RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swaging .224 cal bullets - Part2

Shortening and slightly radiusing the derimming punch has also worked very well for me.

Reducing the diam of that punch also reduces effort, but I find that if the diam is reduced too much, a variable amount of a slight fold or ring remains where the inside radius of the case rim was.

I prefer that the cases are not just derimmed, but ironed completely smooth. Not sure how much difference it makes, but I try to keep everything as consistent as possible.

That's just how I like it! Keep on keepin on!
    Last edited by sagacious; 02-27-2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Image folder cleared- photo removed

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin7mm View Post
    With your current method what is your % of good bullets where the cases dont fold on point forming.
    Bret
    I get very few bullets with the jacket that folds over anymore.
    I was going to post a picture of one but could not find any.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I was going to post a picture of one but could not find any.
    You talking about jackets that do this?

Boolit Master

Yea, those are the ones I couldn't find!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow okay i really want to learn/do swaging .....
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

Boolit Bub
    Hickory:

I think I shall have a short de-rimming pin made instead of cutting off mine. That way I can leave the die set and just change pins.

22 Short cases make a nice little 35 grain bullet. .600 J4s make a 41grainer.

I finally have a 22 Hornet that wants to shoot so I'm getting ready to have serious go at it. Lil'Gun, pistol primers, quality bullets, precision reloading and 30x scope may end years of frustration.

Swage On!

Jim

Boolit Master
    What weight are these bullets and how consistent are they with the 2 hulls ?
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Boolit Master
    Okay Hickory, I found part one. This is really way cool. Is it possible to do this for 224 bullets, from start to finish on a Rock Chucker press?

Boolit Bub
    griz189:

Indeed you can do the entire job on an RCBS RC. Do it all time with good results.

I'm from Benton.

Swage On!

Jim

jdjframes,

What brand of dies do you use to make 224 bullets with a RCBS RC?

Thanks
    Skip

Arguing with an Idiot makes you an idiot

My Grandpa

Boolit Bub
    Uncleskippy:

I have an old set of Frank Hempstead dies I got in the early 70s - derimming die, core swage, core seater and point die.

Also have a set of Larry Blackmon dies and press. He modifies the RC for swaging using his dies. Can use the same dies in his press if you decide to upgrade.

By the way, some of the finest carbide die makers modify RCs to make some of the finest bullets money can buy - nothing wrong with the RC.

Swage On!

Jim

I agree. I love my RC. I was just wondering if you could use Larry's dies without modifying the RC?
    Skip

Arguing with an Idiot makes you an idiot

My Grandpa

Boolit Bub
    Uncleskippy:

Larry modifies the RC a bit. Takes about 2 minutes to return to reloading mode. He will furnish the drill bit and jig for a DIY job, or do it for you.

A set of his dies and an RC will make as good a bullet as the average shooter needs. The BR crowd goes for custom carbide dies, and that is OK if one has several thousand $$ floating around and plans to make thousands of bullets per year. Some BR types who make bullets just for themselves do quite well with Larry's dies.

Can get his address next week, don't have it at home. Nice guy to deal, dentist by trade.

Swage On!

Jim

Okay guys. I spend more time on here just reading and learning from everyone than I do posting, but I'm highly interested in this process. Aside from this thread, can y'all point me in a direction where I can learn more about it?
    I've talked to many people who've done it and they love it. I've shot some swaged bullets in others guns but have never shot any in mine!! I've always thought it would be fun to do and would be rewarding as well.
    I'd like to do it for .30 Cal Rifle, .223 and my .45 ACP. Any help y'all can give would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

Boolit Bub
    40sandwfan:

The posts by Hickory will give you as good a picture of bullet swaging as you will get anywhere.

Corbins.com has a wealth of info, books,etc. Check them out. Both Corbin brothers,
    Dave and Richard, make presses and dies. Both have their following and both have their detractors. Can't please everyone all the time.

Swaqing is fun, interesting, fascinating and can get expensive if you let it. If possible, try to find someone local, or at least semi-local, who swages and see if you can get together. Some hands-on experience and guidance is worth big $$.

Swage On!

Jim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjframes View Post
    griz189:

Indeed you can do the entire job on an RCBS RC. Do it all time with good results.

I'm from Benton.

Swage On!

Jim
    Hey Jim, down here in Magnolia, you know, LA (lower arkansas). Where do I get the dies to do this with? If you could, pm me with info. And also info on what mods need to be done to RC. Thanks Ricky

Boolit Bub
    Felix:

I'm in Benton.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Bret.
    Do you push the jacket through the die in one stroke or just enough to have it strip off of the pin, and force it through with the next one?

I can’t see how it is possible to do it in one stroke, so you must do the ladder.
    I use to do the second method. But I found that when forming the point, the mouth of the jacket was deformed enough that it was hard get more than 80% good bullets without something going wrong.

Yea, it takes a little longer, but I try to protect the mouth of the jacket.
    Hickory,
    Another thing you can do to avoid having to knock each one out the bottom is to use a seperate punch pin to push them through. The die sets Richard Corbin supplied me always have this extra pin for the longer jackets. You mearly push up as far as you can in one stroke. Then you insert the push through pin (about a 1" pin slightly smaller diameter than the derimming pin). This gets the jacket through the die completely so you dont damage the mouth of the case.
    I am not sure of your set up but I did a bunch last night and did not damage any jacket mouths. As long as you get the mouth of the jacket past the radiused portion of the die I do not have a problem. On really long cases (ie 22mags or when drawing other calibers down and the jackets are over about 1.115" long) I use my push through pins)
    Bret

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    JDJ, look up milkman. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Bub
    Hickory:

Didn't tell you, but your photo sequence is as good as I've ever seen.

Your press is the "great grandfather" of the BSSP by Blackmon.