MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Lee 358-158-RF questions

Lee 358-158-RF questions

I read through some old posts about the Lee 358-158-RF. I have been thinking about purchasing that mold to make bullets for IDPA. I see the usual complaints about Lee quality. I have purchased Lee molds in the past and I am ready to take that chance. The bullet will be used in a S&W 66 and/ or S&W 686. My questions are:
    1. What kind of accuracy can I expect at the velocity of 800 fps?
    2. How large is the meplat? Is it small enough to facilitate a fast reload?
    3. I am looking at a 2 cavity but if it all comes around, I may want a six cavity. Is this one of Lee's designs that differ in design from a 2 cavity to 6 cavity?

Any other experiences with this bullet in the 38 case would be appriciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Mark

Boolit Master
    Funny, I was just playing around with that bullet tonight in conjunction with my first ever Smith.

My throats are about .3565 - the mold casts about .360. When I size down to .357, I wipe the crimp groove out. My 6 cavity has a small crimp groove - it would be a problem with this application.

Other than that, I really like this bullet once I had the bevel base removed.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Buddy
    I use that bullet in a T.C. .357 Max and a FA83 .357 mag. 7.5 gr Bullseye in both. Shoots great. I wouldn't shoot that load in a Smith, maybe a Ruger, but would work up to it.
    Clyde

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    Funny, I was just playing around with that bullet tonight in conjunction with my first ever Smith.

My throats are about .3565 - the mold casts about .360. When I size down to .357, I wipe the crimp groove out. My 6 cavity has a small crimp groove - it would be a problem with this application.

try using brass case lube instead of alox before sizing. There is a difference. That is if you use the Lee sizer. You can wash the case lube off in hot soap and water. then add alox.

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse. Mark Twain

Boolit Master
    Lee 6 cavity molds cost about double the 2 cavity price but you get a lot better mold for the money with exception to the handles not included in 6 cavity. 2 cavity molds are IMO "cheezy" at best.
    I use that mold and love it. The meplat is about 1/4" and does work pretty good with speed loaders. Also that bullet design drops out of the mold very well compared to some others.
    As for accuracy, I cannot tell a difference from commercial SWCs or Lee SWC 158s.
    I'm not a great shooter but can get 1" groups at 25' easy enough. I can't say if its the boolit or the shooter that can't do better if not both.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Banned

IMO no, it's not good for fast reloads, it has a pretty big meplat. I'd go for a round nose of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    Lee 6 cavity molds cost about double the 2 cavity price but you get a lot better mold for the money with exception to the handles not included in 6 cavity. 2 cavity molds are IMO "cheezy" at best.
    I use that mold and love it. The meplat is about 1/4" and does work pretty good with speed loaders. Also that bullet design drops out of the mold very well compared to some others.
    As for accuracy, I cannot tell a difference from commercial SWCs or Lee SWC 158s.
    I'm not a great shooter but can get 1" groups at 25' easy enough. I can't say if its the boolit or the shooter that can't do better if not both.
    I concur with Iwknight..For me it is the best pistol boolit I have apart from the RCBS 35-200-FN. The LEE 158RF I have drops out at .3585 and is the roundest at less that 1/4 thou outta round. It shoots as good as my RCBS 148swc in my Smith 686.
    And it's ok with speedloaders. The catch is with buying a two cavity ~ you don't know how good it will shoot so you go with the two cavity ~ I should have gone with the 6 banger. It cuts holes in paper just as good as wadcutter's.
    Lead foot;

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    IMO no, it's not good for fast reloads, it has a pretty big meplat. I'd go for a round nose of some sort.
    Most round nose molds that I see have a "lip" on the outer edge (such as Lyman #358311). Lee has a true round nose without the lip but it is only @150 grains. That extra 8 grains is a lot in IDPA Minor and the 38 Special.
    Thanks for the advice all,
    mark