Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Lost" Gun

Boolit Master

"Lost" Gun

I sometimes wonder about Alzheimer's (even though the doctor says "No").

Yesterday I misplaced a 38 Special Smith. "Had to" take it out of my pocket to work on a project, and flat forgot about it until this morning. Then it's a big frantic search - got company with kids coming over tonight. Finally called SWMBO who knew where it was (of course) but wondered why I left it on the dining room table under some magazines. I don't know - stupid I guess.

It makes me wonder what's going on? Am I getting that scatter-brained?
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Boolit Buddy
    Gotta hate those "panic" moments! Was just at the range the other day trying a new load in a friends J frame, and when we went back to the rig he says "what did I do with the revolver?

Turned out he had set it on the ground while setting up a target. We almost drove off and left it!!!

Boolit Master

Well, it could'a been worse!
    My friend was loading up to take his wife to the range and as he started to get in he realized that he forgot something in the house. He placed his pistol that he was carrying on the roof of the car. He came back, jumped in and drove off. About a mile away from his house he heard a noise as he went around a corner but figured it was something in the road. a few minutes later he realized what he had done. He went back and searched until dark. Never found it and had to report it to the police.
    EW

Boolit Grand Master
    Left a rifle leaned up against the car once at the range. Put stuff in the back, closed the door, drove off. Had that funny feeling something wasn't right. Pulled over, looked in the back, no rifle.

Turned around and saw the cased rifle on the parking area dirt. Makes you feel kind of sheepish and dumb.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Been there done that, you are in a very large non-exclusive club. How about losing a gun while in the middle of 5th army matches. Forgot I had dropped it off at the armorers truck to get some minor repairs done because I had other things on my little pea picking mind. There were two colonels and a general a little upset with me. Didn't care, I was sure happy to get my gun back.
    Life Member of Wisconsin Libertarians, WGO, GOA, JPFO, NRA, American Legion and VFW

Don't mess with my momma, my flag or my apple pie

Boolit Master

When my folks were alive I would visit them often--they weren't of the gun sort.
    I would walk in and put my carry piece on top of there china closet. & 7 out of 10 times I would go home without it. It was a joke as to how long it would take me to remember and go back.
    couple a times it werent till I got in my drive-way. They always made coffee for me and acted like--PISTOL--WHAT PISTOL?--son you be careful with that thing.
    I was dancing up a storm one night in a club with this cute honey and my snubby came out of my ankle holster and saled across the dance floor, A sweety picked it up and yells out
    "Hey somebodys gat just two stepped across to me" Man you gotta love me.

Boolit Master

"Lost" an AR lower once - found it 2 years later in a box of motorcycle parts !

Banned

Did the same when I was young and supposed to have a brain. Set my .22 pistol on the roof of my car and drove all over. Found it when I got home, still in place because I had a rag top!

Never a gun but lost my fav knife field dessing a deer. looked all over the kill site and drag trail. no knife found it 2 days later when i cut up the deer i had left it in the chest cavity Clint

Smile Yep!

You guys are really helping me feel not so bad about myself. I thought that I was the only one. This "Old Timers' Disease" ain't for the faint of heart and it only gets worse.
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Boolit Buddy
    Never did it with a gun either since I mostly shoot at home, but I have done it while at work with a flashlight. I was doing something outside of my car and placed the light in the groove next to the wiper blades. Took me about 3 hours to finally realize where I had put the thing and that was after driving around town the entire time....wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that Streamlight flashlights aren't cheap.
    Sometimes I think we make things harder than they have to be

Boolit Master
    If my experience in this field is typical I can safely say that if any of you are hoping to out grow this childish behavior you can forget it. It will not improve.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Buddy

Don't feel bad. I lost a mint model 36 Chief's spl, square butt once.. Found it a year later in my sock drawer.. Still don't know how it got there....
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Aliens among us.
    Bob T

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuato View Post
    Don't feel bad. I lost a mint model 36 Chief's spl, square butt once.. Found it a year later in my sock drawer.. Still don't know how it got there....
    My older brother did something like that once. He was going on an extended vacation and hid his Mauser .25 1910 in case a burglar noticed the house being empty.
    He forgot where he put it and about five years later he found it in a large glass jar full of dried beans in the panrty.

Banned

while we're on the subject, can someone who still remembers refresh me on the quippy acronym for the "disease" that causes us to stand stupidly in the middle of a room we just entered wondering desperately WHY we went in there?

Gear

Boolit Master

My neighbors are tired of me coming over and asking them to call my cellphone so I can find it. I am forced to make notes to myself to plan the next day events so I am sort of organized.

I was getting tired to going to a store and forgetting what I cam there for. I misplaced the cylinder pin for my beloved Ruger BH Flatop about 6 months ago and I am going to have to get another one from Ruger.

When I moved I had to dissamble my Lazy Boy Recliner and I have yet to find the parts. Again during the last move I had to take apart my Dillon 550 and I still cannot find some parts for it. Thanks to the internet and detailed instructions on their website at least I know what I am missing.

The golden years of my retirement are losing their gilt. CRS and SFB are ruining my days. At least when I had a SWMBO there were two brains and she remembered some stuff........Alas now I live with a dog and he don't remember much either.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

I just can't tell you how much better this thread makes me feel.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Guys,

I see, I'm not the only one with "lost it" problems!

I picked up a nice set of wood grips for my P-13 Para at the Lakeland gun show in Fl. Spent a few days with the grand kids at Disney & came home to GA.

Tried the grips on the P-13 fit great.

Sent gun out for chrome plating!
    Gun comes back two months later, cannot locate the grips. I ripped the reloading room apart twice! I emptyed all the storage cabinets. Looked all over the house, including the garage.
    They were LOST for EIGHT 8 months (10 months, counting the time at the plater), One Saterday, I'm at the reloading bench, reach for a note pad! There they were!

I had cleared that table three times, because that's where I "thought" I put them!

Ha - HA ! My pal was married about two months. He went to the mall with the lovely new wife. They did some shopping, He got in the car, came home about a 1/2 hour later the phone rings ! He was watching a football game.... Boy, she was PISSED!
    Thirty years later, they still talk about it.

Best, broom

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    while we're on the subject, can someone who still remembers refresh me on the quippy acronym for the "disease" that causes us to stand stupidly in the middle of a room we just entered wondering desperately WHY we went in there?

Gear
    Right - it's . . . It's . . . Dang!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)