RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: redding t-7 a good press?

Boolit Mold

redding t-7 a good press?

I am looking to get a turret press for rifle and bpcr. I have looked at all of the current turret models and to me the t-7 looks to be the sturdiest of all of them, however there is a pretty disturbing thread on this forum that has me a little scared of this press and reddings customer service. So to the point: Does anybody own this press and are you happy with the quality of operation and the quality of your ammunition?

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

It's a good press and for me, I own a ton of Redding dies and equipment and have never had a single problem with Redding's customer service.

Boolit Mold
    I've owned many presses in my time and have settled on three. Reddings T7 and their
    Ultramag. The other is a P-W Metal-Matic P-200. They all are top self in every way in my opinion.
    Lotec,
    Keeping it simple is hard...

Boolit Buddy

I have no idea of their customer service, I've had no occasion to use it. Great press!!

Le Loup Solitaire

Redding T-7

I've had two of these for around 6-7 years and they have worked hard for me without any kind of problem. That is really understating it; They are massive beasts. Seven hole turrets that are interchangeable, plenty of leverage and strength; you can case form and swage and the spent primers go down the ram into a tube. What I thought would have been good for me as a lefty would have been a LH hole in the swing linkage, but it isn't there. Lots of clearance up front where you can see everything that is going on. Its a good solid press that will last a very long time. Mounts solidly to the bench; just keep it oiled/greased. LLS

My only regret about my T-7 is that I own only one of them. Seriously!! I'd love to have another. Great press.

I have found Redding customer service to be responsive and professional. No complaints.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Moderator Emeritus
    I have the Redding T7 and the Ultramag which I have found to be both very fine presses. I use the T7 a lot for loading low velocity fullbore loads using 4-5 gns fast pistol powders.

I neck expand (Lyman M die), seat primer and drop powder (Lee Pro Disk, RCBS Little Dandy or Lyman Accumeasure) on the T7.

I'm not usually a fan of press mounted priming systems but I do like the one on the T7.

I neck resize and boolit seat on a Forster press.

The trick in getting best value from any turret is to use it as a turret press and not as a single station with a die storage facility.

I cannot comment on Reddiings customer service as I have never used them much, the only time I did contact them was for a shell holder retaining spring which I knacked when removing the ram for cleaning, they sent a repalcement FoC by return along with instructions for fitting.

My Redding experience and kit is at least 5 years old now.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Grand Master

If you get the T-7 make very sure that the ram and the dies line up, mine does not. Redding refused to honor their own written warranty and then sent out an email that slandered me. How's that for customer service?

Buy Redding at your own peril and only if you can afford to be out the money with nothing to show for it.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    No matter who made a conventional turret press or how massive it might be, the turret head has more "spring" to it than is ideal for precision reloading. If not, that head couldn't rotate. And the "C" design can't possibly be as rigid as an "O" press. Second thing, the die head registration can't possibly be as precise as a single stage.

I started reloading with a turret six station press. Soon locked it down hard on one of the best two registred holes for loading rifle stuff; just made it a funny looking single stage. Later I got a proper single stage and I only use the old press for handgun ammo because its natural limitations don't really matter for that duty.
    Last edited by 1hole; 04-01-2010 at 08:48 PM.

Boolit Master

I have a T-7 and really like it have'nt had any problem's. I have never had to call customer service so I have no input there. FB

A while back on the the TFF forum there were some major concerns regarding the Redding T-7 quality not being what is expected (alignment issues), plus Redding Customer Service didn't get very high marks either.

Thought I'd pass this along...

Boolit Grand Master

And there are a few here that are convinced it's just me.

Buy Redding at your peril!

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

My T-7 has been a fine tool for about 10 years or more.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Mold
    I've only had mine about 6 months now but i love mine zero problems out of it

Boolit Master
    you can't buy better quality than Redding. Why don't you phone Reddings service tecs and ask about the specs and Guarantee , you might even get the other side of Cbricks story.

Boolit Bub
    I would not be without mine. It is the only press I use. I love not having to swich dies all the time, just set 'em and forget 'em. I also have not had to contact Redding in the 4-5 years I have owned it.

Turret presses have long been know as "pistol presses" because they have to have a certain amount of slop to function. That being said, I have my dies set to take out all of the "give" it is possible to take out of the turret head. I am sure a Co-Ax is more accurate, but Wilson dies and an arbor press are more accurate than a Co-Ax and my T-7 is certainly easier and faster to use then either of them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    you can't buy better quality than Redding. Why don't you phone Reddings service tecs and ask about the specs and Guarantee, you might even get the other side of Cbricks story.
    When you call ask for Robin Sharpless.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

I'm really interested to hear these reports of the T-7 being "springy" and ill-suited to precision loading.

My experience is that, loading .308 for 1000 yard competition, the press holds bullet seating accuracy to .001 tolerances with a Redding Competition seating die.

I guess I'm just not particular enough about this stuff....
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master
    Precision Shooting had an article on testing the flex in presses, one of the most rigid was an old Lyman C press with a massive back support.

Boolit Master
    "I'm really interested to hear these reports of the T-7 being "springy" and ill-suited to precision loading."

August, no one has suggested the T-7 is an inferiour press, we simply pointed out the inherent facts of such a turret design. Seems maybe you missread what I meant.

It's a mechanical fact that a typical turret press is more springy than a single stage, can't be otherwise. It's also a mechanical fact that no multipule series of die holes can be consistantly located precisely or the head be precisely turned and indexed repeatedly in line with the ram. Whether or not any of that makes a difference to anyone is a personal thing but they should be aware of it before buying such a costly device.

Being a long range competitor is one thing, being a winner can be another.
    Last edited by 1hole; 04-01-2010 at 08:50 PM.