps muzzle velocities with black powder. Today the 45/70 with Ranch Dog 350 or 425 grain projectiles is quite able to compete at longer ranges with some amazing accuracy. The problem is launching at sufficient velocity to maintain super or trans sonic speeds downrange and the amount of recoil I'm willing to suffer to do it.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Grand Master

My 700 has a 12" twist. I have a Mueller scope, so sighting won't be a problem, i.e. the equipment is good but I'm not the consistent variable.
    That is a very good set up. You might want to look into paper patching. Lyman's 301620 might be a good one as would 311467, 311334 and 311299. Pushed along at 2400 -2600 fps they should hold to your specified 800m range.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Boolit Master
    I must apologise for what may have been a not so friendly answer. So, sorry I was of no help at all.
    However I see that Larry had everything you needed so I am glad to see you did get very good answers to your questions.
    Be sure to let us know how goes the long range shooting with your 308.
    BIC/BS

Super Moderator

............The British were the kings of long range shooting (300, 600, 800, 900, 1000, 1200, and 1400 yards) and this was with mainly 45 caliber muzzle loaders. Some later 50 cals were used. The early 1870's saw the epitome of this marksmanship. The lead slugs were cast, swaged, lathe turned, and also paper patched or combinations thereof. The rifles were sofisticated and very carefully made, and obviously costly. The only propellant was black powder.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

In Remembrance

Consider Billy Dixon's shot at over 1500 yds. to take an Indian off his horse in 1874. This was done with a 50 cal. How good was the quality control on gun bores and moulds and sizers then? Should the average caster not be able to turn out a better boolit today?

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    You only get out what you put in.
    What I mean by that is just what was said.
    You have to work at it and see what works for you.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

DCLTEX,Hi.Where can I find out about Billy Dixon.Am interested as I have heard him mentioned several times. Thanks.

Banned
    How do you like the Mueller scope? I've got a couple on my 10/22's and like them. Just not sure how a $125 scope would hold up on a larger caliber. These scopes are as clear as anything on the market.

I have a remington 700p in .308 that has the 1 in 12 twist you speak of. The only thing I have tried in the gun is 150 gr Winchester power points. ( I actually purchased this gun for my kids to shoot deer with, Its HEAVY so it dont kick. ) It'll only print 1.25 inch groups with the factory loading. I recently acquired some 168gr A-max slugs, should shrink the group size considerably with this twist rate.

Quote Originally Posted by chaos View Post
    It'll only print 1.25 inch groups with the factory loading. I recently acquired some 168gr A-max slugs, should shrink the group size considerably with this twist rate.
    With a good hand load or even Federal GMM that rifle should shoot .75 MOA out of the box. The 1-12 twist does tend to favor the 168gr bullets though. The heaviest I go with mine is 175 for 800-1,000 yds with the 168 for 300-600 in F- class.
    Μολών Λaβέ!

"Since you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of
    freedom - I'll go from you in peace...Enjoy licking the hands that feed you. May your chains sit lightly
    upon you, and may posterity forget that I was your countryman." - Samuel Adams

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sav300 View Post
    DCLTEX,Hi.Where can I find out about Billy Dixon.Am interested as I have heard him mentioned several times. Thanks.
    Do a Google search on "The Battle of Adobe Walls". Many of the claims about the battle are disputed, including the 1538 yard shot.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." -Gerald Ford

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." -Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Talking

One thing not mentioned here is the effective range of the shooter. Long range shooting is an art in itself that requires lots of trigger time and dedication, you don't just plop yourself down on the firing line and start yanking the trigger. One of the best things that you can do for training is learn to shoot smallbore prone first. There are others here that will attest to this and that it is harder then highpower.