Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thompson Center

Boolit Bub
    my 7 tcu with h332 and 120 nosler ballistic tip is deadly on anything inside 200 yards.185 yd deer this year,bang flop.

WHERE THE HELL IS FARMVILLE??

bullberry does a 6.5x30. No advantage over a 7-30 waters but is a wildcat. 7-30 waters ammo and brass are available. 7TCU is a fun barrel had one years ago but not in the same class as 7-30. The 30-30 14 inch barrels are a good choice because ammo is available anywhere that sells ammo.

What Babore says about sizing... is the facts. You can still get some barrels to shoot well, but if you know what is happening then you can troubleshoot the ones that don't.

The contender tops out powerwise at a 444 marlin. To get that you have to rechamber a 44 mag bbl.

7-30 Waters is a very good place to start. If you find a 14 in 30-30 bbl try it, It can be rechambered to 308 bellm if its not a shooter. The biggest problem with contender bbl is poor chambers. If you get an Encore get Bergera bbls they are cheaper and much better

Boolit Master
    I have the 7tc/u,7-30 and 6.5JDJ. Also the 30-30,35 rem 45-70 and 358JDJ. ALL of them have been used on deer and other critters at one time on another! The 6.5 jdj has accounted for many deer in excess of 200 yards. MY 7-30 barrel shoots best with factory Federal ammo,and I have tried a LOT of hand loads in it. It is about 200/250 fps faster than the 7tc/u with top loads. Will that velocity loss/gain mean that much to a deer at 200 yards or less? I can tell you this, MY FIRST choice for hunting is the 6.5JDJ with a 2.5x8 Leupold scope. 2nd is the 7tc/u in either 14" or 21" when deer are on the list. for ground hogs, I often take the 10" 7tc/u WITH the 6.5JDJ.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys. The MGM site looks good. So many choices.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

The MGM site is interesting.The 7x30 with the 1 in 11 twist was shooting very well with 4895 and 2520.I really like that everybody is happy with their 357 max and hornady condum bullets.They shoot cast well also from what his customers have said.I've got a rifle reamer in 357 max coming,should make a good cast boolit shooter.I was on the GBO forum and it seems the 7x30 is the most popular.I'm tempted to get a 22 inch MGM 7x30 barrel with the 1 in 11 twist.

Boolit Man
    exile, I have had the exact same experience that BABore explained above. The Bellm T/C site is an excellent resourse for any break action rifle; Prohunter, Encore, Contender, H&R etc. These rifles (and pistols) can be extremely accurate but some different reloading procedures should be considered for the specific firearm (not harder, just different). My brother, my son and I have these rifles and all of them shoot very well. Another plus, you can buy barrels from several custom barrel makers in all those wonderful wildcat chamberings that work really well.

Boolit Master
    I am still considering this issue. I am just about convinced that what I want is an Encore rifle in .260 Remington, mainly because I am thinking I can use .308 brass. However a website I visited stated that the .260 Remington is .020" longer than the .308 brass. Does this mean I cannot safely form .260 Remington brass from .308 brass? Also which has greater powder capacity, .260 Remington or 6.5 Swedish Mauser? I thought the 6.5 Mauser, but I could be wrong (too lazy to go downstairs and look at my reloading manuals I guess.) Thanks,

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

It would be a lot of work. You will almost have to turn necks. Would be best to get 243 and go up.

Boolit Bub

Re:tc

I would not buy one unless you were NEVER planning to use cast bullets.To state it planly, there barrels ARE JUNK-my father bought one in 32-40 and was planning to shoot it with cast bullets.He didn't after the first time he shot it, it leaded worse than any gun he ever owned.It was rough as a cobb inside, good for jacketed bulllets i suppose, but lead, forget it. He'b been shooting cast bullets for thirty years at that point.He said that was the worst barrel he ever saw, incuding some old rusted rolling blocks he bought.

Here is 2 of my newest 3 barrels. One is a 6mm Rem made by MGM and the other is a factory Pro Hunter 300 Win Mag. Both look like they going to be great barrels. I have seen $4000 custom rifles not shoot like this. No fire lapping or anything on my part. I see a lot of people claiming that there guns wont shoot. I havent had that problem.

Drive that over sized hinge pin in and void your warranty. If its loose send it back to TC and make them fix it.

These groups were fired from the 6mm. 200 yards. Total of 25 rounds has been through it. These are the first loads for the gun.

This is a group fired from the 300 Win Mag. 300 yards. 200 grain Accubonds. and yes there were more groups like this besides this one.

Boolit Master

Talking

exile, just buy the 260 Remington brass no work no fuss and properly marked. Some people are buying Lapua 243 brass to make high grade brass for match rifles. Personally for a hunting rifle I just bought Remington brass for my Browning 1885 Low Wall in 260 Remington and I am happy with it.

Boolit Buddy
    singleshotman,
    I have several of the custom shop bbls and several off the shelf and I've not had any problem using them with cast. I'd say TC has the sam problem as any company, sometimes one gets through that shouldn't. The question is what do they do about it when you send it back? So far I've had nothing but good customer service out of them.

You could just go with a 308.Some very good groups can be had,it wins a lot of matches.Molds and brass are easy to find.My rem shoots half moa with condum bullets.It would probably do as well with cast but I got a 30-30 for that.150 grain bullets don't kick hard and drop deer very well from my Mtn rifle.

Boolit Mold
    ...and for my first post on this forum...

...another concurrence with BABore's comments. I observed precisely the same effects with my 280 AI and found a lot of answers at Mike Bellm's website (bellmtcs.com). Full-length resizing to deliver .001" headspace (I have a barrel-to-frame gap of .002") makes a world of difference in accuracy.

My main question now is how many FL resizing cycles my Nosler brass will tolerate before going south. I'm up to five on some of it now but wondering...

Good forum BTW

MA