RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Seating PP Bullets

Seating PP Bullets

I have always seated my PP bullets into the mouth of the case by hand but I have discovered what I think is a better way. I've always used a Meacham Inline Seating tool to seat GG bullets....which I seldom shoot these days....and it recently hit me like the proverbial 'ton of bricks' that this tool might be good for seating PP bullets also. I tried it today and it works like a champ! Using a 22 degree chamfer tool on the mouth of the case helps with any alignment problem with the bullet going into the case correctly and when the charged case is run up against the guide sleeve...I just insert the patched bullet measuring .4495" to .4500" into the slot and then the bullet is seating into the case with the continuing downward stroke of the press handle!! Paper does not tear and alignment is perfect. This photo shows a 'greaser' in the guide slot but the PP works just as well here!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...ter/13f6-2.jpg
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

In Remembrance
    What's this? Looks like a discussion about 'classic' paper patching, not one on substituting paper for cloth in a muzzle loader.

If you have been thumb seating your PP bullets (I do that, too) isn't it an unnecessary 'complication' to have to run the case up into yet another die?

I am down to where depriming and powder compression are the only two times I stroke the press handle.

Does that in-line seater do a 'crimp' (or something) that you can't get by without?

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Charlie with thick wall brass or tight shambers the case is tight to the bullet even after firing and it at times is kinda difficult to seat without flaring the case mouth a tad, even when using the chamfer tool . so this would keep it going straight and stop that every so once in a while torn patch , ... kinda like seating with neck tension. a pretty good idea, thanks for the idea rick.
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by powderburnerr View Post
    Charlie with thick wall brass or tight shambers the case is tight to the bullet even after firing.
    I know that, Dean.
    But Rick said he has been seating by hand. Sounds like his necks are not as tight as yours. It is from that spot that I asked the question.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

When I prep my case for a PP bullet I first place a tapered crimp on the case mouth with a special die that makes a taper that is long and gentle not one that looks like a bottle neck case you might get from a bushing die that might get the reduced case mouth off center like some of the custom bushing dies make. I have a expanding plug I turned down to expand the case mouth enough to hold the bullet by .001 and some at .002 and the bullet is seated with a in line seating die. everything is nuts on with no run out.
    And I do a lot of finger seating also for some of the other calibers like the .45-90 were I use cut down Norma cases that are the proper neck wall thickness that I dont have to do any sizing and the swaged .446 unpatched patched diameter bullet is held by .0015" neck tension using .0022 thick paper.

Kurt

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I use a 45 acp seating die with the taper crimp to seat pp in loose cases, in the cut down Normas I need to flare just a bit then seat the bullet using the 45 acp die.
    That acp die only has about 1 thread holding it in the press, and the seating stem will fall out if you're not careful.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

charlie the second part , seating with neck tension , is neck sizing to get the proper tension on the bullet before you seat.. even with pp. ...dean
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

My brass is RMC measuring 0.0165" to 0.0170" wall thickness and after using the 22 degree chamfer tool...bullet insertion by hand can be somewhat tedious. The fit is SNUG to say the least!! Using the inline seater is a BREEZE and with just a tat of powdered graphite onto the patch......slicker than snot on a doorknob!!

And Charlie...with 110 grs. Swiss 1F.....I don't even compress!!

Sizing??

Ain't none!! With RMC thick walled brass.....that's part of the benefit of using this brass; no sizing needed!! All need be done is deprime, clean as needed, charge the case and seat the bullet!!